Benefits of two wireless nics on a single laptop

Not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, please help point me in
the right direction.

In the dialup days, one could increase the speed of the internet
connection by installing two modems on a single computer and
connecting them under Win98 to get faster connections.

Can a similar setup be done under XP/XPPro. I have a cable modem with
a Netgear wireless router (54 Mbps). I also have two 802.11b (11Mbps)
wireless cards that I can install in my laptop (ofcourse WEP enabled).
If I do install both wireless cards into the single laptop, would I
see speeds greater than 11Mbps? If so, is there any configuration that
needs to be done other than installing the 2 cards into the single
laptop to achieve the higher speed?

Cheers
Subbarayudu
5 answers Last reply
More about benefits wireless nics single laptop

    You're talking about bonding, or multilink PPOE. It's not part of the 802.11
    standards, and it would have to be supported in the router or AP as well as
    at the client. I'm not aware of any 802.11 standard equipment that supports
    this. If you want to get higher rates, just move up to 802.11g.

    "Subbarayudu" <sdarisi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, please help point me in
    > the right direction.
    >
    > In the dialup days, one could increase the speed of the internet
    > connection by installing two modems on a single computer and
    > connecting them under Win98 to get faster connections.
    >
    > Can a similar setup be done under XP/XPPro. I have a cable modem with
    > a Netgear wireless router (54 Mbps). I also have two 802.11b (11Mbps)
    > wireless cards that I can install in my laptop (ofcourse WEP enabled).
    > If I do install both wireless cards into the single laptop, would I
    > see speeds greater than 11Mbps? If so, is there any configuration that
    > needs to be done other than installing the 2 cards into the single
    > laptop to achieve the higher speed?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Subbarayudu

    "Subbarayudu" <sdarisi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, please help
    point me in
    > the right direction.
    >
    > In the dialup days, one could increase the speed of the
    internet
    > connection by installing two modems on a single computer
    and
    > connecting them under Win98 to get faster connections.

    because it was essentially 2 connexions to the Internet,
    therefore, twice the speed, theoretically

    > Can a similar setup be done under XP/XPPro. I have a cable
    modem with
    > a Netgear wireless router (54 Mbps). I also have two
    802.11b (11Mbps)
    > wireless cards that I can install in my laptop (ofcourse
    WEP enabled).
    > If I do install both wireless cards into the single
    laptop, would I
    > see speeds greater than 11Mbps? If so, is there any
    configuration that
    > needs to be done other than installing the 2 cards into
    the single
    > laptop to achieve the higher speed?

    If it could be done, you'd also need two cable modems, and
    two internet connections ;-)
    One WiFi adapter is already faster than your current cable
    connection, so what would be the point?

    P.

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:16:44 +0100, PJB wrote:

    > "Subbarayudu" <sdarisi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, please help
    > point me in
    >> the right direction.
    >>
    >> In the dialup days, one could increase the speed of the
    > internet
    >> connection by installing two modems on a single computer
    > and
    >> connecting them under Win98 to get faster connections.
    >
    > because it was essentially 2 connexions to the Internet,
    > therefore, twice the speed, theoretically
    >

    >> Can a similar setup be done under XP/XPPro. I have a cable
    > modem with
    >> a Netgear wireless router (54 Mbps). I also have two
    > 802.11b (11Mbps)
    >> wireless cards that I can install in my laptop (ofcourse
    > WEP enabled).
    >> If I do install both wireless cards into the single
    > laptop, would I
    >> see speeds greater than 11Mbps? If so, is there any
    > configuration that
    >> needs to be done other than installing the 2 cards into
    > the single
    >> laptop to achieve the higher speed?
    >
    > If it could be done, you'd also need two cable modems, and
    > two internet connections ;-)
    > One WiFi adapter is already faster than your current cable
    > connection, so what would be the point?
    >
    > P.

    Putting 2 wireless cards in the same channel very close will create
    interferences, the speed you could gain with the second card will
    be loss due to signal degradation.

    Gessuss

    "Jesus" <jesus@datagym.ath.cx> wrote in message
    > > If it could be done, you'd also need two cable modems,
    and
    > > two internet connections ;-)
    > > One WiFi adapter is already faster than your current
    cable
    > > connection, so what would be the point?
    > >
    > > P.
    >
    > Putting 2 wireless cards in the same channel very close
    will create
    > interferences, the speed you could gain with the second
    card will
    > be loss due to signal degradation.

    Tell the original poster, he was asking, not me ;-)

    P.

    In article <pan.2004.04.17.19.48.37.648027@datagym.ath.cx>, Jesus <jesus@datagym.ath.cx> wrote:
    >On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:16:44 +0100, PJB wrote:
    >

    >> "Subbarayudu" <sdarisi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, please help
    >> point me in
    >>> the right direction.
    >>>
    >>> In the dialup days, one could increase the speed of the
    >> internet
    >>> connection by installing two modems on a single computer
    >> and
    >>> connecting them under Win98 to get faster connections.
    >>
    >> because it was essentially 2 connexions to the Internet,
    >> therefore, twice the speed, theoretically
    >>

    >>> Can a similar setup be done under XP/XPPro. I have a cable
    >> modem with
    >>> a Netgear wireless router (54 Mbps). I also have two
    >> 802.11b (11Mbps)
    >>> wireless cards that I can install in my laptop (ofcourse
    >> WEP enabled).
    >>> If I do install both wireless cards into the single
    >> laptop, would I
    >>> see speeds greater than 11Mbps? If so, is there any
    >> configuration that
    >>> needs to be done other than installing the 2 cards into
    >> the single
    >>> laptop to achieve the higher speed?
    >>
    >> If it could be done, you'd also need two cable modems, and
    >> two internet connections ;-)
    >> One WiFi adapter is already faster than your current cable
    >> connection, so what would be the point?
    >>
    >> P.
    >
    >Putting 2 wireless cards in the same channel very close will create
    >interferences, the speed you could gain with the second card will
    >be loss due to signal degradation.
    >
    >Gessuss

    Even if it could be made to work, why would anyone put the cards on the
    same channel and not on opposite ends (1 AND 11)?

Wireless Laptops Wireless Networking