unable to boot until resetting cmos

when i try and boot i get as far as the irq allocation/pci screen then
instead of seeing the windows xp screen after, i just get a black screen and
nothing further happens. if i try safe mode or any other option i get the
same result.

if i then clear cmos and reset the time etc i am then able to get it started
if i choose the option to boot from the last known good configuration.

i am using xp pro and have not added any new hardware for some months.

thanks in advance for any help
5 answers Last reply
More about unable boot resetting cmos

    Hi,

    Sounds like the motherboard batter has died. Check the system
    documentation on how to replace it.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    ------------daz-------------- wrote:
    > when i try and boot i get as far as the irq
    > allocation/pci screen then instead of seeing the windows
    > xp screen after, i just get a black screen and nothing
    > further happens. if i try safe mode or any other option i
    > get the same result.
    >
    > if i then clear cmos and reset the time etc i am then
    > able to get it started if i choose the option to boot
    > from the last known good configuration.
    >
    > i am using xp pro and have not added any new hardware for
    > some months.
    >
    > thanks in advance for any help

    i will put a new one in, thanks for your help.

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Sounds like the motherboard batter has died. Check the system
    > documentation on how to replace it.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > ------------daz-------------- wrote:
    > > when i try and boot i get as far as the irq
    > > allocation/pci screen then instead of seeing the windows
    > > xp screen after, i just get a black screen and nothing
    > > further happens. if i try safe mode or any other option i
    > > get the same result.
    > >
    > > if i then clear cmos and reset the time etc i am then
    > > able to get it started if i choose the option to boot
    > > from the last known good configuration.
    > >
    > > i am using xp pro and have not added any new hardware for
    > > some months.
    > >
    > > thanks in advance for any help

    one thing tho, shouldnt i have had some sort of warning message?

    "----------

    > i will put a new one in, thanks for your help.
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Sounds like the motherboard batter has died. Check the system
    > > documentation on how to replace it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > > http://dts-l.org/
    > >
    > > ------------daz-------------- wrote:
    > > > when i try and boot i get as far as the irq
    > > > allocation/pci screen then instead of seeing the windows
    > > > xp screen after, i just get a black screen and nothing
    > > > further happens. if i try safe mode or any other option i
    > > > get the same result.
    > > >
    > > > if i then clear cmos and reset the time etc i am then
    > > > able to get it started if i choose the option to boot
    > > > from the last known good configuration.
    > > >
    > > > i am using xp pro and have not added any new hardware for
    > > > some months.
    > > >
    > > > thanks in advance for any help

    Loosing CMOS setting is the warning. Or should I say symptom.

    --

    "------------daz--------------" <daz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:498DA12D-67CE-44E0-809E-4DA96D8738CB@microsoft.com...

    > one thing tho, shouldnt i have had some sort of warning message?
    Sorry to say, most hardware dies without warning. Disk drives may grind a
    bit, but the remainder just quit working.
    Jim

    > "----------
    >
    > > i will put a new one in, thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Sounds like the motherboard batter has died. Check the system
    > > > documentation on how to replace it.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User