XFX GF 6800 GT problem.

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
I purchased this card about a week ago, had no problems at all until last night.

When playing World of Warcraft, my screen keeps turning black, then a second later it turns back to normal. It can happen a few times in a short space of time, or only once in a night, but it's very frustrating.

My setup is:
socket 754 AMD 64 3000+
XFX GF 6800 GT
Gigabyte Mobo
1gb pc3200 crossair xms ram
Sony TFT monitor.

I've tried the most recent and a few past versions of nvidias drivers. No difference.

With the latest drivers it says the core temp is 72degrees. With the older ones it hovers between 52-68.

I'm wondering if the problem is that the gfx card is getting too hot? I haven't overclocked anything, but my case is very standard, only has a few fans.

Or perhaps it isnt the gfx card that is the problem?

If it is the case/cooling that is the problem, any suggestions on replacements would be highly appreicated.

Thanking you in advance.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Overheating is a possibility...Maybe even the most probable one. Have you tried stress testing it with other programs to see if it'll do the same thing? Programs like 3dmark 03 and 05 are some good ones to an extent (if you're only going to do 1, do 05 and do nature several times. 3dmark 01 and pcmark 04 aren't as hard on the newer cards fyi. Aquamark is another good one. I'm sure some other people will be able to recommend some others. My xfx 6800gt hasn't ever had that specific problem.

If you can't replicate the problem in these programs, or other ones: Look to wow for updates or a special 'fix', or hit the forums if you haven't already and look for similar issues.

Current machines running F@H:
AMD: [64 3500+][64 3000+][2500+][2000+][1.3x1][366]
Intel: [X 3.0][P4 3.0][P4 2.4x5][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

TRENDING THREADS