Sign in with
Your question

Video card/Power supply problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2005 7:04:31 PM

I recently purchased/installed a new video card (MSI NX6600GT). Everything was running beautifully for the first three or four days...........playing games including Doom3 and Half-Life2. Now the games are basically un-playable........blank screen (Doom3) with game audio in background.........anomolies and artifacts in Half-Life2. I also can't play any DVD movies..........just lines of colors with no picture.
I know I'm stretching it a bit because I'm running a 330watt PSU, so I'm wondering if something may have happened to my power supply, or do I have a bad video card. I spoke with MSI tech. support, and they seem to think I have a defective card, even though these cards supposedly should have a minimum 350watt PSU. I've also spoken with others running the same card with the same set-up as myself, including the power supply, and they are having no problems at all. I'm in the process of exchanging my MSI card for another one, but I'm not ruling out a power supply problem as well. When I tried to run a DVD movie, I noticed in the Event Viewer this entry.........Event 106..Source NV...Description: Silent Running Stress Test Transition L2->L1
I suspect that this is related to power in some way.
At the desktop, it's basically ok, however, there are a few little quirks such as my animated icons flickering, and other subtle weirdness.
I should know for sure when I get the replacement card in a couple of days and install it.
My question is.........is it possible that something could have happened to the PSU from over-stressing it, and are there any other signs I should be looking for? Can an under-powered PSU damage a video card if it's not getting the power it needs? What's throwing me is the fact that everything was great for those first few days.
Thanks very much.......

Dell 8100
P4 2.0 ghz.
1024 mgs PC800 RDRAM
Quantum Fireball 20 g HD 7200
MSI NX 6600GT VIVO 128 mg
WD 40 g HD 7200
16x DVD Drive
12x8x32 CD/RW
330watt max PSU
Windows XP SP2
March 14, 2005 10:08:28 PM

Your power supply looks way too tiny.. They are not selling boxes with less than 420W (generic) in my comp store anymore.

The loving are the daring!
March 14, 2005 10:19:35 PM

Under-powering a gpu should not harm it, it just fails to function properly or just fails to function.

You can burn out a psu by drawing peak power output over extended periods.

Your gpu can suffer power-related damage just as any other component in your system due to irregular shutdowns/loss of power.

Your best scenario to avoid a re-run is beef up your psu with a quality replacement when you get your rma'd gpu.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
Related resources
March 15, 2005 1:29:07 AM

So at this point, something has happened to the video card,with what's going on graphically, and it doesn't sound like the PSU could have caused it, which would suggest a defective card. I did read somewhere that, supposedly, Nvidia inadverdently shipped a bad batch of GPU's sometime around the holidays, and that mistakenly, they made their way into cards. Whether this is accurate, and whether I happened to get one......I have no idea. The suggestion that running the PSU at it's max or near max capabilities for extended periods would cause adverse effects/damage the PS, makes total sense, but yet it's still working. I probably will get the custom Dell PSU from PC P&C at some point, but if the replacement card solves the problem....do I spend more money I don't have?? Sorry about all the rambling on.....I've just never experienced this type of problem. Is there any way of testing the PS for problems?
Thanks again for the input..anything is appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2005 4:10:05 AM

You could simply connect a volt meter to any 12v (yellow) wire to see if that voltage drops.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
March 15, 2005 4:41:51 AM

Good idea. Can you elaborate a bit more? Is it the yellow wire on any connector? PC running or shut down? Would I need to touch the (yellow wire) pin on the connector? Sorry about the rook questions. I have a voltmeter, but all I use it for is to check batteries and continuity. Thanks......
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2005 5:27:38 AM

Standard color codes for all power supply wires are Yellow=12v, Red=5v, Orange=3.3v. There are other wires, but these are the most important.

So you could use any connector you choose that provides the color you're looking for.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
March 15, 2005 12:32:01 PM

I wouldn't assume the Power Supply didn't cause the problem.

In fact, I'd lean toward the probability that it did, and may still be, the problem. I had all sort of crashing and funky stuff when my power supply proved not up to the task.

Easy test; test the card in a friend's computer. If it works, get a new PSU and try it again in your box; if it doesn't, RMA the card, THEN get a new PSU.

Either way, get a new PSU.

March 15, 2005 2:16:50 PM

Quote:
Either way, get a new PSU

Yep-yep. You should listen to the man and get a new PSU regardless...

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:
!