Sign in with
Your question

Need a Graphics Card Recommendation

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2005 2:38:09 PM

Hi guys...I need a graphics card recommendation, so I've come to the "pros" for advice. I am building a new system, and I am now looking for a graphics card. Here's the system so far...
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ s939
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
Mushkin 1GB PC3200

This is not a gaming computer, but one that I mostly use for heavy video and audio editing along with office work. The card I need would be mostly used for video capture straight off of my DIRECTV or DVD player, or just ripping from CD's or DVD's. I'd also like one with a TIVO like ability. Since the mobo doesn't have AGP, I'll need a PCI card. This is one subject that I have little or no knowledge about, so I'd appreciate any advice you guys have. Thanks in advance!!
March 10, 2005 3:12:49 PM

If you're sure games aren't going to be played, then get the cheapest card uyou can with decent display quality, and a separate TV capture card, like Ati's TV wonder.

Although it's probably more expensive, you should see if you can find an All-In-Wonder radeon card... they come with a nice bundle and all the TIVO connections you'll need. I believe they make a PCI version of the all-in-wonder LE.

but it might be cheaper to go with separate cards, you'll have to research...

March 10, 2005 3:40:09 PM

Someone has suggested an ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON X600 PRO, and I have looked at prices for it. I was just looking to see if there was any other options, or if anyone may have used this particular card? Any comments or suggestions?
Related resources
March 10, 2005 3:55:03 PM

One second...

OK, you don't mean PCI... you mean PCI-Express, which is a different thing altogether.

Yep, the X600 Pro All-in-wonder will do the job, but frankly - it's overkill if you're never going to play games. Although, the all-in-wonder cards do come with some nice software and a nifty wireless remote.

A much cheaper solution would be an X300SE in addition to a TV capture card, tho. And just as good if games aren't important to you.

March 10, 2005 4:22:58 PM

The ATI card doesn't come with a remote, so I'll have to figure the price of one into the final price. However, I have found that card for 180.00. I think that may be my best choice. (And yes, it is PCI-Express not just PCI..told ya I was a novice as far as video cards go).
March 10, 2005 5:17:06 PM

ummmm i may be way off base here but i recall reading somewhere that intel p4 chips were better for the editing you are planning on. just a thought. if i am wrong someone will correct me. if not maybe it's worth a little research to see if it's worth the change for yah.
March 10, 2005 5:23:11 PM

Depends which programs you're using. In general, P4's are faster at encoding, and A64's are good at editing.

regardless, the A64 platform is probably cheaper than a high-ensd P4 rig, and performance is very close. I'd stick with the A64 unless you can afford a 3.6+ Ghz P4.

March 10, 2005 5:28:12 PM

good ol'cleeve, always comming through in the clutch.
March 10, 2005 6:09:52 PM

One of the main reasons I chose the Athlon over the P4 was that it would be on a LONG time continuously, and heat was an issue to me. A friend has a P4 3.2 and he has terrible cooling issues. The price difference was an added advantage.
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2005 7:43:14 PM

While I'd usually suggest a seperate card for encoding, you could also get by on an X300 or GF6200 with ViVo since your CPU is powerful enough to take on some of those duties.

But strangely enough on NewEgg I'm having trouble fining anything less than an X600 with ViVo, so you may still wind up cheaper with an X300/GF6200 + seperate capture card (like a Hauppauge), which would be a solid combo.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2005 5:19:43 AM

You can't capture video from most DVD's to most tuner cards due to Macrovision encryption.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
March 11, 2005 12:38:29 PM

He could rip the DVD first, then play it back tho.

a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2005 3:35:05 PM

Yes, but he wouldn't need an input card for that!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!