TECH: Megatouch Boot Issues...

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all,

This is my first Megatouch so I am just learning, though I know my way
around a PC.

Turns out the darn thing had a noisy, DIRTY CPU fan, and that meant
basically taking the entire thing apart to get at it and clean it.
Real fun.

Well, the thing worked fine BEFORE I took it apart, now I get the
following when I turn it on from the speaker: Pop, pa-pop, Pop, pa-pop,
Pop, pa-pop, over and over again. That's it. No video. Doesn't sound
like it's loading.

I must have messed SOMETHING up but does anyone know what would cause
this? I was careful with the parts, though I did have to remove the
CPU when I was cleaning the fan -- Could putting the CPU back in the
wrong position cause this? I did notice the board isn't very clear
about which way the chip goes, and there's more holes than pins. So it
wasn't straight forward.

Anyway, if you can PLEASE HELP! I am trying to get this thing ready
for a party this weekend. Oh, one last thing, i DO have one of the
case fans disconnected now, as I took it apart and am trying to build a
connector for the new one I got (that came with bare wires, wonderful).
Need parts. Would not having both case fans hooked up cause such an
error?

Thanks for any assistance! The tech docs weren't a lot of help at
Merit's site.

Brad

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just realized that I may have fried the CPU and/or motherboard. A
friend reminded me that those old CPUs are sensitive and can fry when
you put them in the wrong way. I take full repsonsibility for not
noticing which way the chip sits in the motherboard, the orientation.

Can anyone who has the Telco 486 motherboard tell me the orientation of
the chip? As I face the board, with the power connectors at the top
and the CPU towards the lower right corner, how should the cpu label be
facing? I assume horizontally readable...And I am sure that by now I
have put that chip in and turned the unit on with the chip in every
which way, so if that could cause the chip or motherboard to fry, I
have likely done that.

So my next step is, are replacement CPUs cheap and easy to come by? I
know the motherboard is tougher, but I'd like to start with just the
chip.

Anyone know what is more than likely to have broke as a result of
powering on with the CPU in the wrong position?

Thanks...

Brad

Brad look for a notch on the corner of the cpu chip or a white dot.
Look at the motherboard cpu socket and find the matching notch OR some
other indication silk screened onto the board itself. Sometimes it will
actually have a "1" printed at one corner to indicate pin 1. Look at
the sockets inside rows of holes too and look for what makes the socket
different at one specific corner. Compare it to the cpu and line 'em
up.
Per your other inquiry, no, there is no substitute for an AMD cpu. The
motherboards are dsigned to work with one or the other, amd or intel.
Now back in the 486 days there were boards that could be jumpered for
either cpu but I'm not sure at all if this is the case with Telco
boards.

Good luck and watch ebay for boards and old cpu's!
Cliffy
A passion for pinball!
www.passionforpinball.com

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Cliffy,

The chip does have a notch in it. The socket also has a line of
numbers on the board across the bottom 1 thru 19. 1 is in the lower
right corner as I look at the board. So would that be where the
notched side of the chip goes? I noticed there's also 4 holes filled
in the socket in that corner, but in no other corners of the socket
(all holes are open there, there's actually extra).

I just want to be SURE that I don't put the replacement chip in the
wrong way too!!!!!

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Believe it or not, even without bent pins, the AMD 486 chip and telco
board allow the chip to go in straight, 4 different ways.

Think I at least know the proper way to put it in now when I get a new
chip. :)

Brad

Which version? There were quite a few Megatouch versions out there.

Bill

"Brad" <bplevyak@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1122398747.546776.254990
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I just want to be SURE that I don't put the replacement chip in the
> wrong way too!!!!!

486 chips only go in one way, so unless you forced it when you replaced
it, it should be okay. Take it back out and examine the pins. Are they
bent? If not, you put it in right.

Take out the Megatouch board and see if it boots that way. Also, before
booting, make sure the RAM chips are seated correctly.

--
Do you want a free iPod?
http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431

"Brad" <bplevyak@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1122433826.449918.118130
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Believe it or not, even without bent pins, the AMD 486 chip and telco
> board allow the chip to go in straight, 4 different ways.

That's wacky. Must have used a socket that has pins all the way around,
instead of having a space where they're notched.

--
Do you want a free iPod?
http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431

TRENDING THREADS