Access denied on account on old hard drive

I just had a new primary HD with windows XP. I installed the old one as a
slave drive. I can still access all of the files on the old HD except the
ones under my old primary account. When I try to open that folder I get
"Access is denied" and no oppertunity to put in the password.

Help please.
3 answers Last reply
More about access denied account hard drive

    "Glenn" <Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just had a new primary HD with windows XP. I installed the old one
    >as a
    > slave drive. I can still access all of the files on the old HD except
    > the
    > ones under my old primary account. When I try to open that folder I
    > get
    > "Access is denied" and no oppertunity to put in the password.
    >
    > Help please.

    Log on under an admin account, like Administrator. Then take ownership
    of the file so you can change permissions (to allow your new identity to
    have access or allow Everyone to have access).

    Hopefully the new & old accounts are the exact same.

    See HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/308421
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "Glenn" wrote
    >I just had a new primary HD with windows XP. I installed the old one as a
    > slave drive. I can still access all of the files on the old HD except the
    > ones under my old primary account. When I try to open that folder I get
    > "Access is denied" and no oppertunity to put in the password.
    >
    > Help please.

    Hi Glenn,

    Follow the instructions in this MSKB article in order to take ownership of
    the files/folders to which you are currently denied access:

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Glenn" <Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I just had a new primary HD with windows XP. I installed the old one as a
    > slave drive. I can still access all of the files on the old HD except the
    > ones under my old primary account. When I try to open that folder I get
    > "Access is denied" and no oppertunity to put in the password.
    >
    > Help please.

Hard Drives HD Windows XP