Can't Turn Wireless Network Back On

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I've got an Inspiron 8600, Windows XP Home, SP1.

I disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2, and
now I can't seem to get the signal back. This is the first time I've
done this. (I just wanted to see how the Fn F2 worked. I've been
connecting to my wireless network just fine for nearly 9 months.)

My network connections window has Wireless Network Connection listed, but
as unavailable.

A right click properties shows that I have "Use Windows to configure my
wireless network settings" enabled (as it always has been), but there are
no available networks listed. The network is listed in "Preferred
networks", though.

I have an Inspiron 6000 XP Home, SP2 running right next to the 8600, and
it is connected to the wireless network (strong signal, too) just fine.

What have I done?

Thanks,
Bruce
6 answers Last reply
More about turn wireless network back
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > I've got an Inspiron 8600, Windows XP Home, SP1.
    >
    > I disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2, and
    > now I can't seem to get the signal back. This is the first time I've
    > done this. (I just wanted to see how the Fn F2 worked. I've been
    > connecting to my wireless network just fine for nearly 9 months.)
    >
    > My network connections window has Wireless Network Connection listed, but
    > as unavailable.
    >
    > A right click properties shows that I have "Use Windows to configure my
    > wireless network settings" enabled (as it always has been), but there are
    > no available networks listed. The network is listed in "Preferred
    > networks", though.
    >
    > I have an Inspiron 6000 XP Home, SP2 running right next to the 8600, and
    > it is connected to the wireless network (strong signal, too) just fine.
    >
    > What have I done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bruce

    both my desktop and Dell M60 have "Use Windows to configure my
    wireless network settings" disabled.............if its enabled I get no
    connection. What wireless system and hardware are you running.

    dj
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Bruce wrote:
    > disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2,
    and
    > now I can't seem to get the signal back.

    This maybe a dumb question...but have you
    simply just hit the Fn F2 again to turn it
    back on. That is what the manual online seems
    to suggest.
    Dave
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "A Supporter" <STS@FBCbtinternet.com> wrote in

    > "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> I've got an Inspiron 8600, Windows XP Home, SP1.
    >>
    >> I disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2,
    >> and now I can't seem to get the signal back. This is the first time
    >> I've done this. (I just wanted to see how the Fn F2 worked. I've
    >> been connecting to my wireless network just fine for nearly 9
    >> months.)
    >>
    >> My network connections window has Wireless Network Connection listed,
    >> but as unavailable.
    >>
    >> A right click properties shows that I have "Use Windows to configure
    >> my wireless network settings" enabled (as it always has been), but
    >> there are no available networks listed. The network is listed in
    >> "Preferred networks", though.
    >>
    >> I have an Inspiron 6000 XP Home, SP2 running right next to the 8600,
    >> and it is connected to the wireless network (strong signal, too) just
    >> fine.
    >>
    >> What have I done?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bruce
    >
    > both my desktop and Dell M60 have "Use Windows to configure my
    > wireless network settings" disabled.............if its enabled I get
    > no connection. What wireless system and hardware are you running.
    >
    > dj

    Hi,

    The machine is a Dell Inspiron 8600 with an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG card.
    Normally, "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" is
    enabled, but I did try disabling it. No luck.

    Bruce
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in news:1111722747.134459.298180
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Bruce wrote:
    >> disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2,
    > and
    >> now I can't seem to get the signal back.
    >

    > This maybe a dumb question...but have you
    > simply just hit the Fn F2 again to turn it
    > back on. That is what the manual online seems
    > to suggest.
    > Dave

    Hi, Dave,

    Yep, that was the first thing I did, Fn F2...

    But, after a system restore to an earlier time when the wireless
    connection did work (a day earlier) failed to cure the problem, I finally
    decided to uninstall the wireless connection, and reinstall it. That
    fixed the problem. I don't think I'll hit the Fn F2 again. (Well, being
    the inquisitive type, I probably will. <g> )
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I had a similar problem with my 1150. I ended up going into the device
    manager and enabling the card that way.

    > "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in news:1111722747.134459.298180
    > @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> Bruce wrote:
    >>> disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2,
    >> and
    >>> now I can't seem to get the signal back.
    >>

    >> This maybe a dumb question...but have you
    >> simply just hit the Fn F2 again to turn it
    >> back on. That is what the manual online seems
    >> to suggest.
    >> Dave
    >>

    > Hi, Dave,
    >
    > Yep, that was the first thing I did, Fn F2...
    >
    > But, after a system restore to an earlier time when the wireless
    > connection did work (a day earlier) failed to cure the problem, I finally
    > decided to uninstall the wireless connection, and reinstall it. That
    > fixed the problem. I don't think I'll hit the Fn F2 again. (Well, being
    > the inquisitive type, I probably will. <g> )
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    My 8600, which has the same wireless caed uses Broacom Advance Control to
    configure the wireless card. Windows Wireless Connection won,t turn it on or
    off. Also if use go into the control panel there is an Icon for the Intel
    Pro/Wireless card, (or at least mine does). I've had to go under the network
    tab nd click connect to get mine back on once.
    Al

    "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > I've got an Inspiron 8600, Windows XP Home, SP1.
    >
    > I disconnected from my wireless network connection by pressing Fn F2, and
    > now I can't seem to get the signal back. This is the first time I've
    > done this. (I just wanted to see how the Fn F2 worked. I've been
    > connecting to my wireless network just fine for nearly 9 months.)
    >
    > My network connections window has Wireless Network Connection listed, but
    > as unavailable.
    >
    > A right click properties shows that I have "Use Windows to configure my
    > wireless network settings" enabled (as it always has been), but there are
    > no available networks listed. The network is listed in "Preferred
    > networks", though.
    >
    > I have an Inspiron 6000 XP Home, SP2 running right next to the 8600, and
    > it is connected to the wireless network (strong signal, too) just fine.
    >
    > What have I done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bruce

Dell Wireless Network Connection Windows XP Computers