Scary temps with 71.84 driver!

Son_of_Blob

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
Hi guys,
I don't post much here but I just had to share this one around and also ask if anyone else has spotted this.

I have an nVidia 6000GT, which has been running along quite sweetly since I got it and certainly has had no problems controlling core temperature with its stock reference cooler. Yesterday however I upgraded my driver from the 66.93 to the newly certified 71.83. Anyway, yesterday was kinda hot here in OZ, about 30C (86F), so I decided to check on the temp of both CPU and GPU. The CPU was fine...about 57C but the GPU was 76C on IDLE!! What was more, the ambient temp reading was way high too. Man, I freaked and immediately shut everything down and gave the computer a good clean out to make sure dust and junk wasn't blocking the heat sink/fan or maybe the sensor. Turned everything back on and the temp was even higher...tried Rivatuner to see if it said the same thing and it did. The GPU shot straight to 80C at idle with not a game in sight. I thought maybe the thermal paste join had failed on the heat sink or maybe the sensor was dying (obviously, I had already checked the fan). Did some searching on the net and heard that the driver could be an issue. Went back to the 66.93s and waddya know, the GPU temp dropped to 51C with an ambient of 39C (where it is now as a matter of fact).

Anyone else have this glitch with the 71.84 driver and 6800GTs??

And, just out of interest how come my ambient temperature is currently reading 39C with a core temp of 51C when in actual fact the room temperature is only about 25C and my Asus probe says my CPU is at 49C with a motherboard temp of only 29C???? I should point out that I have a completely open case at the moment and there's no way that GPU is getting warm from the CPU or power supply's heat.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Read the driver release notes. They mention that under certain conditions the temp monitor reports temps incorrectly (25 degrees higher than it should be). This, of course, is one of the "known issues" and "will be addressed" in new driver releases. See if your conditions are the same as mentioned in the driver release notes available in *.pdf on the nVIDIA driver download page.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

Son_of_Blob

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
"Read the driver release notes."

Ah-ha! Thanks for that. This is what happens when one doesn't "read the freakin' instructions", which I simply couldn't be bothered with yet, as I had more interesting things to do over the weekend (like messing about in boats).

Having just now gone through the release notes, I must say that for nVidia to release a WHQL driver in this state is a flaming disgrace. And people are talking about using PCs as the centre of home entertainment systems? No way, these Mickey Mouse pieces of crap are a joke compared to properly produced consumer electronics gear.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
I have seen that as well and its quite real my water cooling can't keep the GPU on idle below 50. As well my CPU pre 71.83 was sitting 28-30 idle now its up to 35 idle.

-Jeremy Dach