KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR -- can vid card cause?

OK, here's an odd one.

Recently, whenever I play fullscreen 3d games (World of Warcraft and Serious Sam are my test cases), I'll crash with a nasty BSOD:

STOP: 0x0000007A KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

...this happens with a subcode of 0xC000000E, which seems to be "device not available".

Now, according to many posts on the net, this is probably due to a slowly-failing hard drive--and indeed when this occurs, it usually involves a "click" which seems to be coming from the case (can't verify this).

However...

...I ran a diagnostic on the hard drive, with no real problems.
...the computer is fully usable and can stay on for hours if I don't play games.
...I tried moving the swapfile to a different partition, with no change.
...if the game DOES start, it'll be fine for the duration. But a successful start seems to be about 1 out of 10.

...yet once a game starts doing fullscreen 3d (again, only WoW and SS2E are my test cases), it's an INSTANT crash (the login screen for WoW barely has time to show before it crashes). For a bit I was trying to imagine it being a power surge problem, but not sure (incidentally, BIOS reports my 5v line as being just over 4.5V; is that bad or only sorta-bad?).

Now obviously this is bad. But I'd also like to zero in on the solution before trying a new hard drive, new vid card etc.

Could this be the vid card? If so, how could I test? If it is the culprit, is there anything to do but replace it?

MB: Asus A7N8X deluxe
CPU: Barton 2500 (not overclocked ATM)
Mem: 512M of Corsair XMS (something up to 400MHz)
HD: Maxtor DiamondMax 9 60G SATA
Vid: Ati 9800 Pro (Sapphire)
PS: Antec TruePower 450

I'm baffled. Any help would be, well, helpful.

-->Stitch
5 answers Last reply
More about kernel_data_inpage_error card cause
  1. Do other games and intensive things work ok? (e.g. 3dMark, Prime95, sandra burn-in...)

I would run memtest86 to check your RAM out too.

If your Gfx card was faulty I don't think you'd have an intermittent problem like this (whereby sometimes the games work fine). That sort of thing is usually memory or power supply.

Your 5V line does sound low, if that's accurate. Generally accepted wisdom is that they should all stay within 5% of their rating, and yours is nearly 10% off by the sounds of it.

---
    A64 3200+ Winchester @ 250x10= ~2.5Ghz, ~1.41 Vcore
    1Gb @ 209Mhz, 2T, 3-5-5-10
    Voltmodded Sapphire 9800Pro @ 450/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.
  2. > Do other games and intensive things work ok? (e.g. 3dMark,
    > Prime95, sandra burn-in...)

I'll give those a go when I can (of course this happens at exactly the wrong time, right before I move)

> I would run memtest86 to check your RAM out too.

Left that going last night for about 6 hours, no errors, so that's some comfort at least.

> Your 5V line does sound low, if that's accurate. Generally
    > accepted wisdom is that they should all stay within 5% of
    > their rating, and yours is nearly 10% off by the sounds of
    > it.

Hmm. Well, that's what I remember from the bios readings. Using Motherboard Monitor 5, dashboard, I get these:

Case temp: 28
    CPU diode: 52 (higher than I'd like, not sure if this is accurate on A7N8X or not)
    CPU Socket: 38
    Core 0: 1.71v
    Core 1: 1.71v
    +3.3: 3.28
    +5: 4.52
    +12: 11.55
    -12: 12.07
    -5: -5.06

...so maybe the 5v line IS low. I'll raise the question elsewhere too, and try something intensive to smoke the CPU.

-->Stitch

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stitch on 03/09/05 09:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  3. Just do a Sandra Burn-In wizard. It is very good and while it stresses your system enough to detect problems, if any, it is unlikely to kill your system. Before running any burn-in software though, make sure that you set system shut down temps in the BIOS if your BIOS has this feature -- you want your PC to shut down if something reaches critical temps, not go up in smoke.

Good luck :smile:

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:
  4. Since its 3D application related Id say you are looking at a bad video card or faulty power supply (most likely the former). If I am not mistaken, im pretty sure AGP voltage is 3.3v and your card uses a +12V line from the Power supply directly. Make sure that 12V line is dedicated to the Vid card (no other devices on it).

If I were you, I would take a trip to best buy or even wal mart and buy the cheapest AGP card they sell (preferrably ATI so you dont end up messing with other drivers). Then take it home and test it in your system. If it works then you have discovered your R9800pro is the problem. If not, youve eliminated one variable. When youre done, just return the card (best buy has a 30 day return policy with the reciept. I used to work there a few years back, they wont ask questions. Wal mart is even more relaxed about it.)

Give that a shot, and if you still have the problems with the new card let us know.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
    P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
  5. The plug to the vid card is its own cable (no other devices on it).

I haven't had time to run some of the other benches, but I did try starting up the same games in windowed mode. When I did, they worked fine, but my 5V rail dropped as low as 4.38V, according to MBM.

Now to me, a 12.4% variation on something which I think is nominally supposed to be within 5% of rated voltage sounds bad. I'm going to poke at it some more and see what happens before trying a new card (rendering in the windowed mode of games was fine and fast, AND to make things better if I start the game in windowed mode and then change to fullscreen I still get low 5v rail readings but the game plays).

So I still like my idea that it's the combination hit of a resolution change and shoot to 3d mode that is causing the line to pull low, forcing a reboot. But I'm not positive yet...

-->Stitch
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards World Of Warcraft Graphics