Dig Dug PROM chips interchanging tween A & B revisions

Anyone know for sure if any or all of the PROMs can
be interchanged between the two Dig Dug board revisions
(A & B). The part #s seem to be different (from what
I have so seen and researched so far, since I can't get
my two boards side by side yet).

For example, on a B board there are PROMs 201, 202, 203
and 204, while an A board has those as 101, etc. Should
I assume these are the same chips and code, just later
part #s? One of the post I found suggested these PROMs
in particular should be interchangable. However, I
tried swapping 101/201, 102/202 and 104/204 and got
ROM errors (big assumption on my part that the PROMs
were good, since they were new burns, but test fine
compared to original code).

Scott C.

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

there would be minor changes in the roms and that will effect the checksums.
You would have to modify the checksums to mix the roms up, but just use all
of the same program set and you will be right
"Scott Caldwell" <lscottcaldwell@excite.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know for sure if any or all of the PROMs can
> be interchanged between the two Dig Dug board revisions
> (A & B). The part #s seem to be different (from what
> I have so seen and researched so far, since I can't get
> my two boards side by side yet).
>
> For example, on a B board there are PROMs 201, 202, 203
> and 204, while an A board has those as 101, etc. Should
> I assume these are the same chips and code, just later
> part #s? One of the post I found suggested these PROMs
> in particular should be interchangable. However, I
> tried swapping 101/201, 102/202 and 104/204 and got
> ROM errors (big assumption on my part that the PROMs
> were good, since they were new burns, but test fine
> compared to original code).
>
> Scott C.

Yeh, there's the rub. The 3 PROMs I'm trying to
changeout are for the Free Play mod (101, 102 and
104), but my B just doesn't like them. I put them
into MAME and it plays fine, but MAME does
complain about the CRCs being wrong (of course).

Scott C.

VaxX wrote:
> there would be minor changes in the roms and that will effect the checksums.
> You would have to modify the checksums to mix the roms up, but just use all
> of the same program set and you will be right
> "Scott Caldwell" <lscottcaldwell@excite.com> wrote in message
>
>>Anyone know for sure if any or all of the PROMs can
>>be interchanged between the two Dig Dug board revisions
>>(A & B). The part #s seem to be different (from what
>>I have so seen and researched so far, since I can't get
>>my two boards side by side yet).
>>
>>For example, on a B board there are PROMs 201, 202, 203
>>and 204, while an A board has those as 101, etc. Should
>>I assume these are the same chips and code, just later
>>part #s? One of the post I found suggested these PROMs
>>in particular should be interchangable. However, I
>>tried swapping 101/201, 102/202 and 104/204 and got
>>ROM errors (big assumption on my part that the PROMs
>>were good, since they were new burns, but test fine
>>compared to original code).
>>
>>Scott C.

I just took a look at the code and there are significant differences
between those versions (not just patched code), so mixing
program ROMs is out of the question. At some point the code
will jump to lala land and the watchdog will reset.
The six programs ROMs (four for CPU1 and two for CPU2)
need to be from the same set.

Matt

"Scott Caldwell" <lscottcaldwell@excite.com> wrote in message news:B9uFe.620$IH2.600@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...
> Yeh, there's the rub. The 3 PROMs I'm trying to
> changeout are for the Free Play mod (101, 102 and
> 104), but my B just doesn't like them. I put them
> into MAME and it plays fine, but MAME does
> complain about the CRCs being wrong (of course).
>
> Scott C.
>
> VaxX wrote:
>> there would be minor changes in the roms and that will effect the checksums.
>> You would have to modify the checksums to mix the roms up, but just use all
>> of the same program set and you will be right
>> "Scott Caldwell" <lscottcaldwell@excite.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Anyone know for sure if any or all of the PROMs can
>>>be interchanged between the two Dig Dug board revisions
>>>(A & B). The part #s seem to be different (from what
>>>I have so seen and researched so far, since I can't get
>>>my two boards side by side yet).
>>>
>>>For example, on a B board there are PROMs 201, 202, 203
>>>and 204, while an A board has those as 101, etc. Should
>>>I assume these are the same chips and code, just later
>>>part #s? One of the post I found suggested these PROMs
>>>in particular should be interchangable. However, I
>>>tried swapping 101/201, 102/202 and 104/204 and got
>>>ROM errors (big assumption on my part that the PROMs
>>>were good, since they were new burns, but test fine
>>>compared to original code).
>>>
>>>Scott C.

Matt, thanks for the info. It's clear then that the
Free Play mod will need to be made for each different
ROM set then, for each to work correctly. I'll pull
out my A board and verify it does actually work there,
like it does in MAME, and keep an eye out for a set
of Free Play ROMs for the B version.

Scott C.

Matt Osborn wrote:
> I just took a look at the code and there are significant differences
> between those versions (not just patched code), so mixing
> program ROMs is out of the question. At some point the code
> will jump to lala land and the watchdog will reset.
> The six programs ROMs (four for CPU1 and two for CPU2)
> need to be from the same set.
>
> Matt
>
> "Scott Caldwell" <lscottcaldwell@excite.com> wrote in message news:B9uFe.620$IH2.600@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...
>
>>Yeh, there's the rub. The 3 PROMs I'm trying to
>>changeout are for the Free Play mod (101, 102 and
>>104), but my B just doesn't like them. I put them
>>into MAME and it plays fine, but MAME does
>>complain about the CRCs being wrong (of course).
>>
>>Scott C.
>>
>>VaxX wrote:
>>
>>>there would be minor changes in the roms and that will effect the checksums.
>>>You would have to modify the checksums to mix the roms up, but just use all
>>>of the same program set and you will be right
>>>"Scott Caldwell" <lscottcaldwell@excite.com> wrote in message

So you can't just burn an "A" set to replace the
"B" that is on the board now? Is the software rev
somehow tied to hardware? Typically it's not....

Matt

TRENDING THREADS