Disk Cloning

Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
Windows but I have a question before hand

If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
image into another hard disk, a new, different size/brand hard disk. Is
that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?

Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
not sure if itll help me.

I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.
Thanks in advance,
Dan
9 answers Last reply
More about disk cloning

    Dan wrote:
    > Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
    > Windows but I have a question before hand
    >
    > If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
    > image into another hard disk, a new, different size/brand hard disk.
    > Is that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?
    >
    > Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
    > not sure if itll help me.
    >
    > I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.

    Either product should work for you..

    If the only thing that changed was the hard disk drive - doubtful you would
    have a problem and what you would do would depend on the instructions with
    the cloning software you choose to use. If more hardware than that changed,
    without using sysprep or something similar - doubtful it will be a success
    "out-of-the-box".

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Be very careful with Norton (Symantec) Ghost. I just paid $70 for it to
    clone my drive before calling in a hardware problem, and I have NOT been
    able to get the clone to boot. There are several 'fixes' for this issue on
    the web (they blame Wi3ndows XP Pro for the problem), but none of them seem
    to work. Either the cloned drive is not mountable, or, Windows starts to
    boot and it then pops up with an error saying there was a problem with
    accurately checking the license for this computer - Error Code: 0x80090006.

    My installation is legal - it's a company laptop which came preloaded with
    XP Pro and I have the licesense for it.

    Pete Derkowski

    "Dan" <gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message
    Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
    Windows but I have a question before hand

    If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
    image into another hard disk, a new, different size/brand hard disk. Is
    that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?

    Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
    not sure if itll help me.

    I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan

    This is annoying to say the least

    I'm getting the same 0x80090006 error after swapping drive letters with
    partition magic. No hardware changes or anything. It's a real PITA.

    Is there any way to get around this without re-installing from scratch
    and losing my entire setup?

    I must admit that the number of times I've been bitten by WPA makes me
    consider just getting hold of a corporate disk and never actually using
    the legitimate version. :S

    Repair install

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Posting from my news client now...

    "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for
    this computer"

    That was the full text that stopped me stone dead from using my Windows XP
    Pro installation only one day after I activated it and installed all my
    software.

    Help ! :)

    obvious wrote:
    > Posting from my news client now...
    >
    > "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license
    > for this computer"
    >
    > That was the full text that stopped me stone dead from using my
    > Windows XP Pro installation only one day after I activated it and
    > installed all my software.
    >
    > Help ! :)

    Search using Google!
    http://www.google.com/
    (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

    Results:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8477deaaaafc102288256b1e00704619/f513cea4c457401788256d84006b31c2?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    (Short Link: http://snipurl.com/fu1h )

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    That's what I thought but it just comes up with the same error.

    I wonder if FDISK /mbr will do any harm/good ?

    > Repair install
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Might try FIXMBR
    or CHKDSK /R

    > obvious wrote:
    >> Posting from my news client now...
    >>
    >> "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license
    >> for this computer"
    >>
    >> That was the full text that stopped me stone dead from using my
    >> Windows XP Pro installation only one day after I activated it and
    >> installed all my software.
    >>
    >> Help ! :)
    >
    > Search using Google!
    > http://www.google.com/
    > (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )
    >
    > Results:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8477deaaaafc102288256b1e00704619/f513cea4c457401788256d84006b31c2?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    > (Short Link: http://snipurl.com/fu1h )
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Also high on my list of things to try first.

    I turned up a suggestion to

    "Run BootItNG then do the following:
    - Enter the "Work with Partitions" Dialog.
    - Choose the correct hard drive.
    - Click the "View MBR" button
    - Click the "Clear Sig" button
    - Click the "Apply" button."

    ....but this and/or fdisk/mbr has left me with the dreaded flashing
    underscore at bootup.

    Time to try Winternals ERD I guess?

    Any thoughts?

Support Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP