Yep. I'm confused.

airtaz

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2005
Think I need a new video card.

system: asus A7V8X, amd 1800+, 1 gig ram, gefore 4 mx420.

Pretty outdated, I know. I'm looking to up the video card. I think that will get me by until I can't do a full new system with w/e this pci-e is going to do for me. Mainly what I do, is surf the net and play games. The main game I play right now is RYL(Pote). I'm not sure if raising my cpu or video card will do the trick for me. As for the video card, I'm really lost these days on them. There are sooo many companies who make cards using the same chips. And the prices could be a couple hundred dollars from each other as well. I'm looking to spend around 150 US dollars. I understand that getting a new cpu instead may be better in the long run as well, but being this a video card thread -- I'm not expecting too much info comparing which would be better for me. So as for the video card.... ? Thx

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by airtaz on 03/16/05 10:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
For gaming, your weakest link right now is your video card.

$150 US will get you a used Radeon 9700 PRO on ebay. That's your best bet.

If you only want new, you should be able to find a Radeon 9600Xt (or 9600 PRO for about $110). Either would make a huge difference in your gaming prowess.

Later when you can afford it you can upgrade your CPU. But right now you're better off getting the videocard. It'll make the biggest difference.

At least 512 megs of ram will help performance, too, if you have less.

cleeve

Illustrious
A 1800+ will use the power of a 9700 PRO in some games, plus he can upgrade his CPU later... in which case, why upgrade the videocard again?

airtaz

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2005
Thanks for the input guys. The Ti4200 turns out to be a very cheap, money wise, card...good thing:) Is it that much better than the current geforce 4 mx 420? My plans are, to upgrade this computer. Within the next year, I will be making a new one for myself and passing this one along to my son. So what I do to it now, will need to last him a couple of years maybe. Currently his main game is also RYL and warcraft type games as well. I was really planning on staying on the nvidia side too. The card I was looking at was the 6600...not sure if the gt or any others is that much better than the other for the money. The cpu (amd) will be upgraded to the max that my main board can handle about 2 months after the video upgrade. I'm thinking this is an old system, but it will still get the job done for us for a couple of years if upgraded properly. What companies should we not look at? There are alot of companies that use all of these chipsets.

cleeve

Illustrious
The Ti4200 is a million times better than the MX420. Seriously.

The 6600GT is probably about 20% to 40% better than the vanilla 6600, so it's worth the extra cash.

pauldh

Illustrious
What's a million in Canadian = to in the US? Oh well seems about right anyway. :tongue: Ti4200 would be nice, 9700 pro, 9800 pro, GF6600GT, GF6800 would be better. Man, pop a Xp2800+ on that mobo, he'd be good to go for a while with a 9700 pro to 6800 class card. And one lucky son when Daddy builds himself PCI-e A64 and passes this rig on.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
To begin with, the GeForce 4 MX420 isn't even a GeForce4, it's actually a GeForce2 MX with slightly enhanced clock rates. It could be easily beaten by a GeForce3, or even a GeForce2 Ultra. And it's only a DirectX 7 card!

The GeForce4 Ti4200 is a real GeForce4, the cheapest of the GeForce4 series to use a real GeForce4 chip. It's probably around 4x as powerfull as the chip you have, with probably around 4x the memory performance as well, and DirectX 8 features, which are far and beyond DX7 for realism.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>