Sign in with
Your question

old pci..new system should I bother

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2005 2:13:47 PM

Here is my situation: I just bought a new Dell dimension 3000 (2.8 768 400mhtz pc3200, 80gig, 48x cdwr) I got a great deal through dell small business(so I thought) ($389 after rebate). I was shocked to discover that THERE IS NO AGP SLOT AND ONLY 3 OLD PCI SLOTS. I had ordered a chaintech fx5500 256 agp card and that of course will not fit so I ordered a chaintech fx5200 pci 256 meg card.

My question is: am I wasting my time and money by putting in the new fx5200 card in an old pci slot in terms of playing highend games now and in the future? I was not aware of the differences between agp pci and pci express. I had always just dealt with agp. I have the card but there is a restocking fee to send it back and it will cost about another $100 to get another dell with a pci express and then I would need a new g card anyway.

More about : pci system bother

March 9, 2005 2:19:45 PM

The differences:

PCI = horrible
AGP = Good
PCI-express = good

Frankly, the GeforceFX 5200 you got is probably a good thing to have anyway, because your integrated video is likely to be way, way worse.

So keep it, or do some research and find the best PCI video card out there. If memory serves there are GeforceFX 5600 PCI cards out there. I know I saw a PCI card comparison a while back with other options, but the jist of the matter is at a certain point it doesn't matter which PCI card you get, because performance is limited by the bus.

Like I said though, your integrated video is probably way worse.

A good PCI video card will at least let you game in 800x600... but it's never going to be a solid card for "today and in the future". Titles like Doom3 and Half Life 2 will struggle on the card, 800x600 may be playable but you might even have to lower it to 640x480 for decent framerates.

[EDIT] I found the review: indeed, the FX 5600 is the best option, PCI Radeon 9100's are also good. But your 5200 isn't bad either, so you might as well keep it. Check out the benchmarks:
<A HREF="http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=445&pid=1591" target="_new">http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=445&pid=1591&lt;/A>[/EDIT]

March 9, 2005 3:00:31 PM

Hey , thanks for the quick response and info. The link was great. I will keep the card(newegg charges a restocking fee anyway). I learned a valuable lesson with this computer purchase. I have always considered myself pretty knowledgable when it comes to buying computers but this situation caught me offguard. The dell system is still a nice system for the price but it should come with a Gamers warning.
Related resources
March 9, 2005 3:56:37 PM

You would be much better off if you invested $60-$100 on a motherboard with AGP to put into that case and then grabbing a good AGP card.

Those mobos they give you are crap to begin with, let alone the lack of AGP.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
March 9, 2005 4:58:55 PM

That was a suggestion given to me from a couple friends but I have never replaced a motherboard. It seems like there would be alot of hassles in replacing a motherboard in a prebuild dell system. How does the system restore work? What about the internal parts and compatability issues? Well...I guess I will search this site for a possible guide to doing this. If anyone has a good link for replacing a motherboard that would be great too.
Thanks
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2005 5:41:05 PM

It would be nice to grab a new mobo, but remember that you will lose your Dell warranty and tech support. Also, you will have to get a hold of a new oem Windows XP CD to reinstall windows, if all you have is a Dell restore disc.

For even the most casual of gamers, those value Dell systems have little value unfortuneatly. Not a bad internet/email/MS office rig though considering how cheap you got it.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>
March 9, 2005 5:41:23 PM

A new mobo is a good idea, but if it's a dell you might want to buy a new case & power supply as well. Stick the new mobo in the new case, an migrate the Dell's RAM, CPU, and disk drives to the new case.

As far as compatibility issues, you might have to re-install windows if your old install doesn't like the new hardware, Otherwise, if you have a new case, you should be fine & dandy.

Building a computer is really quite simple. I don't have any links for you, but you should get those friends of yours who suggested you get a mobo to come over and help you out. :) 

a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2005 7:15:11 PM

Yeah you might not just want it you might NEED a new power supply.

Hey we're dell 20 pin, 24 pin, Bah our mobo power connector is 23 pins and arranged in a star! SuperStar!

I'd say a good new mobo with integrated graphics adn the AGP would be best for the future, but really cheap dell boxes are you get what you pid for unfortunately. To me it'd be worth voiding the warranty, but if you buy from dell in the first place it's probably because you're also not that confident with the build your own yet.

That being said I am recommending a friend get an IBM or DELL for $349 canadian because it's going to be a basic Word/PRocessing/Music Editing DVD-Riping box, and really a celeron with PCI or integrated graphics will do that fine with an add in 2-8X DVD burner for $49. Anyone even thinking about games should avoid anything like that.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 5:26:58 AM

You can't change out the boards in most Dells, only a very few Dells offer Micro ATX cases, the vast majority use proprietary Dell form factors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 5:27:08 AM

You can't change out the boards in most Dells, only a very few Dells offer Micro ATX cases, the vast majority use proprietary Dell form factors!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!