unable to boot until resetting cmos

when i try and boot i get as far as the irq allocation/pci screen then
instead of seeing the windows xp screen after, i just get a black screen and
nothing further happens. if i try safe mode or any other option i get the
same result.

if i then clear cmos and reset the time etc i am then able to get it started
if i choose the option to boot from the last known good configuration.

i am using xp pro and have not added any new hardware for some months.

thanks in advance for any help

Hi,

Sounds like the motherboard batter has died. Check the system
documentation on how to replace it.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

------------daz-------------- wrote:
> when i try and boot i get as far as the irq
> allocation/pci screen then instead of seeing the windows
> xp screen after, i just get a black screen and nothing
> further happens. if i try safe mode or any other option i
> get the same result.
>
> if i then clear cmos and reset the time etc i am then
> able to get it started if i choose the option to boot
> from the last known good configuration.
>
> i am using xp pro and have not added any new hardware for
> some months.
>
> thanks in advance for any help

i will put a new one in, thanks for your help.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sounds like the motherboard batter has died. Check the system
> documentation on how to replace it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> ------------daz-------------- wrote:
> > when i try and boot i get as far as the irq
> > allocation/pci screen then instead of seeing the windows
> > xp screen after, i just get a black screen and nothing
> > further happens. if i try safe mode or any other option i
> > get the same result.
> >
> > if i then clear cmos and reset the time etc i am then
> > able to get it started if i choose the option to boot
> > from the last known good configuration.
> >
> > i am using xp pro and have not added any new hardware for
> > some months.
> >
> > thanks in advance for any help

one thing tho, shouldnt i have had some sort of warning message?

"----------

> i will put a new one in, thanks for your help.
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sounds like the motherboard batter has died. Check the system
> > documentation on how to replace it.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> > http://dts-l.org/
> >
> > ------------daz-------------- wrote:
> > > when i try and boot i get as far as the irq
> > > allocation/pci screen then instead of seeing the windows
> > > xp screen after, i just get a black screen and nothing
> > > further happens. if i try safe mode or any other option i
> > > get the same result.
> > >
> > > if i then clear cmos and reset the time etc i am then
> > > able to get it started if i choose the option to boot
> > > from the last known good configuration.
> > >
> > > i am using xp pro and have not added any new hardware for
> > > some months.
> > >
> > > thanks in advance for any help

Loosing CMOS setting is the warning. Or should I say symptom.

--

------------daz-------------- wrote:
> one thing tho, shouldnt i have had some sort of warning
> message?
>

> "----------
>
>> i will put a new one in, thanks for your help.
>>
>> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sounds like the motherboard batter has died. Check the
>>> system documentation on how to replace it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://dts-l.org/

Jim

"------------daz--------------" <daz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:498DA12D-67CE-44E0-809E-4DA96D8738CB@microsoft.com...

> one thing tho, shouldnt i have had some sort of warning message?
Sorry to say, most hardware dies without warning. Disk drives may grind a
bit, but the remainder just quit working.
Jim