I removed some software using a third party uninstaller. Next time I
started up the system, Windows would not boot. The error message
said that it could not find c:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM.
Having recently run a system maintenance utility, I had a SYSTEM.bak
in the config folder, so I deleted the bad SYSTEM file and renamed
the .bak file to SYSTEM. Now, I can boot into Safe mode, but I still
get a BLUE SCREEN when booting into Normal mode.

Any suggestions to get Windows to boot normally, without losing my
registry settings? I have over 70 programs installed... it would
take weeks to redo everything.

Experienced help appreciated!

FE

You may have difficulty finding "experienced help" with your problem, since
most people know better than to use third party uninstallers, or 'system
maintenance utilities'. You may have done irreparable damage to your system.

In order to provide specific assistance, you need to post the details of the
blue screen error message. In particular, post the hex code (begins with
0x000...) and the title (which LOOKS_LIKE_THIS.)

Otherwise...

Your first step is to try to boot from the last known good configuration,
explained here:
"How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration
feature in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852.

You could also try System Restore, with a restore pointed dated before the
problem started, unless that was more than a few days ago. Restore points
become increasingly inappropriate as time goes by.

After that, by far the fastest and easiest thing to do is to restore your
system partition from a known good image.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Fat Elvis" <Elvis@Lives.not> wrote in message
> I removed some software using a third party uninstaller. Next time I
> started up the system, Windows would not boot. The error message
> said that it could not find c:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM.
> Having recently run a system maintenance utility, I had a SYSTEM.bak
> in the config folder, so I deleted the bad SYSTEM file and renamed
> the .bak file to SYSTEM. Now, I can boot into Safe mode, but I still
> get a BLUE SCREEN when booting into Normal mode.
>
> Any suggestions to get Windows to boot normally, without losing my
> registry settings? I have over 70 programs installed... it would
> take weeks to redo everything.
>
> Experienced help appreciated!
>

> FE

Ditto waht Ted said. XP did have a problem loading the registry hives ---
specifically SYSTEM, and iirc, the one you manually recovered was from the
last install of XP.

As long as you are able to --- do it now in Safe --- use System Restore
(from All Programs>> Accessories>> System Tools). Select Restore option &
restore to an earlier date.
Give the process plenty (plenty) of time. Do not give up on it. It does
eventually finish.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Your points are well taken. Generally, using a program's own
uninstall routine is not very efficient. They tend to leave a big
mess behind in the registry. I have used third party uninstallers
for years with little or no problem. I attempt to clean the registry
now and then to reduce registry bloat.

I have System Restor disabled, so that's not an option, and my last
image is a bit too outdated. Of course, disaster never strikes the
day after a backup... at least, not in my case. :(

Here are the hex codes as present on screen:

0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x03020100, 0xF1CA34F8, 0X00000000)

Thank you, Ted, for your help with this.

FE

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:17:50 -0400, "Ted Zieglar"
<teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>You may have difficulty finding "experienced help" with your problem, since
>most people know better than to use third party uninstallers, or 'system
>maintenance utilities'. You may have done irreparable damage to your system.
>
>In order to provide specific assistance, you need to post the details of the
>blue screen error message. In particular, post the hex code (begins with
>0x000...) and the title (which LOOKS_LIKE_THIS.)
>
>Otherwise...
>
>Your first step is to try to boot from the last known good configuration,
>explained here:
>"How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration
>feature in Windows XP"
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852.
>
>You could also try System Restore, with a restore pointed dated before the
>problem started, unless that was more than a few days ago. Restore points
>become increasingly inappropriate as time goes by.
>
>After that, by far the fastest and easiest thing to do is to restore your
>system partition from a known good image.

My friend, you have a lot of outmoded ideas about Windows XP that may well
continue to land you in trouble.

The Microsoft Knowledge Base contains a good amount of information on that
error code. Have a look:
http://tinyurl.com/73jta