When i start my cpu up, it seems to hang for about 1 1/2mins to 2 mins before
i can use any desktop icon. I also get the pop up message in the task bar
that tells me there is limited or connectivity. I have asked this before and
no there is no loose wires to my modem or such. Everything is set up fine as
far as that is concerned. It seems to me that it is hanging, because the
computer is trying to connect to a local area connection. I did once have a
router connected to my cpu, but have since removed it. What do i need to do
so that i dont have to wait 90-120 seconds after turning my power on and the
my desktop coming up. This problem has only occcured since i removed the
router

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/detroit03/ said:

> When I start my cpu up, it seems to hang for about 1 1/2mins to 2 mins before
> I can use any desktop icon. I also get the pop up message in the task bar
> that tells me there is limited or connectivity. I have asked this before and
> no there is no loose wires to my modem or such. Everything is set up fine as
> far as that is concerned. It seems to me that it is hanging, because the
> computer is trying to connect to a local area connection. I did once have a
> router connected to my cpu, but have since removed it. What do I need to do
> so that I don't have to wait 90-120 seconds after turning my power on and the
> my desktop coming up. This problem has only occcured since I removed the
> router.

Many causes are possible. Click START|RUN and type "msconfig" <enter>.
Click the Start Up tab, and UNcheck any items that you do not want running
at start up. After a reboot, put a checkmark in the box of the warning
prompt that will appear - and click on OK.

You might also try temporarily disconnecting a USB card reader, if you
have one. If not correctly installed, that can hang the PC. Check the
links below for other ideas.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

You might also try this: go to My Network Places, and delete all entries.
This is a known XP slowdown issue.

HTH