How do I get Windows XP HE to display .jpg files located in the Windows
directory in the Background list in Display Properties? Right now, it only
lists .bmp files, but I can use jpeg's if I select them from another file
location--they just don't remain in the list after I deselect them.

Thanks,
Nat Turner

curt

In addition to what Ramesh has said, you can also open those .bmp files in a
photo editor, use the "save as" option, and save them as .jpeg files in the
same folder as the .bmp's.

--
Curt,
'The way is open to those who would see'
"Nat Turner" <Nat Turner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I get Windows XP HE to display .jpg files located in the Windows
> directory in the Background list in Display Properties? Right now, it
> only
> lists .bmp files, but I can use jpeg's if I select them from another file
> location--they just don't remain in the list after I deselect them.
>
> Thanks,
> Nat Turner

Nat,

This is normal. For the Display Properties Background tab, Windows XP
fetches the image files from the following locations:

BMP Files from %Systemroot% folder. This is usually C:\Windows

BMP, JPG, GIF, JPE, DIB, PNG, HTM files from the following locations:
%Systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper
%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures (& sub-folders)
%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
%ProgramFiles%\Plus!\Themes (& sub-folders)

I don't think the default behavior can be changed. You may instead move the
..JPG file to My Pictures or the Web\Wallpaper folder.

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"Nat Turner" <Nat Turner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I get Windows XP HE to display .jpg files located in the Windows
> directory in the Background list in Display Properties? Right now, it
> only
> lists .bmp files, but I can use jpeg's if I select them from another file
> location--they just don't remain in the list after I deselect them.
>
> Thanks,
> Nat Turner

Ramesh--

Thanks for the help--I moved the jpeg's to Windows/Web/Wallpaper, and they
appeared in the Background list just fine.

'Ppreciate it!

Nat Turner

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Nat,
>
> This is normal. For the Display Properties Background tab, Windows XP
> fetches the image files from the following locations:
>
> BMP Files from %Systemroot% folder. This is usually C:\Windows
>
> BMP, JPG, GIF, JPE, DIB, PNG, HTM files from the following locations:
> %Systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper
> %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures (& sub-folders)
> %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
> %ProgramFiles%\Plus!\Themes (& sub-folders)
>
> I don't think the default behavior can be changed. You may instead move the
> ..JPG file to My Pictures or the Web\Wallpaper folder.
>
> --
> Ramesh Srinivasan
> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "Nat Turner" <Nat Turner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I get Windows XP HE to display .jpg files located in the Windows
> > directory in the Background list in Display Properties? Right now, it
> > only
> > lists .bmp files, but I can use jpeg's if I select them from another file
> > location--they just don't remain in the list after I deselect them.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nat Turner

You're welcome Nat.