Access denied on account on old hard drive

June 10, 2005 11:41:02 AM

I just had a new primary HD with windows XP. I installed the old one as a
slave drive. I can still access all of the files on the old HD except the
ones under my old primary account. When I try to open that folder I get
"Access is denied" and no oppertunity to put in the password.

Help please.
June 10, 2005 1:48:21 PM

"Glenn" <Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just had a new primary HD with windows XP. I installed the old one
>as a
> slave drive. I can still access all of the files on the old HD except
> the
> ones under my old primary account. When I try to open that folder I
> get
> "Access is denied" and no oppertunity to put in the password.
>
> Help please.

Log on under an admin account, like Administrator. Then take ownership
of the file so you can change permissions (to allow your new identity to
have access or allow Everyone to have access).
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:50:18 PM

Hopefully the new & old accounts are the exact same.

See HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/308421
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Glenn" wrote
>I just had a new primary HD with windows XP. I installed the old one as a
> slave drive. I can still access all of the files on the old HD except the
> ones under my old primary account. When I try to open that folder I get
> "Access is denied" and no oppertunity to put in the password.
>
> Help please.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:52:33 PM

Hi Glenn,

Follow the instructions in this MSKB article in order to take ownership of
the files/folders to which you are currently denied access:

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User