Rogers's new SMS policies

In another newsgroup, I've heard that the email to SMS gateway for Rogers now,
instead of sending the email to the handset, sends a notification and the user
then must respond to the SMS in order to get the actual SMS. (something about
accepting charges for the SMS).

Ths would be truly annoying if it were to happen to Fido. (and will eventually
happen once we're folded into Rogers).

Interestingly, people are now going around this by embedding the message in
the from: email address thus not requiring the handset user to respond to the
SMS to get the email since the confirmation SMS includes the "from" address.

(eg: you have an SMS from <user@domain.tld>, reply with "R" to get the message).

Just set "user" to contain the whole message...

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

This hasnt affected Rogers customers. I just sent myself an email to my
phone and I received the email normally.

What is different is that it used to indicate the email address of the
sender, now it just indicates the numeric "from" just like you are
sending an SMS from the web.

:

Pavel <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> This hasnt affected Rogers customers. I just sent myself an email to my
> phone and I received the email normally.

Just wondering, how do I send email to my Fido phone? Is the email address
<my_phone_number>@fido.ca or something like that?

"Pavel" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:Outyd.569001$%k.372921@pd7tw2no:

> This hasnt affected Rogers customers. I just sent myself an email to my
> phone and I received the email normally.
>
> What is different is that it used to indicate the email address of the
> sender, now it just indicates the numeric "from" just like you are
> sending an SMS from the web.

congrats on being one of the very few. are you on a corporate plan?

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=506000

it's affected just about everybody except for some corporate accounts, who
rightly bitched loudly enough and have the money to sway it.

basically, you now have to pay 5cents to read an email-->sms message. visit
the link above.

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
: :
: congrats on being one of the very few. are you on a corporate plan?
:
: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=506000
:
:
: it's affected just about everybody except for some corporate
accounts, who
: rightly bitched loudly enough and have the money to sway it.
:
: basically, you now have to pay 5cents to read an email-->sms
message. visit
: the link above.

Oh, no. Don't tell me that I have fallen into the "minority" category
again?!
Actually, I am on a corporate plan until then end of this month and
then in January I switch to a regular plan. I guess I will see then.

Fabian10

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
As per August 18th, 2009 Fido customers are suffering the same ordeal.
Now Fido uses the same email to SMS fashion as Rigers: either you reply 'Yes' to be able to read every single email sent to your phone, or you pay $5.00 per month to receive those emails without having to reply 'Yes' (the way it has always been).
This is unacceptable!
Please complain to Fido and let's hope they revert this service to the way it was before!!!!
I called them with my complains and I got this extra $5.00 service free for the next 2 years, but so far their system has a problem and the service doesn't work. I'm not happy at all.

Fabian