SP2 upgrade

June 10, 2005 4:06:18 PM

Awile ago Microsoft was saying that everybody that had windows xp sp1 had to
upgrade their computers to windows xp sp2. Or they were going to install it
on the computer themselves even if we had automatic updates turned off. Can
you tell me how much truth there is to that? I don't think we should be
forced to upgrade our computer operating system unless we want to. Thanks

Anna

More about : sp2 upgrade

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:46:34 PM

Anna;
Microsoft never said that and there is no truth to that rumour:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/forcesp2.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Anna" <MystyIsles@starband.net> wrote in message
> Awile ago Microsoft was saying that everybody that had windows xp sp1 had
> to upgrade their computers to windows xp sp2. Or they were going to
> install it on the computer themselves even if we had automatic updates
> turned off. Can you tell me how much truth there is to that? I don't think
> we should be forced to upgrade our computer operating system unless we
> want to. Thanks
>
> Anna
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:43:31 PM

Howdy Anna,

There's no forcing of update to Service Pack 2. If you have Automatic
Updates turned off, there is NO way to push that update. PLUS, even if you
do have Auto Updates activated, *you* (the pc user) have to accept the
license agreement--- which means you have to push the Accept option when the
EULA (license agreement) is presented.

Now then, what is your reservation about applying SP2 ? Do respond since I
hope to address your concerns.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User