Closed

Windows 2003 "repair" installation from CD?

June 10, 2005 2:31:01 AM

thogek@earthlink.net wrote:
> Okay, I hate feeling stupid. And OS/boot issues make me feel stupid.

Well, that hasn't changed. :-(

> The Windows 2003 Server still greeted attempts to boot with a blank
> black screen, so I used the Windows 2003 Server CD to run a "repair"
> install on that partition. This repair worked, and afterwords I was
> able to boot into the Windows 2003 Server partition without problem,
> with all data files and installed programs intact.

I'm having another issue with my Windows 2003 now, in a completely
different case. After I installed some new RAM (a seemingly simple
operation), my Windows 2003 Server partition again became inexplicably
unbootable, while my Windows XP partition seems fine, and boot.ini
behavior seems normal. A checkdisk on my Windows 2003 partition from
the XP OS scrolled a long series of messages about fixing corrupted
files, but the Windows 2003 OS still won't boot.

Seems like a good candidate case to run the Windows 2003 "repair"
install again, just as I did last time around.

However, this time I'm not seeing the option on the installation CD's
menus. I see options to drop the partition, or to do a fresh new
install, or to start the Recovery Console (which gives me a
command-line interface that I don't know what to do with), but nothing
about a simple "repair" installation option (which I *know* I used last
time).

Last time, what I found and ran was called something like a "repair"
install, executed a lot like a regular install, but simply repaired my
current Windows 2003 install (by restoring lost/corrupted files, etc.)
rather than overwriting a new one. (This restored my OS without my
having to reinstall all my software, reconfigure accounts, etc.) Now I
simply can't find that option. Maybe I'm somehow overstressing and
missing it...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and might be able to point my
clueless self in the right direction?

Thanks.

- Tom Kiefer
thogek @ earthlink . net
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:30:18 PM

Suggestion: I would be posting this in one of the many Server Groups, as
this is a XP group. Although they may look similar, there are differences
and many of the components found in Win2k3 Server are not present in WinXP,
a desktop OS.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Thogek" <thogek@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> thogek@earthlink.net wrote:
>> Okay, I hate feeling stupid. And OS/boot issues make me feel stupid.
>
> Well, that hasn't changed. :-(
>
>> The Windows 2003 Server still greeted attempts to boot with a blank
>> black screen, so I used the Windows 2003 Server CD to run a "repair"
>> install on that partition. This repair worked, and afterwords I was
>> able to boot into the Windows 2003 Server partition without problem,
>> with all data files and installed programs intact.
>
> I'm having another issue with my Windows 2003 now, in a completely
> different case. After I installed some new RAM (a seemingly simple
> operation), my Windows 2003 Server partition again became inexplicably
> unbootable, while my Windows XP partition seems fine, and boot.ini
> behavior seems normal. A checkdisk on my Windows 2003 partition from
> the XP OS scrolled a long series of messages about fixing corrupted
> files, but the Windows 2003 OS still won't boot.
>
> Seems like a good candidate case to run the Windows 2003 "repair"
> install again, just as I did last time around.
>
> However, this time I'm not seeing the option on the installation CD's
> menus. I see options to drop the partition, or to do a fresh new
> install, or to start the Recovery Console (which gives me a
> command-line interface that I don't know what to do with), but nothing
> about a simple "repair" installation option (which I *know* I used last
> time).
>
> Last time, what I found and ran was called something like a "repair"
> install, executed a lot like a regular install, but simply repaired my
> current Windows 2003 install (by restoring lost/corrupted files, etc.)
> rather than overwriting a new one. (This restored my OS without my
> having to reinstall all my software, reconfigure accounts, etc.) Now I
> simply can't find that option. Maybe I'm somehow overstressing and
> missing it...
>
> Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and might be able to point my
> clueless self in the right direction?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Tom Kiefer
> thogek @ earthlink . net

Anonymous
March 29, 2009 5:39:55 PM

Quote:

Suggestion: I would be posting this in one of the many Server Groups, as
this is a XP group. Although they may look similar, there are differences
and many of the components found in Win2k3 Server are not present in WinXP,
a desktop OS.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Thogek" <thogek@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> thogek@earthlink.net wrote:
>> Okay, I hate feeling stupid. And OS/boot issues make me feel stupid.
>
> Well, that hasn't changed. :-(
>
>> The Windows 2003 Server still greeted attempts to boot with a blank
>> black screen, so I used the Windows 2003 Server CD to run a "repair"
>> install on that partition. This repair worked, and afterwords I was
>> able to boot into the Windows 2003 Server partition without problem,
>> with all data files and installed programs intact.
>
> I'm having another issue with my Windows 2003 now, in a completely
> different case. After I installed some new RAM (a seemingly simple
> operation), my Windows 2003 Server partition again became inexplicably
> unbootable, while my Windows XP partition seems fine, and boot.ini
> behavior seems normal. A checkdisk on my Windows 2003 partition from
> the XP OS scrolled a long series of messages about fixing corrupted
> files, but the Windows 2003 OS still won't boot.
>
> Seems like a good candidate case to run the Windows 2003 "repair"
> install again, just as I did last time around.
>
> However, this time I'm not seeing the option on the installation CD's
> menus. I see options to drop the partition, or to do a fresh new
> install, or to start the Recovery Console (which gives me a
> command-line interface that I don't know what to do with), but nothing
> about a simple "repair" installation option (which I *know* I used last
> time).
>
> Last time, what I found and ran was called something like a "repair"
> install, executed a lot like a regular install, but simply repaired my
> current Windows 2003 install (by restoring lost/corrupted files, etc.)
> rather than overwriting a new one. (This restored my OS without my
> having to reinstall all my software, reconfigure accounts, etc.) Now I
> simply can't find that option. Maybe I'm somehow overstressing and
> missing it...
>
> Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and might be able to point my
> clueless self in the right direction?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Tom Kiefer
> thogek @ earthlink . net

From the date on this query my response is way too late but for others who might be following this thread at later dates here's what I did. I just booted the system with the windows 2003 server installation CD in the CD drive and hit the CR when asked if I wanted to boot from that CD. I was offered the option of typing "R" to restore the os or escape to quit of just CR to install Windows. I hit CR to install windows. But don't fear, if Windows is already installed the CD "knows" enough to attempt to repair the OS instead of doing a fresh install so you won't loose your apps or data. Unfortunately in my case the WIndows 2003 server CD did pop up a dialog box requesting another disk be mounted so that it could get a needed driver from Sound Blaster. Problem is that the super jerks at Micro soft have it so that the installation (I sould say repair) software doesn't respond to the mouse or keyboard at this point. Brilliant huh? Anyway if you don't run into this "need extra disk" condition the repair process I'm alluding to here might work for you.

Mike
Related resources
March 11, 2011 11:22:46 PM

Quote:
From the date on this query my response is way too late but for others who might be following this thread at later dates here's what I did. I just booted the system with the windows 2003 server installation CD in the CD drive and hit the CR when asked if I wanted to boot from that CD. I was offered the option of typing "R" to restore the os or escape to quit of just CR to install Windows. I hit CR to install windows. But don't fear, if Windows is already installed the CD "knows" enough to attempt to repair the OS instead of doing a fresh install so you won't loose your apps or data. Unfortunately in my case the WIndows 2003 server CD did pop up a dialog box requesting another disk be mounted so that it could get a needed driver from Sound Blaster. Problem is that the super jerks at Micro soft have it so that the installation (I sould say repair) software doesn't respond to the mouse or keyboard at this point. Brilliant huh? Anyway if you don't run into this "need extra disk" condition the repair process I'm alluding to here might work for you.

Mike

hey dude i had some questions about the way you did this!! if you could please email me at rj.fourty.five@gmail.com i would really appreciate it because i am going through the same thing and i can't afford to lose my settings.
March 11, 2011 11:34:33 PM

Hi ddrwizard,

This thread is old, and that member is no longer here. If you need some help, please start a new thread. You'll get more help that way. Thanks!
!