hard drive on GX100

Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and that
worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with the
jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so I
assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.

"Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
> bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
> replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
> setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and that
> worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with the
> jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so I
> assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.

Cable select is fine. Could be the Maxtor is "unknown" due to a loose power
or data plug connection (inadvertent) or that the drive itself is puked. Or
even a possible BIOS setting....

Stew

Tried three other Maxtors. Same thing. All was well with the WD

> "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
> > bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
> > replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
> > setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and
that
> > worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with
the
> > jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so
> > assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.
> >

> Cable select is fine. Could be the Maxtor is "unknown" due to a loose
power
> or data plug connection (inadvertent) or that the drive itself is puked.
Or
> even a possible BIOS setting....
>

> Stew

1) Other drives (WD) work, so plug is not problem.

2) Two other Maxtors are having same problem, so it probably isn't the
drive.

3) How can fix the BIOS if I can't even boot up to the hard drive?

> "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
> > bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
> > replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
> > setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and
that
> > worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with
the
> > jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so
> > assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.
> >

> Cable select is fine. Could be the Maxtor is "unknown" due to a loose
power
> or data plug connection (inadvertent) or that the drive itself is puked.
Or
> even a possible BIOS setting....
>

> Stew

" I assumed the same thing for the Maxtor." Don't assume. Check the jumper
settings. Betcha the jumper was set on master. Info about the jumper settings
is available at the Maxtor web site, like all the major drive manufacturers...
Ben Myers

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:10:38 -0500, "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:

>Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
>bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
>replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
>setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and that
>worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with the
>jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so I
>assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.

I will check
> " I assumed the same thing for the Maxtor." Don't assume. Check the
jumper
> settings. Betcha the jumper was set on master. Info about the jumper
settings
> is available at the Maxtor web site, like all the major drive
manufacturers...
> Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:10:38 -0500, "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net>
wrote:

> >Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
> >bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
> >replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
> >setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and that
> >worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with the
> >jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so
> >assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.

Went to their site, found the drive matched the drive to the picture and
still no go.

> " I assumed the same thing for the Maxtor." Don't assume. Check the
jumper
> settings. Betcha the jumper was set on master. Info about the jumper
settings
> is available at the Maxtor web site, like all the major drive
manufacturers...
> Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:10:38 -0500, "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net>
wrote:

> >Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
> >bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
> >replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
> >setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and that
> >worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with the
> >jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so
> >assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.

Did you find the jumper settings for the Maxtor drive, and did you confirm that
the setting was cable select??? ... Ben Myers

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:55:35 -0500, "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:

>Went to their site, found the drive matched the drive to the picture and
>still no go.

>> " I assumed the same thing for the Maxtor." Don't assume. Check the
>jumper
>> settings. Betcha the jumper was set on master. Info about the jumper
>settings
>> is available at the Maxtor web site, like all the major drive
>manufacturers...
>> Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:10:38 -0500, "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>>

>> >Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
>> >bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
>> >replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
>> >setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and that
>> >worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with the
>> >jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so
>> >assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.

yup
> Did you find the jumper settings for the Maxtor drive, and did you confirm
> that
> the setting was cable select??? ... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:55:35 -0500, "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Went to their site, found the drive matched the drive to the picture and
>>still no go.
>>

>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> " I assumed the same thing for the Maxtor." Don't assume. Check the
>>jumper
>>> settings. Betcha the jumper was set on master. Info about the jumper
>>settings
>>> is available at the Maxtor web site, like all the major drive
>>manufacturers...
>>> Ben Myers
>>>
>>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:10:38 -0500, "Nate Rosenthal"
>>> <ncrose@comcast.net>

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

OK, what you can try is to reset the NV RAM, drop into the BIOS (F12 at the
Dell Splash screen) and on the keyboard make sure the CAP lock, Scroll Lock
and Num lock are all on. then in this order press ALT & E, Alt & F and
finally Alt & B (dont worry about the bleeps ) the machine will then reboot
its sell and auto configure and it should pick the new drive up if it
doesn't then the drives you are trying are bust
"Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
> bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
> replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
> setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and that
> worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with the
> jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so I
> assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.

all of them ???
"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> OK, what you can try is to reset the NV RAM, drop into the BIOS (F12 at
the
> Dell Splash screen) and on the keyboard make sure the CAP lock, Scroll
Lock
> and Num lock are all on. then in this order press ALT & E, Alt & F and
> finally Alt & B (dont worry about the bleeps ) the machine will then
reboot
> its sell and auto configure and it should pick the new drive up if it
> doesn't then the drives you are trying are bust
> "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
> > bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
> > replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
> > setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and
that
> > worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with
the
> > jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so
> > assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.

What was even more interesting is that I took a Quantum out of an old Compaq
DeskPro, which apprently is made by the same company as Maxtor and it
worked. It wanted to load every little thing on the computer all over
again, but it worked.

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> OK, what you can try is to reset the NV RAM, drop into the BIOS (F12 at
the
> Dell Splash screen) and on the keyboard make sure the CAP lock, Scroll
Lock
> and Num lock are all on. then in this order press ALT & E, Alt & F and
> finally Alt & B (dont worry about the bleeps ) the machine will then
reboot
> its sell and auto configure and it should pick the new drive up if it
> doesn't then the drives you are trying are bust
> "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
> > bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
> > replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
> > setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and
that
> > worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with
the
> > jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so
> > assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.

Well, Maxtor bought out Quantum's disk drive operations several years ago.
Previously, they were separate companies, certainly back in the time frame when
GX100s and some Compaq DeskPros were built.

The problem is not the manufacturer of the drives. It's why some drives do not
work in the GX100. Since maybe even 9 or 10 years ago, 3.5" IDE drives have
been commodity items. They all have the same shape, screw mountings, power
connector, data cable connector and jumper settings. The jumper settings and
the locations of the jumpers vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but
according to the IDE standard every drive must be jumperable as master, slave
and cable select, all three. Any additional jumper settings are at the
manufacturer's option.

You need to figure out why the Maxtors do not work in the GX100. The
possibilities are faulty drives and incorrect jumper settings. You also need to
determine whether the data cable is one made for the cable select settings or
one which requires master/slave settings. If you hold the cable up to the light
and see a small hole where a wire lead has been cut, you have a cable select
cable. Otherwise it is a master/slave type cable.

It would also be handy to be able to check the Maxtor drives out on another
computer... Ben Myers

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:29:51 -0500, "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:

>What was even more interesting is that I took a Quantum out of an old Compaq
>DeskPro, which apprently is made by the same company as Maxtor and it
>worked. It wanted to load every little thing on the computer all over
>again, but it worked.
>

>"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> OK, what you can try is to reset the NV RAM, drop into the BIOS (F12 at
>the
>> Dell Splash screen) and on the keyboard make sure the CAP lock, Scroll
>Lock
>> and Num lock are all on. then in this order press ALT & E, Alt & F and
>> finally Alt & B (dont worry about the bleeps ) the machine will then
>reboot
>> its sell and auto configure and it should pick the new drive up if it
>> doesn't then the drives you are trying are bust
>> "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Had a WD 102AA Caviar on the GX100 and it was making clicking noises at
>> > bootup. When I got error message that hard drive is notworking, please
>> > replace, I tried a Maxtor 51023H2. It wasn't even being recognized. In
>> > setup, it said unknown device. I had another 102AA that I tried and
>that
>> > worked, so I know it's not the computer itself. I tried playing with
>the
>> > jumpers on the hard but still no go. The WD was set on Cable Select, so
>> > assumed the same thing for the Maxtor. Any thoughts.

Thanks for the update. Nothing is ever simple
> Well, Maxtor bought out Quantum's disk drive operations several years ago.
> Previously, they were separate companies, certainly back in the time frame
when
> GX100s and some Compaq DeskPros were built.
>
> The problem is not the manufacturer of the drives. It's why some drives
do not
> work in the GX100. Since maybe even 9 or 10 years ago, 3.5" IDE drives
have
> been commodity items. They all have the same shape, screw mountings,
power
> connector, data cable connector and jumper settings. The jumper settings
and
> the locations of the jumpers vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but
> according to the IDE standard every drive must be jumperable as master,
slave
> and cable select, all three. Any additional jumper settings are at the
> manufacturer's option.
>
> You need to figure out why the Maxtors do not work in the GX100. The
> possibilities are faulty drives and incorrect jumper settings. You also
need to
> determine whether the data cable is one made for the cable select settings
or
> one which requires master/slave settings. If you hold the cable up to the
light
> and see a small hole where a wire lead has been cut, you have a cable
select
> cable. Otherwise it is a master/slave type cable.
>
> It would also be handy to be able to check the Maxtor drives out on
another
> computer... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:29:51 -0500, "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net>
wrote:

> >What was even more interesting is that I took a Quantum out of an old
Compaq
> >DeskPro, which apprently is made by the same company as Maxtor and it
> >worked. It wanted to load every little thing on the computer all over
> >again, but it worked.
> >

> >"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> OK, what you can try is to reset the NV RAM, drop into the BIOS (F12 at
> >the
> >> Dell Splash screen) and on the keyboard make sure the CAP lock, Scroll
> >Lock
> >> and Num lock are all on. then in this order press ALT & E, Alt & F and
> >> finally Alt & B (dont worry about the bleeps ) the machine will then
> >reboot
> >> its sell and auto configure and it should pick the new drive up if it
> >> doesn't then the drives you are trying are bust
> >> "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message

In
> >that
> >the

Well I got it to recognize one of the Maxtors in setup, but I still can't
get in. I get press F1 to reboot or F2 to go to setup. Hitting F12 at the
Dell Splash screen did nothing. I went back and put in a WD to see if it
would work and it did.

I may try a different cable.