tameanaka

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
Hey guys, i'm gonna be getting a new card soon and would like to know which is better to go with. 6800 or like a x800xl or whatever is better at a decent price range. I will be using PCIe. I'd like to get the best card that I could for $330 or less. Suggestions please.

pauldh

Illustrious
X800XL's can be found for under $300 and blow away anything for that price. <b>That is the PCI-e card to get in your price range.</b> NVidia's closest performing card is the GF6800GT, which will run you almost $100 more.

Side note: In AGP, the GF6800GT is a very good buy and just about down in that $330 range now. X800XL AGP is not quite out yet and will cost about the same as the GF6800Gt.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
Another vote for the X800 XL.

It's the clear choice at that price point in PCI-e.

armax1980

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
I vote for 800xl 300 bucks and you get 16 pipes and performance that sometimes equal that of a 400-500 buck card like the 6800gt pci-e

<pre>X800XL</pre><p>

G

x800xl no doubt, can't wait to get mine going :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

Wonder why Kinney didn't throw out the 6800GT SLI option... :evil:

He's been called away to fight under another forum banner (AT).

He may be back in a few days I guess.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

G

LMAO!! :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
Hmm my name is being mentioned.. I hear my name from miles away..

by the way, here my POV. which of course is different than this michael jackson neverland-like ATI fanboy playground's opinion.

its hilarous to see everyone being like "SA-WHEETZORZ! ATI FINALLY HAS SOMETHING WORTH A [-peep-]!"

my take and statement on this is as follows:

i do not hate the x800xl.. why would I? the only TRUE fanboy that i've identified around here is wusy, and i'm 99% sure cleeve would give his left nut to put ATI in 1st place every gen. :evil:

but its a good card, esp if you are short on cash.
do i feel the extra $100 is worth it to go 6800gt? Yes. I feel DX9C support and SLI upgrade capability is well worth it, take it from me.. I use 2 of these things and it totally obliterates anything ATI can muster. Esp a puny x800xl.

But, that said.. i coudl see why someone who didnt have a NF4 SLI might not care about this.. and i could concieve ppl not having the wisdom to not at least want SM3 right now.. fine.

But as a final point, i think its shitty it took ATI this long to put out a decent card that is actually worth buying (ie. getting something available, and for MSRP).. and RIGHT AS THEIR OWN SM3/SLI HARDWARE IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER, PPL ARE EXPECTED TO BUY THIS.

I'd suggest against it, maybe if this was last summer and the x800xl was here.. I'd be a fan.. but its too little, too late.

Not a bad choice! Dont get me wrong.. but not my choice for the above reasons.

I personally prob wouldnt buy either lineup right now due to the new cards coming fairly soon.
But if I were too, and I wasnt the type to upgrade every year (which the OP apparantly isnt if he waited this long, this gen).. then I'd get a GF6. You are going to be stuck with this card for some time probably.. do yourself a favor and get DX9C hardware (Geforce6).. longterm it IS better.
ESPECIALLY considering you have to have PCIE for the X800XL anyway.

But if you are more than likely running a NF4 SLI, then in the name of God.. you'd be a retard to not at least think about the 6800GT.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
we all know for sure the BEST mid to high end card around is the Volari V8, i mean that thing is just amazing!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
isnt it funny how they put out the bat signal, so I come.. and i EVEN bring you, my trusty sidekick.
And this is how they repay me?

No love.

pauldh

Illustrious
So for $300, would you say <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21977" target="_new">2 plain GF6600's in SLI</A> is a better option than an X800XL? IMO, that(6600 SLI)is an absolute waste. What's the point? Anyway, just wanted to catch you before you headed back to the cave to mess with drivers and profiles. :smile:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
no no no, i only said what was said.

i think ANY SLI capable card is a good thing. you dont have to add a 2nd card, but since pretty much everyone uses a NF4 these days.. the card you put in there, no matter what it is.. should be SLI capable.

my statement on 6600SLI is that I personally wouldnt do it myself. But its a nice option for someone who might have a reason for such a setup. I'm not going to brainstorm for that situation.. but it leaves another open option that ATI cards do not have.

Popping in one 6600 though, and having that window open to use SLI is a huge and great benefit to using a 6600 though.

I think NV should make their entire lineup SLI capable, even 6200s. What would it hurt?
Other than have you aTI fanboys bashing on how "bad" 6200 SLI is.. but who cares? Its better than the 9200 with NO SLI capability.

cleeve

Illustrious
and i'm 99% sure cleeve would give his left nut to put ATI in 1st place every gen.
lol. The only thing I'd give my left nut for is to see you to stop being such a corporate lackey. let's look at the stats shall we?

Geforce 2 VS Radeon generation: The forum unanimously declares the Geforce2 better, because it was. Where's Kinney?

Geforce 4 Ti VS Radeon 8500 generation: The forum unanimously declares the Geforce4 ti better, because it was. Where's Kinney?

Radeon 9700 PRO > GeforceFX generation:
The forum unanimously declares the 9700 PRO better, because it is. Kinney fights to the death for the FX, this forum calls it like it is, a POS.

The 6600GT and 6800GT show up; this forum hails them as best in class, Kinney calls everyone a fanboy for not saying Ati is a bad company while recommending them. (???)

The X800 vanilla and X800 XL show up: this forum hails them as the new best-in-class, Kinney suggests everyone buy more expensive hardware for fewer frames per second because of a feature that is, for right now and for another 12 months, completely useless.

(unless you have far Cry and a dual-6800 ultra setup, because that's the only way SM 3.0 HDR lighting is playable. gee, how useful is SM 3.0 in the 6xxx series if you need two top-of-the-line SLI'd cards to use it? You're going to have to buy next-gen to get any real use out of SM 3.0, by the looks of it, because this gen can't cut it.)

Hmmmm... yeah, I think that about covers it. The next time nvidia brings out superior hardware at those price points I'll be backing them, (hell, I still do in the segments they rule... like the ~$300 AGP segment) not whining that Ati is still better because a company's percieved market dominance is not a benchmark for my own self worth.

Who'd give their left nut for a company's hardware superiority, Kinney? Given your track record you're kind of hard to take seriously.

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
a direct attack from cleeve on muah???
if im a corporate lackey, you must be ati's corporate b!tch.
either way, you neglected to point out that up until the R300, Nvidia dominated ATi like a little ho. The competition was 3dfx.

this r520 launch of the real truth, if it is great then R300 wasnt ATI's ArtX lucky shot at 15minutes of fame.

a bit twisting on the facts, for one the 9700 pro didnt have any DX9 games anyway. even the "horrible" 5800ultra didnt do bad at DX8 games (the games available at release)

but see, DX9C doesnt matter, but good DX9 performance back then was like "ooh ahhh"
shoe goes on the other foot, and watch the masses cater to ATI

to many ATI fanboys were created during the R300 years.. its a shame how long its taken people to wake up and realize ATI was a one shot flop. they STILL dont have their drivers up to par.
now that Nvidia has been owning ATI this gen, everyones like I'M IMPARTIAL.. while at the same time attempting valiantly (but unsuccessfully) to convince everyone ATI is still on top.

Sorry, but the masses have spoken. NV40 and SLI brought down the house on ATI.

Everyones running Nforce4s and the top systems are powered by SLI.
Maybe not here in BFE, but this place is like that movie you like to play with your mosquito penis while watching.. "Deliverance" right? :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
For sure Nvidia dominated Ati. If you want to call Ati terms "like a little ho" to make you feel better about yourself and cour corporate sponsorship, go to town.
You can call them bitch, whore, whatever. you see, I don't take it personally... it doesn't really have any bearing on my life.

Geforce2 > Radeon, Geforce4Ti > 8500, you see I can say those things without putting down Nvidia because I don't think any of these companies have any relation to my self image.

If you're talking tech however, you should smarten up and realize that the time to defend the failed geforceFX experiment is gone and done. A 9700 PRO can play Doom3 and half Life 2 today, wheras a GeforceFX 5800 can't. Plain and simple... defend that.
So all those guys you told were stupid for buying Ati back then because they'd get no longevity out of their cards made a much better investment than they would have if they'd have gone Nvidia. This isn't anything against Nvidia mind you, it's simply a fact. And a testament to your inability to call a spade a spade.

If Nvidia wants to buy a small company like ArtX and give us better hardware, I certainly don't begrudge them. I applaud them. Go to town Nvidia. Go to town, Ati. Hell, go to town S3, if you make the best hardware I'm onboard.

"the masses have spoken" Lol. The masses have SLI now? Where are you getting those numbers, sport? The depths of the imagination?

SLI rigs can do nifty things, but saying the masses have them is pure SLInvidiot fantasy.

The funniest part will be watching you go silent on the boards when the next Ati card is released, and then watching you come back a few months later when Nvidia releases their next card so you can claim Ati never did anything right and never made anything worth buying in your absence.

P.S. If you really want is to talk about my cock, I think you're on the wrong forum. I'm not into the "deliverance" thing like you are, but I'll send pictures of it if you have enough cash. :smile:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
first of all

Kinney, according to the mighty Valve, 9800pros are the most used graphics card right now, Ti4200 era is over :p

second, how come nobody likes XGI :(

also, 5800Ultra is the most innovative video card in history so far, bring me a ATi card that can be used as a dust blower, heater, hair dryer AND a BBQ, and you can tell me 9700pro is better.

On a serious note, ATi VS nVidia, poof this debate has gone on for years, ever since ATi started making somewhat of a competition with nVidia. Is this going anywhere? NO cause Intel is still owning the market eyes closed. :D
nothing will be solved when R520 comes out
cause its just next gen flame war all over again. Who's excited about R600? :D

PS. I treat SLi as dirty marketing tactics, same with whatever ATi is going to put out, so they both suck :p

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
9700 PRO can play Doom3 and half Life 2 today, wheras a GeforceFX 5800 can't. Plain and simple... defend that.
So all those guys you told were stupid for buying Ati back then because they'd get no longevity out of their cards made a much better investment than they would have if they'd have gone Nvidia.
Sure I'll defend that.
You just illustrated the mind of a ATI fanboy for everyone.
Back then everyone was like "BUY ATI FOR DX9 HARDWARE, IT WILL LAST LONGER!!" and no one knew that it would turn out like it did.. no one!
And still today, the outlook is just as good on SM3/DX9C and you do not give the NV40 the benefit of the doubt for that.

So here YOU are, telling guys not to buy a GF6 because it wont have the longevity in DX9C performance.. but you were willing to give ATI the benefit of the doubt.
How telling and twisted the tale becomes!

the masses have spoken" Lol. The masses have SLI now? Where are you getting those numbers, sport? The depths of the imagination?

SLI rigs can do nifty things, but saying the masses have them is pure SLInvidiot fantasy.

I never said the masses have it. I dont care if they do.. I'd rather they dont, so that I dominate more.
What I said was that SLI is a breakthrough success, against all odds and against all the fanboys like yourself who attempt to downplay it as well as they can. But thats aweful hard when looking at the results, and seeing ATI endorse SM3/SLI, hence everyone kinda gives up on that one.

But the masses have approved it, nothing pulls the performance SLI does. For instance, in 1900x1200 (which high end rigs that most SLI is installed uses), or 20x15.. ONLY SLI can push in latest games with any level of AA/AF.
Thats where the advantages lie.. and this is because it is so powerful.
IMO, its like having a next-gen card.. today.

No, its not for the masses with 17" CRTs. But having the possibility of adding another 6600/6800GT is a great advantage and choice to have available.

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
didnt i own you on this the other day

SLI/AMR is not dirty marketing to get ppl to buy 2 cards instead of 1
it only cost Nvidia millions of dollars to develop, including a motherboard/driver/video cards that all supported it.. then they had to get ppl interested enough to buy their boards AND video cards.. quite a task and HUGE risk.

but they did it, the masses approve. everyones running a NF4 and most peeps have GF6 this gen.
X800xl is too little, too late. anyone who was going to buy this gen, more than likely already did.

that evil nvidia.. they invest millions in development and new risky product launches not only including new video cards and drivers, but a whole NF4 platform to support it.. and I get the highest gaming performance money can buy..

BASTARDS!!!!

cleeve

Illustrious
Back then everyone was like "BUY ATI FOR DX9 HARDWARE, IT WILL LAST LONGER!!" and no one knew that it would turn out like it did.. no one!
Lol. EVERYIONE saw the writing on the wall. EVERYONE saw the FX architecture couldn't go toe to toe with R3xx.
Except Nvidia fanboys who couldn't see past their own prejudice.

And still today, the outlook is just as good on SM3/DX9C and you do not give the NV40 the benefit of the doubt for that.
I disagree. Not only is the difference between DX9 and 9c smaller than Dx8 and Dx9, but Far Cry proves that 6xxx hardware is not up to the task... in a CURRENT title. What happenas when next gen titles come out?

At the end of the day, keep telling yourself Ati sucks. The fact is sooner or later they will inevitably get the upper hand again. And Nvidia after that.

Claiming they suck really does nothing to change that.

I feel sorry for you. It must be horrible to link your own feelings to a company's hardware so much it actually makes you feel mad if anyone does better.

GAME

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005
Lol. EVERYIONE saw the writing on the wall. EVERYONE saw the FX architecture couldn't go toe to toe with R3xx.
Except Nvidia fanboys who couldn't see past their own prejudice.
You are starting to catch on and smell your own hypocrisy.
You can't see through your own prejudice today yourself.

I disagree. Not only is the difference between DX9 and 9c smaller than Dx8 and Dx9, but Far Cry proves that 6xxx hardware is not up to the task... in a CURRENT title. What happenas when next gen titles come out?
Of course you would!
DX9C is what MS wanted the original DX9 to be! But it was influenced by ATI not to be. Nv missed out on alot of the DX9 spec talks.
I'd rather have the full DX9C, which will be spec until WGF/longhorn is launched.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Remember that!

cleeve

Illustrious
OK, Kinney. In my humble opinion you're not only full of it, but you're becoming a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

But there's a simple test to see who'se the fanboy:

I've recommended Geforces to many users on this forum for years, from the Geforce3 to Ti4200 to the 6xxx series. Still do, still will for some time.

The cards I've recommended most are 6600GT's and 6800GTs.

How many people have you recommended X800 based cards to in the past 2 years? Because I can't remember any really.

Or is it your opinion that the entire X800 series has never been worth recommending to anyone?

Is it your opinion that I'm fronting by recommending all these 6600GTs and 6800GTs, to hide the fact that I'm an Nvidia hater?

Because from where I'm sitting, it seems you're so delusionally fanboyish that you have lost all perspective.