Autoexfg.nt error trying to install new software

I'm trying to install a scanner ,but get the following error message.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXFG.NT "The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications" What can I do?

Hi rjsahl,

I've never heard of a file named AUTOEXFG.NT Are you certain that it's not
AUTOEXEC.NT or CONFIG.NT?
Have a look at the information here, provided courtesy of Kelly Theriot:

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"rjsahl" <rjsahl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install a scanner ,but get the following error message.
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXFG.NT "The system file is not suitable for
running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications" What can I do?

Seems to be an epidemic lately....

This can be caused by a trojan.

Get rid of the trojan.

Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

Read-only
[[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
changed or accidentally deleted.]]

1. Right click the file.
2. Properties.
3. Select: ? Read-only.
4. Click: Apply.
5. Click: OK.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:918C251C-048C-4D55-8901-B4DEB506582A@microsoft.com,
rjsahl <rjsahl@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I'm trying to install a scanner ,but get the following error message.
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXFG.NT "The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications" What can I do?

I used the information from kellys korner. It worked! Thank you.
Randy

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Seems to be an epidemic lately....
>
> This can be caused by a trojan.
>
> Get rid of the trojan.
>
> Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.
>
> Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
> And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.
>
> Read-only
> [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
> changed or accidentally deleted.]]
>
> 1. Right click the file.
> 2. Properties.
> 3. Select: Â? Read-only.
> 4. Click: Apply.
> 5. Click: OK.
>
> 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm
>
> MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>
> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
> program
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:918C251C-048C-4D55-8901-B4DEB506582A@microsoft.com,
> rjsahl <rjsahl@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I'm trying to install a scanner ,but get the following error message.
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXFG.NT "The system file is not suitable for
> > running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications" What can I do?

Glad to hear it, Randy.

Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.