Benefits of two wireless nics on a single laptop

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 9:51:53 PM

Not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, please help point me in
the right direction.

In the dialup days, one could increase the speed of the internet
connection by installing two modems on a single computer and
connecting them under Win98 to get faster connections.

Can a similar setup be done under XP/XPPro. I have a cable modem with
a Netgear wireless router (54 Mbps). I also have two 802.11b (11Mbps)
wireless cards that I can install in my laptop (ofcourse WEP enabled).
If I do install both wireless cards into the single laptop, would I
see speeds greater than 11Mbps? If so, is there any configuration that
needs to be done other than installing the 2 cards into the single
laptop to achieve the higher speed?

Cheers
Subbarayudu
April 17, 2004 5:16:33 AM

You're talking about bonding, or multilink PPOE. It's not part of the 802.11
standards, and it would have to be supported in the router or AP as well as
at the client. I'm not aware of any 802.11 standard equipment that supports
this. If you want to get higher rates, just move up to 802.11g.

"Subbarayudu" <sdarisi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 8b40754.0404161651.51a541c3@posting.google.com...
> Not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, please help point me in
> the right direction.
>
> In the dialup days, one could increase the speed of the internet
> connection by installing two modems on a single computer and
> connecting them under Win98 to get faster connections.
>
> Can a similar setup be done under XP/XPPro. I have a cable modem with
> a Netgear wireless router (54 Mbps). I also have two 802.11b (11Mbps)
> wireless cards that I can install in my laptop (ofcourse WEP enabled).
> If I do install both wireless cards into the single laptop, would I
> see speeds greater than 11Mbps? If so, is there any configuration that
> needs to be done other than installing the 2 cards into the single
> laptop to achieve the higher speed?
>
> Cheers
> Subbarayudu
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2004 12:16:44 PM

"Subbarayudu" <sdarisi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 8b40754.0404161651.51a541c3@posting.google.com...
> Not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, please help
point me in
> the right direction.
>
> In the dialup days, one could increase the speed of the
internet
> connection by installing two modems on a single computer
and
> connecting them under Win98 to get faster connections.

because it was essentially 2 connexions to the Internet,
therefore, twice the speed, theoretically

> Can a similar setup be done under XP/XPPro. I have a cable
modem with
> a Netgear wireless router (54 Mbps). I also have two
802.11b (11Mbps)
> wireless cards that I can install in my laptop (ofcourse
WEP enabled).
> If I do install both wireless cards into the single
laptop, would I
> see speeds greater than 11Mbps? If so, is there any
configuration that
> needs to be done other than installing the 2 cards into
the single
> laptop to achieve the higher speed?

If it could be done, you'd also need two cable modems, and
two internet connections ;-)
One WiFi adapter is already faster than your current cable
connection, so what would be the point?

P.
Related resources
April 18, 2004 12:48:49 AM

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:16:44 +0100, PJB wrote:

> "Subbarayudu" <sdarisi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 8b40754.0404161651.51a541c3@posting.google.com...
>> Not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, please help
> point me in
>> the right direction.
>>
>> In the dialup days, one could increase the speed of the
> internet
>> connection by installing two modems on a single computer
> and
>> connecting them under Win98 to get faster connections.
>
> because it was essentially 2 connexions to the Internet,
> therefore, twice the speed, theoretically
>

>> Can a similar setup be done under XP/XPPro. I have a cable
> modem with
>> a Netgear wireless router (54 Mbps). I also have two
> 802.11b (11Mbps)
>> wireless cards that I can install in my laptop (ofcourse
> WEP enabled).
>> If I do install both wireless cards into the single
> laptop, would I
>> see speeds greater than 11Mbps? If so, is there any
> configuration that
>> needs to be done other than installing the 2 cards into
> the single
>> laptop to achieve the higher speed?
>
> If it could be done, you'd also need two cable modems, and
> two internet connections ;-)
> One WiFi adapter is already faster than your current cable
> connection, so what would be the point?
>
> P.

Putting 2 wireless cards in the same channel very close will create
interferences, the speed you could gain with the second card will
be loss due to signal degradation.

Gessuss
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2004 2:55:41 AM

"Jesus" <jesus@datagym.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.04.17.19.48.37.648027@datagym.ath.cx...
> > If it could be done, you'd also need two cable modems,
and
> > two internet connections ;-)
> > One WiFi adapter is already faster than your current
cable
> > connection, so what would be the point?
> >
> > P.
>
> Putting 2 wireless cards in the same channel very close
will create
> interferences, the speed you could gain with the second
card will
> be loss due to signal degradation.

Tell the original poster, he was asking, not me ;-)

P.
April 18, 2004 7:05:03 PM

In article <pan.2004.04.17.19.48.37.648027@datagym.ath.cx>, Jesus <jesus@datagym.ath.cx> wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:16:44 +0100, PJB wrote:
>

>> "Subbarayudu" <sdarisi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 8b40754.0404161651.51a541c3@posting.google.com...
>>> Not sure if I am in the right forum. If not, please help
>> point me in
>>> the right direction.
>>>
>>> In the dialup days, one could increase the speed of the
>> internet
>>> connection by installing two modems on a single computer
>> and
>>> connecting them under Win98 to get faster connections.
>>
>> because it was essentially 2 connexions to the Internet,
>> therefore, twice the speed, theoretically
>>

>>> Can a similar setup be done under XP/XPPro. I have a cable
>> modem with
>>> a Netgear wireless router (54 Mbps). I also have two
>> 802.11b (11Mbps)
>>> wireless cards that I can install in my laptop (ofcourse
>> WEP enabled).
>>> If I do install both wireless cards into the single
>> laptop, would I
>>> see speeds greater than 11Mbps? If so, is there any
>> configuration that
>>> needs to be done other than installing the 2 cards into
>> the single
>>> laptop to achieve the higher speed?
>>
>> If it could be done, you'd also need two cable modems, and
>> two internet connections ;-)
>> One WiFi adapter is already faster than your current cable
>> connection, so what would be the point?
>>
>> P.
>
>Putting 2 wireless cards in the same channel very close will create
>interferences, the speed you could gain with the second card will
>be loss due to signal degradation.
>
>Gessuss

Even if it could be made to work, why would anyone put the cards on the
same channel and not on opposite ends (1 AND 11)?
!