Getting 5 beeps after XP Pro boots

For a quite a while, my T30 laptop has been beeping 5 times right after
Windows fully boots. The fan was also dying, so I thought it was due to
that. I just received a new T30, and after plugging in my drive and
booting, I still get 5 beeps after Windows boots. The T30 is good, so it
must be the WIndows app.

I also do not get any music when XP comes up.. haven't for a long time ....
maybe the two things are connected. ???

Any thoughts on what's up? Other than the 5 beeps, everything works
perfect...

Pete Derkowski

Pete Derkowski wrote:
> For a quite a while, my T30 laptop has been beeping 5 times right
> after Windows fully boots. The fan was also dying, so I thought it
> was due to that. I just received a new T30, and after plugging in
> my drive and booting, I still get 5 beeps after Windows boots. The
> T30 is good, so it must be the WIndows app.
>
> I also do not get any music when XP comes up.. haven't for a long
> time .... maybe the two things are connected. ???
>
> Any thoughts on what's up? Other than the 5 beeps, everything works
> perfect...

"The T30 is good" - well, if you just got it replaced(meaning it is
obviously still under warranty), perhaps you should call them back and find
out what the 5 beeps mean?

Otherwise - what is starting up when Windows starts?

There are lots of services on your PC that are probably turned on by default
you don't use. Why have them on? Check out these web pages to see what all
of the services you might find on your computer are and set them according
to your personal needs. Be CAREFUL what you set to manual, and take heed
and write down as you change things! Also, don't expect a large performance
increase or anything - especially on today's 2+ GHz machines, however - I
look at each service you set to manual as one less service you have to worry
about someone exploiting. Document what you do as you do it,
next time, it goes MUCH faster! (or if you have to go back and re-enable
things..)

Task List Programs

Processes in Windows NT/2000/XP
http://www.reger24.de/prozesse/

There are also applications that AREN'T services that startup when you start
up the computer/logon. One of the better description on how to handle these
I have found here:

Startups
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Thanks - I did call IBM Support and after diags, they confirmed the T30 is
not the problem - it's something with XP Pro or my image. They tried a few
things, and stated they'd have to investigate more.

Thanks for the links - I'll look through them and be carefull as this is a
corporate image - they're may be company services running besides whatever
MS starts up.

Thanks again - I was hoping someone would instantly know... Oh, 5 beeps at
the end of an XP bootup means yada yada yada.

Pete

> Pete Derkowski wrote:
> > For a quite a while, my T30 laptop has been beeping 5 times right
> > after Windows fully boots. The fan was also dying, so I thought it
> > was due to that. I just received a new T30, and after plugging in
> > my drive and booting, I still get 5 beeps after Windows boots. The
> > T30 is good, so it must be the WIndows app.
> >
> > I also do not get any music when XP comes up.. haven't for a long
> > time .... maybe the two things are connected. ???
> >
> > Any thoughts on what's up? Other than the 5 beeps, everything works
> > perfect...
>
> "The T30 is good" - well, if you just got it replaced(meaning it is
> obviously still under warranty), perhaps you should call them back and
find
> out what the 5 beeps mean?
>
> Otherwise - what is starting up when Windows starts?
>
> There are lots of services on your PC that are probably turned on by
default
> you don't use. Why have them on? Check out these web pages to see what
all
> of the services you might find on your computer are and set them according
> to your personal needs. Be CAREFUL what you set to manual, and take heed
> and write down as you change things! Also, don't expect a large
performance
> increase or anything - especially on today's 2+ GHz machines, however - I
> look at each service you set to manual as one less service you have to
worry
> about someone exploiting. Document what you do as you do it,
> next time, it goes MUCH faster! (or if you have to go back and re-enable
> things..)
>
> Task List Programs
> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
>
> Processes in Windows NT/2000/XP
> http://www.reger24.de/prozesse/
>
> There are also applications that AREN'T services that startup when you
start
> up the computer/logon. One of the better description on how to handle
these
> I have found here:
>
> Startups
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Does your computer's user guide (or online equivalent) describe the
different beeps that can occur at startup? The BIOS can create a sort of
'Morse code' of beeps that have a particular meaning.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."