gfx screwd only on first boot

thefunkeymonkey

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001
Every time i turn on my pc recently the graphics are screwd. There are lines and screen long blocks all over the place. But when i turn it off then on again, its fine.

When i go on my pc the next day, excatly the same happens.

sapphire radeon 9700
2000xp cpu
epox 8k3a+

Any recent hardware upgrades? Driver updates? Is your vid card OCed?

Like yellow lines?

I had to RMA a video card with bad on-board RAM, it was screwy like you said.

Also, in windows, it shows up in a screen shot!

I'll try to find it for you.

thefunkeymonkey

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001
Ive never oc'd it nor installed any drive updates recently.

Cheers ned, mine arnt colourd though, just lines that turn the colour darker. Like when windows is booting there are blocks of dark blue instead of the normal lighter blue you see. Ill see if it screen shots next time it happens, just turned on my puter now and it dident do it this time.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
daft question perhaps but have you tried a different screen ?? (try a CRT if your current one is a TFT eg)

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

cleeve

Illustrious
Unfortunately, it sounds like your card is dying, mate.

Hopefully it's a "built by Ati" 9700 so they'll fix it for free...

thefunkeymonkey

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001
Its a sapphire one, allways wounderd why they charge more for them built by ati cards, now i know.

The lines are close to whatever the colour should be that behind them, so when windows is loading up there blue, and when im looking at my desktop there my desktop colour.

Not sure about the monitor thing, is it works allright after a reboot, though recently its taken more reboots to work. Odd thing is though its still great for games.

I do know somthing thats wrong with my monitor cable though, one of the pins is bent so far out of place thats its taken up the position of a pin that fell out of the connecter long ago so the cable is loosely connected, lots of pins are missing, had this monitor a while but dont know how to go about replacing the connecter.

beetlebz

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
I think i would be pointing the finger at the monitor.

OTOH, sapphire cards are sub standard, by ATI standards anyway. they are great cards, dont get me wrong, but on occasion RMA's are necessary. Ive seen sapphires run overclocked so far you could cook an egg on it, with no artifacting!