Oct 6, 2012
Hello.

Please, what do you think for a GAMING notebook (basically World of Warcraft):

1) Intel Core i7-2630QM + Radeon HD 6770M (1GB) + 8GB RAM [HP]

or

2) Intel Core i5-3210M + Radeon HD 7730M (2GB) + 8GB RAM [DELL]

Thanks a lot for your help!

Solution

Bad advice, he wants this for gaming, the 7730m walks all over the 6770m for gaming performance, and the i5 has more than performance enough for any games, the GPU will bottleneck first anyway.

If you go for the 6770m you're cutting yourself short and you'll have to use low settings on later games.

phasmatic2000

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
It's a close battle, really. The Dell is slightly faster in terms of GPU power, but the HP will give you the benefits of a quad core. Of course, the quad core has a slower clock than the i5, but the i5 is a dual core. (2 ghz vs 2.5). I would personally go for the HP because the 6770m is a solid GPU and the quad core will help in the long run.

dodgyx666

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Bad advice, he wants this for gaming, the 7730m walks all over the 6770m for gaming performance, and the i5 has more than performance enough for any games, the GPU will bottleneck first anyway.

If you go for the 6770m you're cutting yourself short and you'll have to use low settings on later games.

Solution

BrMBr

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

Yeah, that is what I think. Even if the processor has less cores, at least the GPU is better.

dodgyx666

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Unless you use ultra settins, games likee BF3 won't use 4 cores anyway, and you won't be using max settings with either GPU so the 7730m is the better option for gaming, by quite a bit.

I would go with the Intel Core i5-3210M + Radeon HD 7730M since WOW does not use more than 2 cores.

Generally speaking for games, you want a faster graphics card over a slower graphics card. Additionally, a slower quad core (by 500MHz) is generally not much better (if at all) compared to a faster dual core. A slower quad core CPU may be better than a faster dual core CPU if you are running programs that are very CPU intensive like video encoding.

I dont really like any of those. Let me explain:
Normally, ATi cards consume a bit more energy than nVidia, and because of this, they run hotter. ( and are slightly faster in some games).
HP and DELL are not particulry known for good internal layout, decent cooling, or even decent thermal paste, so it might be an issue very fast.

I suggest if you cant test them before buying (at a store), make sure your warrnty is NOT void by changing the thermal paste for something fresh and effecive.

Status
Not open for further replies.