Sign in with
Your question

White Hat Hacking Competition Questions

Last response: in Business Computing
August 23, 2012 3:12:29 AM

Hello,
Next March I will be participating in a beginner level white hat hacking competition. I have not previously done much hacking, although I am good at command-line level operations across multiple platforms. The only clue which they give is this
Quote:
"Your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves the recovery of a hidden phrase from Mr. Shade's secure server. Mr. Shade is an eccentric billionaire with state-of-the-art security. You must be able to overcome several obstacles before you recover the data. Our initial reconnaissance shows that you may need the following skills: Linux Shell commands, basic programming, network scanning, understanding of how servers work, knowledge about SSH, general hacker knowledge and basic cryptography." You will have 45 minutes max to solve the puzzle. Time is the enemy, and the faster you succeed, the more points you accumulate.
After reading that, what do you think I should study most? Also, what would be your best guess as to what the competition will actually consist of? I would be very grateful for any assistance.
Thanks In Advance
August 23, 2012 8:08:19 AM

Quote:
Linux Shell commands, basic programming, network scanning, understanding of how servers work, knowledge about SSH, general hacker knowledge and basic cryptography

You answered it yourself there

To be honest if you have to ask you probably shouldnt be competeing.
!