Is it legal to sell the OEM Version of Windows XP Home Edi..

Grüezi NGUs

Few days ago I bought a copy of "Windows XP Home Edition Update". Now I
realized that they gave me a OEM version of Windows XP Home.

Now my question

Is it legal to sell only the unbundled OEM copy, if I explicity asked for
Windows XP Home Update?. The reseller told me that nothing is illegal by
selling unbundled OEM versions of Windows XP.

Does anybody know if this deal was legal.

Best Regards from the sunny Switzerland
Roger Rigert
6 answers Last reply
More about legal sell version windows home

    "Roger Rigert" <Roger Rigert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Grüezi NGUs
    >
    > Few days ago I bought a copy of "Windows XP Home Edition Update". Now I
    > realized that they gave me a OEM version of Windows XP Home.
    >
    > Now my question
    >
    > Is it legal to sell only the unbundled OEM copy, if I explicity asked for
    > Windows XP Home Update?. The reseller told me that nothing is illegal by
    > selling unbundled OEM versions of Windows XP.
    >
    > Does anybody know if this deal was legal.
    >
    > Best Regards from the sunny Switzerland
    > Roger Rigert

    Not sure about Microsoft's policy in Switzerland. In Canada it is OK to sell
    an OEM version of XP with a qualifying piece of hardware. I asked a MS rep
    what qualified. Her response was anything integral to the pc so Windows
    would run, eg. motherboard, mouse, keyboard, ram chip. Things she explicitly
    excluded were a monitor or printer. An OEM version cannot be used for an in
    place upgrade from an older version of Windows. You have to format the hard
    drive before it will install. An OEM version is typically about half the
    price of a retail upgrade.

    Kerry

    no it is not legal to sell it without hardware. Not quite sure what you
    mean by Windows XP Home Edition Update do you mean the Upgrade version?
    THis would mean you had either Win98 or ME installed and wanted to
    upgrade to Xp Home?

    It is also possible that you paid more than you needed to? I am not
    sure how pricing is where you are?

    Wayne

    Roger Rigert wrote:

    > Grüezi NGUs
    >
    > Few days ago I bought a copy of "Windows XP Home Edition Update". Now
    > I realized that they gave me a OEM version of Windows XP Home.
    >
    > Now my question
    >
    > Is it legal to sell only the unbundled OEM copy, if I explicity asked
    > for Windows XP Home Update?. The reseller told me that nothing is
    > illegal by selling unbundled OEM versions of Windows XP.
    >
    > Does anybody know if this deal was legal.
    >
    > Best Regards from the sunny Switzerland
    > Roger Rigert

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 05:31:02 -0700, Roger Rigert <Roger
    Rigert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Grüezi NGUs
    >
    >Few days ago I bought a copy of "Windows XP Home Edition Update". Now I
    >realized that they gave me a OEM version of Windows XP Home.
    >
    >Now my question
    >
    >Is it legal to sell only the unbundled OEM copy, if I explicity asked for
    >Windows XP Home Update?. The reseller told me that nothing is illegal by
    >selling unbundled OEM versions of Windows XP.
    >
    >Does anybody know if this deal was legal.
    >
    >Best Regards from the sunny Switzerland
    >Roger Rigert

    It is legal, and well within the OEM Windows XP Home Edition EULA, to
    purchase and install the OEM Edition with an item of "hardware". This
    "hardware" could be as simple and cheap as a power chord or mouse.

    However, you must know several things about OEM software:
    1) All support for your software must come from the OEM who sold you
    the software. Microsoft will not provide any support.
    2) OEM software cannot be used to perform an "Upgrade" of another
    operating system. It MUST be installed "cleanly", onto a
    freshly-formatted hard drive. It is possible to save your disk
    structure, however. Just do a "Repair" install instead of a "New"
    Install.
    3) You will not be guaranteed an Internet activation, since Microsoft
    has tightened its Internet activations to exclude possible pirated
    keys. You might wind up on the phone with a hostile Activation
    Support person who can barely speak or understand English. They will
    ask you all sorts of invasive questions, such as the address of the
    store where you bought the software.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that others may be instructed or informed

    > Not sure about Microsoft's policy in Switzerland. In Canada it is OK to sell
    > an OEM version of XP with a qualifying piece of hardware. I asked a MS rep
    > what qualified. Her response was anything integral to the pc so Windows
    > would run, eg. motherboard, mouse, keyboard, ram chip. Things she explicitly
    > excluded were a monitor or printer.

    I emailed Microsoft here in Australia about a year ago to clarify this
    issue, and here is part of their email reply:

    > OEM versions of Microsoft Windows may be sold with a
    > non-peripheral piece of computer hardware. A non-peripheral
    > hardware component is essential to running a PC, and
    > includes components such as memory, internal drives,
    > mice, keyboards, power supplies/cords, and internal
    > devices. Examples of components that are not considered
    > essential are scanners, printers, cameras, and external
    > modems/networking devices.

    Note that according to Microsoft Australia, a power cord is an allowable
    hardware item for an OEM sale!

    Peter

    Pete wrote:

    > I emailed Microsoft here in Australia about a year ago to clarify this
    > issue, and here is part of their email reply:
    >
    > > OEM versions of Microsoft Windows may be sold with a
    > > non-peripheral piece of computer hardware. A non-peripheral
    > > hardware component is essential to running a PC, and
    > > includes components such as memory, internal drives,
    > > mice, keyboards, power supplies/cords, and internal
    > > devices. Examples of components that are not considered
    > > essential are scanners, printers, cameras, and external
    > > modems/networking devices.
    >
    > Note that according to Microsoft Australia, a power cord is an allowable
    > hardware item for an OEM sale!
    >
    > Peter

    Well, yes. Computers just don't work very well when there's no
    electricity. What I find curious,though, is the inclusion of the mouse.
    One would have to be fairly new to computers to think that a mouse is
    "essential" to the running of a computer. Granted, it makes it much
    more convenient when using a graphical shell or OS, but it's hardly
    essential.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
    > Pete wrote:
    >

    >> I emailed Microsoft here in Australia about a year ago to clarify this
    >> issue, and here is part of their email reply:
    >>
    >> > OEM versions of Microsoft Windows may be sold with a
    >> > non-peripheral piece of computer hardware. A non-peripheral
    >> > hardware component is essential to running a PC, and
    >> > includes components such as memory, internal drives,
    >> > mice, keyboards, power supplies/cords, and internal
    >> > devices. Examples of components that are not considered
    >> > essential are scanners, printers, cameras, and external
    >> > modems/networking devices.
    >>
    >> Note that according to Microsoft Australia, a power cord is an allowable
    >> hardware item for an OEM sale!
    >>
    >> Peter
    >

    > Well, yes. Computers just don't work very well when there's no
    > electricity. What I find curious,though, is the inclusion of the mouse.
    > One would have to be fairly new to computers to think that a mouse is
    > "essential" to the running of a computer. Granted, it makes it much more
    > convenient when using a graphical shell or OS, but it's hardly essential.

    What I found very odd was the MS rep I talked to said a mouse was OK but a
    monitor was not. I can use Windows without a mouse, albeit very awkwardly,
    but a monitor is required :-)

    Kerry

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers