Infinite Loop BDS error after installing Catalyst

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Hi everyone..now I got a serious problem
Tonight, I was trying to install Catalyst3.7 (cuz I want to play some old titles), after 5.1 is uninstalled, I tried to install 3.7, but I kept getting the error saying that I should install standard VGA driver first then run Setup.

After messing around, I got 3.7 installed, I start NFSU just to test, after 30sec, the game freezes. So I restart PC, now Windows refuses to boot propertly, it would freeze just before it gets into Windows. I tried to Uninstall 3.7, install 4.12, no luck Windows keep freezing, I used System Restore to get 5.1 back, no luck, Windows still crashes, I tried to install 5.3, same thing..

The thing is, after a few time of freezing, I noticed that HDD was still running, so I leave my pc running, but for about 2min, a Blue Death Screen would come up and telling me that <b>the driver is stuck into an infinite loop</b>and etc etc..

I haven't install a fresh Windows for quite longtime (cuz I got lazy to install windows now..)
but now I really don't know what to do,so I'm preparing to install a fresh Windows, before that, I would like to know if any of you has an idea of this issue?
Thanks in advance for taking your time.. :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you sure you're not having a problem with the chipset's AGP driver?

I had problems with Cat 3.7, went back to 3.6, then up to 3.8 with no more problems. Later I updated to 4.11 without problems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
To be honest, I don't know the reason behind this, cuz my computer has been running fine for a year and so, I updated to several version of Catalyst without troubles, it's the first time that happened, any version of Catalyst won't be installed. (well, installed, but causing crashes..)
If I'm having problem with AGP driver, what should I do?

note: I did google a bit, and I found out that some people go to Device Manager, and install the "PCI Standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" instead of the AGP driver that they installed, I did the same thing, (in my case, it's "nForce2 CPU to AGP controller" that I replaced with PCI Standard PCI-to-PC"I bridge. It allows me to go into Windows with Catalyst3.7 installed, but I can't change refresh rate or resolution, once I did it, it crashes again, given me another blue death screen.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Even with a fresh installation Windows didn't help
Finally, I found out that the nVidia's GART driver is causing problem, if I use the PCI Standard PCI-to-PCI bridge driver that comes with WindowsXP along with Catalyst 4.12, everything works fine..though, with some performance lose
I have no idea why nVIDIA's AGP driver isn't working, it seems like AGP driver is having conflict with Catalyst or Windows..
Any idea?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, actually that's an uncommon problem from the people I've spoken to.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>