Tech: Just messed up a Vector monitor!

Alright, I was wondering if maybe some of you with a little technical savvy
could help me fix this!

Anyways, I have an Asteroids Deluxe, with a WG V2000 in it, B&W vector
monitor, of course.

When I first got the game, it had an issue where the monitor wouldn't come
on sometimes when you powered up the game, and you'd get the red light to
blink on the deflection pcb, and then go out. Turn it off and on a few
times, game would pop right up.

So, eventually it got worse and worse until you couldn't get the monitor to
come up, period, just get the red light to flash, then nothing but a dead
red light and a dead monitor, while the rest of the cabinet came up.

So, I ordered a cap kit, with the 4 transisters that go on the side from Bob
Roberts...I installed it earlier, and it was really pretty easy, very
similar to the couple dozen or so cap kits I've put into Raster monitors.

I put the monitor back in, plug it up, turn the game on, and everything
comes up, but nothing from the monitor, although the red light on the
deflection board is now on solid, so that's good... then, I smell and see
smoke, pull the plug, and find out by looking at the deflection board that I
forgot to plug the yoke back in!

So, I plug the yoke back in (4 prong plug), check everything else, turn it
on, and the monitor gets heater glow, the red light is on steady on the
deflection board, nothing smokes or smells, but there's no picture. I've
checked all the connections, so I assume I've smoked something.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to start?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Ron
Charlotte, NC

Ron Lyons wrote:
> Alright, I was wondering if maybe some of you with a little technical savvy
> could help me fix this!
>
> Anyways, I have an Asteroids Deluxe, with a WG V2000 in it, B&W vector
> monitor, of course.
>
> When I first got the game, it had an issue where the monitor wouldn't come
> on sometimes when you powered up the game, and you'd get the red light to
> blink on the deflection pcb, and then go out. Turn it off and on a few
> times, game would pop right up.
>
> So, eventually it got worse and worse until you couldn't get the monitor to
> come up, period, just get the red light to flash, then nothing but a dead
> red light and a dead monitor, while the rest of the cabinet came up.
>
> So, I ordered a cap kit, with the 4 transisters that go on the side from Bob
> Roberts...I installed it earlier, and it was really pretty easy, very
> similar to the couple dozen or so cap kits I've put into Raster monitors.
>
> I put the monitor back in, plug it up, turn the game on, and everything
> comes up, but nothing from the monitor, although the red light on the
> deflection board is now on solid, so that's good... then, I smell and see
> smoke, pull the plug, and find out by looking at the deflection board that I
> forgot to plug the yoke back in!
>
> So, I plug the yoke back in (4 prong plug), check everything else, turn it
> on, and the monitor gets heater glow, the red light is on steady on the
> deflection board, nothing smokes or smells, but there's no picture. I've
> checked all the connections, so I assume I've smoked something.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions on where to start?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Ron
> Charlotte, NC

Turn the brightness up and see if there is a faint picture half or whole.

Brian Ray

:
[...]

Well, you can start by learning about what the red light means.

(Hint: It's supposed to be *off*)

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Thank you for the info, but maybe a little less sarcasm next time? I assume
at one point you didn't know everything, so try and take it easy on the rest
of us who still don't.

Thanks,

Ron

> Well, you can start by learning about what the red light means.
>
> (Hint: It's supposed to be *off*)
>
> --
> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

I think he's just trying to challenge you to dig through the schematics or
the web and find the information. It's often the best way for someone to
learn and have it stick - that's the way I am, anyway.

"Ron Lyons" <Lyonsronnie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for the info, but maybe a little less sarcasm next time? I
> assume at one point you didn't know everything, so try and take it easy on
> the rest of us who still don't.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron
>>
>> Well, you can start by learning about what the red light means.
>>
>> (Hint: It's supposed to be *off*)
>>
>> --
>> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
>> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
>> Cambridge, MA 02139
>> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

hell.. for Mark that WAS taking it easy on you...

"Ron Lyons" <Lyonsronnie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for the info, but maybe a little less sarcasm next time? I
> assume at one point you didn't know everything, so try and take it easy on
> the rest of us who still don't.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron
>>
>> Well, you can start by learning about what the red light means.
>>
>> (Hint: It's supposed to be *off*)
>>
>> --
>> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
>> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
>> Cambridge, MA 02139
>> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

Andy

Hey Ron, have I met you before? Your name sounds familiar - I am in
Charlotte too.

Andy

www.charlottepinball.com

> Alright, I was wondering if maybe some of you with a little technical
> savvy could help me fix this!
>
> Anyways, I have an Asteroids Deluxe, with a WG V2000 in it, B&W vector
> monitor, of course.
>
> When I first got the game, it had an issue where the monitor wouldn't come
> on sometimes when you powered up the game, and you'd get the red light to
> blink on the deflection pcb, and then go out. Turn it off and on a few
> times, game would pop right up.
>
> So, eventually it got worse and worse until you couldn't get the monitor
> to come up, period, just get the red light to flash, then nothing but a
> dead red light and a dead monitor, while the rest of the cabinet came up.
>
> So, I ordered a cap kit, with the 4 transisters that go on the side from
> Bob Roberts...I installed it earlier, and it was really pretty easy, very
> similar to the couple dozen or so cap kits I've put into Raster monitors.
>
> I put the monitor back in, plug it up, turn the game on, and everything
> comes up, but nothing from the monitor, although the red light on the
> deflection board is now on solid, so that's good... then, I smell and see
> smoke, pull the plug, and find out by looking at the deflection board that
> I forgot to plug the yoke back in!
>
> So, I plug the yoke back in (4 prong plug), check everything else, turn it
> on, and the monitor gets heater glow, the red light is on steady on the
> deflection board, nothing smokes or smells, but there's no picture. I've
> checked all the connections, so I assume I've smoked something.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions on where to start?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Ron
> Charlotte, NC

Here's your solution:

Working B&W vector safely housed in a Battlezone cabinet for safe
transport. Even has a set of Battlezone boards to show the monitor
working. :->

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195576911

Andy wrote:
> Hey Ron, have I met you before? Your name sounds familiar - I am in
> Charlotte too.
>
> Andy
>
> www.charlottepinball.com
>
> "Ron Lyons" <Lyonsronnie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Alright, I was wondering if maybe some of you with a little technical
>>savvy could help me fix this!
>>
>>Anyways, I have an Asteroids Deluxe, with a WG V2000 in it, B&W vector
>>monitor, of course.
>>
>>When I first got the game, it had an issue where the monitor wouldn't come
>>on sometimes when you powered up the game, and you'd get the red light to
>>blink on the deflection pcb, and then go out. Turn it off and on a few
>>times, game would pop right up.
>>
>>So, eventually it got worse and worse until you couldn't get the monitor
>>to come up, period, just get the red light to flash, then nothing but a
>>dead red light and a dead monitor, while the rest of the cabinet came up.
>>
>>So, I ordered a cap kit, with the 4 transisters that go on the side from
>>Bob Roberts...I installed it earlier, and it was really pretty easy, very
>>similar to the couple dozen or so cap kits I've put into Raster monitors.
>>
>>I put the monitor back in, plug it up, turn the game on, and everything
>>comes up, but nothing from the monitor, although the red light on the
>>deflection board is now on solid, so that's good... then, I smell and see
>>smoke, pull the plug, and find out by looking at the deflection board that
>>I forgot to plug the yoke back in!
>>
>>So, I plug the yoke back in (4 prong plug), check everything else, turn it
>>on, and the monitor gets heater glow, the red light is on steady on the
>>deflection board, nothing smokes or smells, but there's no picture. I've
>>checked all the connections, so I assume I've smoked something.
>>
>>Does anybody have any suggestions on where to start?
>>
>>Any help will be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>Ron
>>Charlotte, NC

Ron, Your best bet would be to ship these off to have them repaired.

-isaac

I'll try that out, Brian, and let the board know where it stands, thanks for
your help!

Ron

"Flyinwalenda" <flyinwalenda@NOSPAMfreeplayentertainment.com> > Turn the
brightness up and see if there is a faint picture half or whole.

> Brian Ray

Ron, there's a very good FAQ on your monitor at www.ionpool.net with a
full section on theory of operation and troubleshooting.

For starters- check the fuses on the deflection board and check the
transistors you replaced to ensure they are isolated from their mounts.
Visually inspect the board for any burnt components, then check the
FAQ for cause/effect relationships.

Don't throw in the towel yet- it might be an easy fix (hopefully).

Mike Doyle

> I'll try that out, Brian, and let the board know where it stands, thanks for
> your help!

> "Flyinwalenda" <flyinwalenda@NOSPAMfreeplayentertainment.com> > Turn the
> brightness up and see if there is a faint picture half or whole.

I hate to say so, but that's bad advice. A simple brightness adjustment isn't going
to un-smoke the parts that smoked...

Alex
----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com

Unfortunately, Alex, it's the only advice I've received :(

I've got a few other people helping me via private email, I'll let everyone
know what happens.

Ron

"Alex Yeckley" <ayeckley@elektronforge.com> wrote in message
> I hate to say so, but that's bad advice. A simple brightness adjustment
> isn't going
> to un-smoke the parts that smoked...
>
> Alex
> ----
> ayeckley@elektronforge.com
> www.elektronforge.com

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

not if the z is dead somehow and the x/y is still working, or the tube is
really stuffed and is very dim, or the screen voltage dropped down.

VaxX <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote:
: not if the z is dead somehow and the x/y is still working, or the tube is
: really stuffed and is very dim, or the screen voltage dropped down.

The spot killer's on... at least one of X-Y is dead.