I7 720qm + Radeon Mobility 5730 vs A10 4600M vs (Wait for Kaveri)

I am planning on purchasing a new laptop next year in the summer for college, and a little bit of gaming if I had the free time. I do not care about battery life if I'm gaming, because I will most likely setup a cooling platform for the laptop in my dorm. My current N61Jq laptop still can handle games I throw at it, but it's a bulky 17' laptop. I prefer a 15' and/or lighter laptop.

The N61Jq often heats up close to 90 C under load unless if I take off the back panel (which then only reaches high 60 C, even when the GPU is OC'ed). I suppose I could simply use tape to hold the back panel to the bottom of the laptop instead of screws so when I do want to game in my dorm, I could easily take off the panel. The i7 processor can only be OC'ed by BCLK, and only one software can adjust the BCLK on the laptop, for a price.

Should I get the A10? Or should I wait for AMD to release the Kaveri APU and spend at least a few weeks/months carrying around the N61Jq?
7 answers Last reply
More about 720qm radeon mobility 5730 4600m wait kaveri
  1. You wouldn't be disappointed with the A10 in comparison to the 720QM, it should be a lot better, theoretically (I haven't seen one in action yet). The 7660g isn't too far below the 5730m that you currently have.
  2. Notebookcheck placed the 7660G in the upper Class 3 GPU, and the 5730 in the mid Class 2. The high end desktop GPUs are in Class 1 as an comparison: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7660G.69830.0.html

As for the CPU comparison, I recall reading that the i7 720qm is faster than the A10's CPU. Though I don't think they took OCing in account, so I'm not sure.
  3. Quick question: what's your price cap?
  4. $700-$1000, minimal resolution is 720p, and min screen size is 14'. I would prefer if the A10 laptop allows at least RAM OCing (if the mobile Trinity supports +1600 MHz), though preferably voltage adjustments and GPU OCing.
  5. A Bad Day said:
    $700-$1000, minimal resolution is 720p, and min screen size is 14'. I would prefer if the A10 laptop allows at least RAM OCing (if the mobile Trinity supports +1600 MHz), though preferably voltage adjustments and GPU OCing.

Why don't you look at the Lenovo Y580? It fits the requirements to a T and the 660M will totally spank that 5730M's performance. The Y480 is a little less powerful with a 640M but its still better than what you have and lighter. The disappointing LED panel (1366x768) is the only thing I don't like about them, but without going over $1000 you can't be asking for a whole lot, though I am sure someone here can find you something real nice under that price.
  6. Currently I'm not interested in a new laptop since I'm waiting until next summer.

I just wanted to know the performance difference between two configs, and if I should wait for AMD's 2013 APUs?
  7. If you're waiting until next summer, the clear answer is yes wait for the next ones. Their performance will easily trump current-gen APUs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Gaming Mobility Product