Hello all !
As always I turn to the experts here for some sound advice. Here is the filled out questionnaire:
1. What is your budget?
$800 (max 1000)
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Not of any serious consequence but 17'' would be swell
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
Not of any serious consequence
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes but not the high end demanding games like Crysis etc. I dont mind playing games at Medium but I do want the ability to be able to play if I do get to it.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Would be trying out a lot of linux distros via virtualization - so would need good hdd. Other than that just regular usage, nothing too fancy
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Min 1 TB, preferably 7200 and not 5400
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
For a good 5-6 years. So I definitely want to be future proof, so 3rd gen i7 would be ideal right?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Definitely need blu ray ROM, blu ray writer optional
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No specific likes or dislikes here. Had a hp laptop for a decade and it breathed its last 5 years back
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Though I was looking for a gaming laptop I really dont think I would be doing too much of it. I want a sturdy build laptop that can last me for a long time (given that I would give it good care). So I definitely want to invest in something in a new CPU, also want to invest in a dedicated GPU so that gaming will not be a bottleneck if I ever get down to it but on the same hand, dont want to invest too much in bleeding edge latest and expensive GPUs. Want a full hd one as I would mostly be using it for a lot of video and audio stuff (a good set of speakers would be great, as much as can be expected from a laptop). In my hunt I did see that sager and msi have been recommended as brands but out here in India I dont think I can get any service. So those brands may not be possible but I plan to procure the laptop in the US (via my friend who is willing to get this me while coming down to India end of October), so you guys can suggest anything that is available - India will only be limiting in terms of service of some brands which I have mentioned above.
I hope I have given all the information, hope if suffices. Also the one that I have zeroed in on for now is the Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 Laptop - 209945U, please comment on that too
When I look into the available models, if I want an i7 and a dedicated GPU the prices upon customization go easily above 1000 which leave the Y580 as a much better option as I can land that for 939$. Is there a model you have in mind?
Also I dont want to seem to give an impression of wanting to limit myself to Lenovo, I am open to look at other options