Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
Windows but I have a question before hand

If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
image into another hard disk, a new, different size/brand hard disk. Is
that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?

Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
not sure if itll help me.

I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

Dan wrote:
> Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
> Windows but I have a question before hand
>
> If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
> image into another hard disk, a new, different size/brand hard disk.
> Is that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?
>
> Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
> not sure if itll help me.
>
> I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.

Either product should work for you..

If the only thing that changed was the hard disk drive - doubtful you would
have a problem and what you would do would depend on the instructions with
the cloning software you choose to use. If more hardware than that changed,
without using sysprep or something similar - doubtful it will be a success
"out-of-the-box".

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Be very careful with Norton (Symantec) Ghost. I just paid $70 for it to
clone my drive before calling in a hardware problem, and I have NOT been
able to get the clone to boot. There are several 'fixes' for this issue on
the web (they blame Wi3ndows XP Pro for the problem), but none of them seem
to work. Either the cloned drive is not mountable, or, Windows starts to
boot and it then pops up with an error saying there was a problem with
accurately checking the license for this computer - Error Code: 0x80090006.

My installation is legal - it's a company laptop which came preloaded with
XP Pro and I have the licesense for it.

Pete Derkowski

"Dan" <gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message
Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
Windows but I have a question before hand

If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
image into another hard disk, a new, different size/brand hard disk. Is
that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?

Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
not sure if itll help me.

I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

tcpaulh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005

This is annoying to say the least

I'm getting the same 0x80090006 error after swapping drive letters with
partition magic. No hardware changes or anything. It's a real PITA.

Is there any way to get around this without re-installing from scratch
and losing my entire setup?

I must admit that the number of times I've been bitten by WPA makes me
consider just getting hold of a corporate disk and never actually using
the legitimate version. :S

Obvious

Distinguished
May 31, 2002

Posting from my news client now...

"A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for
this computer"

That was the full text that stopped me stone dead from using my Windows XP
Pro installation only one day after I activated it and installed all my
software.

Help ! :)

obvious wrote:
> Posting from my news client now...
>
> "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license
> for this computer"
>
> That was the full text that stopped me stone dead from using my
> Windows XP Pro installation only one day after I activated it and
> installed all my software.
>
> Help ! :)

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

Results:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8477deaaaafc102288256b1e00704619/f513cea4c457401788256d84006b31c2?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
(Short Link: http://snipurl.com/fu1h )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Obvious

Distinguished
May 31, 2002

That's what I thought but it just comes up with the same error.

I wonder if FDISK /mbr will do any harm/good ?

> obvious wrote:
>> Posting from my news client now...
>>
>> "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license
>> for this computer"
>>
>> That was the full text that stopped me stone dead from using my
>> Windows XP Pro installation only one day after I activated it and
>> installed all my software.
>>
>> Help ! :)
>
> Search using Google!
> http://www.google.com/
> (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )
>
> Results:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8477deaaaafc102288256b1e00704619/f513cea4c457401788256d84006b31c2?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
> (Short Link: http://snipurl.com/fu1h )
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Also high on my list of things to try first.

I turned up a suggestion to

"Run BootItNG then do the following:
- Enter the "Work with Partitions" Dialog.
- Choose the correct hard drive.
- Click the "View MBR" button
- Click the "Clear Sig" button
- Click the "Apply" button."

....but this and/or fdisk/mbr has left me with the dreaded flashing
underscore at bootup.

Time to try Winternals ERD I guess?

Any thoughts?