Moving Programs to New Computer

I have a new computer and would like to transfer certain progams from the old
to the new (both are running XP SP2). Can I simply move the program
directory for the particular software product over or do I need to go thru an
install process?

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about moving programs computer

    "billbrandi" <billbrandi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new computer and would like to transfer certain progams from
    >the old
    > to the new (both are running XP SP2). Can I simply move the program
    > directory for the particular software product over or do I need to go
    > thru an
    > install process?

    Are you also going to find every key or data item in the registry,
    export it, and then import it into your new setup and hope that you
    managed to get all the chaining and interdependencies correct, too? If
    you are using NTFS on the old and new system, how are you going to
    migrate from the SID (security identifier) used to manage permissions on
    your old system so you get the same SID on the new system (so you don't
    have to go through every file to ensure you have the same set of
    permissions on each one)?

    thanks

    billbrandi wrote:

    > I have a new computer and would like to transfer certain progams from
    > the old to the new (both are running XP SP2). Can I simply move the
    > program directory for the particular software product over or do I
    > need to go thru an install process?
    >

    > Thanks

    There are a few software programs that are designed to move programs
    between computers one is aloha bob but there are others do some
    research and ask them about the programs that you want to move

    Bill

    You need the original installation media..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "billbrandi" <billbrandi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new computer and would like to transfer certain progams from the
    >old
    > to the new (both are running XP SP2). Can I simply move the program
    > directory for the particular software product over or do I need to go thru
    > an
    > install process?
    >

    > Thanks

    Wouldn't it have been easier to just say 'no', instead of a S/A reply?

    --
    johnf

    "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Wouldn't it have been easier to just say 'no', instead of a S/A reply?
    >
    > --
    > johnf
    >
    >> "billbrandi" <billbrandi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I have a new computer and would like to transfer certain progams
    >>> from
    >>> the old
    >>> to the new (both are running XP SP2). Can I simply move the program
    >>> directory for the particular software product over or do I need to
    >>> go
    >>> thru an
    >>> install process?
    >>

    >> Are you also going to find every key or data item in the registry,
    >> export it, and then import it into your new setup and hope that you
    >> managed to get all the chaining and interdependencies correct, too?
    >> If
    >> you are using NTFS on the old and new system, how are you going to
    >> migrate from the SID (security identifier) used to manage permissions
    >> on
    >> your old system so you get the same SID on the new system (so you
    >> don't
    >> have to go through every file to ensure you have the same set of
    >> permissions on each one)?

    When someone asks you why, they expect *something* even if they
    understand it or don't care. It gives them the sense that they are
    making a choice rather than surrendering. Saying "No" to "Can I
    *simply* move ..." depends on what is your interpretation as to what
    qualifies as simple. The OP did not ask if it would be easier (to do an
    install instead of copy).

    Sorry, Vanguard, but the way it came across to me was a sarcastic reply
    implying the OP was stupid for not knowing these things.
    I don't know if anyone else read it this way but would be pleased to hear
    comments.
    If they're in your favour, I apologise for my original post.

    --
    Crochety Old Man 2

    > "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Wouldn't it have been easier to just say 'no', instead of a S/A reply?
    >>
    >> --
    >> johnf
    >>
    >>> "billbrandi" <billbrandi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Are you also going to find every key or data item in the registry,
    >>> export it, and then import it into your new setup and hope that you
    >>> managed to get all the chaining and interdependencies correct, too?
    >>> If
    >>> you are using NTFS on the old and new system, how are you going to
    >>> migrate from the SID (security identifier) used to manage permissions
    >>> on
    >>> your old system so you get the same SID on the new system (so you
    >>> don't
    >>> have to go through every file to ensure you have the same set of
    >>> permissions on each one)?
    >

    > When someone asks you why, they expect *something* even if they
    > understand it or don't care. It gives them the sense that they are
    > making a choice rather than surrendering. Saying "No" to "Can I
    > *simply* move ..." depends on what is your interpretation as to what
    > qualifies as simple. The OP did not ask if it would be easier (to do an
    > install instead of copy).

    In news:%23nVtN4lbFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    johnf <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> did some thinking and came up with these
    words:
    > Sorry, Vanguard, but the way it came across to me was a sarcastic
    > reply implying the OP was stupid for not knowing these things.
    > I don't know if anyone else read it this way but would be pleased to
    > hear comments.
    > If they're in your favour, I apologise for my original post.
    >

    >> "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >>> Wouldn't it have been easier to just say 'no', instead of a S/A
    >>> reply? --
    >>> johnf

    >> When someone asks you why, they expect *something* even if they
    >> understand it or don't care. It gives them the sense that they are
    >> making a choice rather than surrendering. Saying "No" to "Can I
    >> *simply* move ..." depends on what is your interpretation as to what
    >> qualifies as simple. The OP did not ask if it would be easier (to
    >> do an install instead of copy).

    NO - could have been a shorter and simpler reply, but giving the OP an
    insight into what would be involved in this situation they could not win
    would (IMHO) help to both answer the question and open their eyes a bit.

    --
    Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
    Associate Expert

Support Computers Microsoft Windows XP