XP Installation Problem

My sons computer (Win98) was having alot of problems like GPF's and
Blue Screens so I talked him into getting XP. I did a re-format so I
could do a clean install. But everytime I try I get a blue sreen with
a long error message saying Driver_Irql_not_less_or_equal. There is
something about new hardware installed. Try unstalling. I've done some
research as suggestions were bad drivers, IRQ conflicts, etc. But on a
clean install, I can't update any drivers so I don't understand. I've
set the BIOS to default settings, booted with the XP CD, coppied the
files to the hd, nothing works. What can I do? The computer is an
Athalon 2ghrz, 256mb ram, CSI Via motherboard. Onboard GeForce 2.
Please don't say call MS Tech Support. You guys are smarter and easer
to deal with. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about installation problem

    What files are you copying,none are needed to install xp.Simply,boot to xp
    cd,
    at info screen select,install xp,new copy,delete the partition,create
    one,then
    xp formats and installs automatically.

    Tarkus wrote:
    > My sons computer (Win98) was having alot of problems like GPF's and
    > Blue Screens so I talked him into getting XP. I did a re-format so I
    > could do a clean install. But everytime I try I get a blue sreen with
    > a long error message saying Driver_Irql_not_less_or_equal. There is
    > something about new hardware installed. Try unstalling. I've done some
    > research as suggestions were bad drivers, IRQ conflicts, etc. But on a
    > clean install, I can't update any drivers so I don't understand. I've
    > set the BIOS to default settings, booted with the XP CD, coppied the
    > files to the hd, nothing works. What can I do? The computer is an
    > Athalon 2ghrz, 256mb ram, CSI Via motherboard. Onboard GeForce 2.
    > Please don't say call MS Tech Support. You guys are smarter and easer
    > to deal with. Thanks.

    Frankly, it sounds like you're trying to fix a hardware problem by
    changing the OS.

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    --

    Bruce Chambers