Need laptop advice and/or suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bquake

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
1. What is your budget?

$800. I am willing to go up to $900 if the extra money is worth it.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

13-15 inches approx, willing to go up or down an inch.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Minimum of 1366x768, I have no problem going higher.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?

At least 6 hours of just documents and other school related stuff, no video games and such.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Nothing graphic intensive; League of Legends, World of Warcraft. Setting aren't too important, I just want a decent frames per second. I'll leave the high-end graphics to my desktop.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Video games, internet, documents, music, programming and all sorts of basic school work.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Minimum of 500GB.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

None in specific, just the well-known and popular sites like Newegg, Amazon, etc. Or possibly directly from the company's site like dell.com, hp.com, and etc.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I don't need any but a DVD ROM is always nice to have.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I had a Dell laptop (I think it was an XPS 15) that lasted 2 years but there was a flaw in the design where the laptop was extremely susceptible to overheating. However, I would be more than happy to buy from Dell again knowing that the laptop doesn't have a design flaw or anything of that sort again.

13. What country do you live in?

United States.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I need the laptop to keep relatively quiet during lectures. I'll be sticking directly to the internet, word documents and etc during lectures so I don't mind if the laptop gets loader during video games since I won't be playing any during class.

chad2625

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
So glad that no one has replied yet hehe I get the first word. I reviewed an HP G7z-2100 CTO laptop. I would say this about it, I play borderlands 2 at full settings and get 30 FPS doing so so for you it is a good bet. It has 2 GPU's one is a 7660G built into CPU, the other is a 7670M, the two GPU's run in a crossfire like set up so you get decent gaming performance, when you want it. With an extened battery you could about 5 or so hours out of it, more if you undervolt it. the best part of it is I paid $780 or so for mine, so you can spend the extra money you saved on nice ram and good Hard drive ect.
There are lot of pictues, of benchmarks. I am quite happy with mine, it simply out performs laptops in its price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.