After Repair, XP requires password. Never had one, can't l..

June 11, 2005 1:55:01 PM

Brief Description of Problem: After running XP repair to correct a problem
booting, my system is now requiring a password at log in. I have never used
a password before and all attempts to bypass the password field have failed.
I cannot log in to my computer.
Background and Description: I have a Dell Dimension 8200, 2.8 GHz, running
Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1. It had all of the updates for
Service Pack 1 installed.
The other day it had an error message that I did not take note of thinking
rebooting would solve the problem. However, the system would not reboot. It
would start to boot, get to the XP loading screen, then there would be a very
brief flash of a “blue screen� error message, and it was start attempting to
reboot again. Shutting the system off and trying again repeated the same
pattern as did attempting a Safe Mode start. After many views of the brief
glimpse of the “blue screen� message, it appeared it stated an error about
“unmountable_boot_value� or something similar.
I did a web search on that error and found suggestions to use the XP disk’s
“recovery option� feature and entering “chkdsk /r�. After doing this, I was
able to boot and get to the user account screen. However, I previously had
three unrestricted accounts set up for me, my wife, and my daughter using our
names. Now there was a fourth account showing, called “Guest�. When I hit
the account with my name, a pop-up asking for a password appeared. I have
never used a password for my or any log in on this computer before. My
attempts to log in by leaving the password screen blank or attempting to
enter passwords was met with a message stating “The local policy of this
system does not permit you to login interactively� or similar.
Using the XP disk, I ran the repair function. It went through the process
(though I did receive some error copying files messages) and, again, booted
fine to the Windows XP user account screen. But, as before, it was requiring
a password for all of the named accounts. Trying Safe Mode yielded the same
result.
I would appreciate advice on how to overcome this error in order to log in
to my system in order to save my data files.
Please post help or e-mail me at yahoo.com
My yahoo user name is sgt1965
Thanks!
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:11:44 PM

Restart in safe mode (f8)
Login to the administrator account
Go to control panel and reset the passwords for all users

"XP Password Pain" <XP Password Pain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:215B1BCC-F35B-4879-9BC5-DB7D991899A3@microsoft.com...
> Brief Description of Problem: After running XP repair to correct a
> problem
> booting, my system is now requiring a password at log in. I have never
> used
> a password before and all attempts to bypass the password field have
> failed.
> I cannot log in to my computer.
> Background and Description: I have a Dell Dimension 8200, 2.8 GHz,
> running
> Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1. It had all of the updates for
> Service Pack 1 installed.
> The other day it had an error message that I did not take note of thinking
> rebooting would solve the problem. However, the system would not reboot.
> It
> would start to boot, get to the XP loading screen, then there would be a
> very
> brief flash of a "blue screen" error message, and it was start attempting
> reboot again. Shutting the system off and trying again repeated the same
> pattern as did attempting a Safe Mode start. After many views of the
> brief
> glimpse of the "blue screen" message, it appeared it stated an error about
> "unmountable_boot_value" or something similar.
> I did a web search on that error and found suggestions to use the XP disk's
> "recovery option" feature and entering "chkdsk /r". After doing this, I
> was
> able to boot and get to the user account screen. However, I previously
> had
> three unrestricted accounts set up for me, my wife, and my daughter using
> our
> names. Now there was a fourth account showing, called "Guest". When I
> hit
> the account with my name, a pop-up asking for a password appeared. I have
> never used a password for my or any log in on this computer before. My
> attempts to log in by leaving the password screen blank or attempting to
> enter passwords was met with a message stating "The local policy of this
> system does not permit you to login interactively" or similar.
> Using the XP disk, I ran the repair function. It went through the process
> (though I did receive some error copying files messages) and, again,
> booted
> fine to the Windows XP user account screen. But, as before, it was
> requiring
> a password for all of the named accounts. Trying Safe Mode yielded the
> same
> result.
> I would appreciate advice on how to overcome this error in order to log in
> to my system in order to save my data files.
> Please post help or e-mail me at yahoo.com
> My yahoo user name is sgt1965
> Thanks!

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:01:02 PM

When I start in Safe Mode, I get an "Administrator" log in button (in
addition to the three I have for me and two other users). I no longer see
the "Guest" button. Unfortunately, when hitting the "Administrator" log in,
I am still asked for a password. When I try to log in without one, I recieve
the message: "The local policy of this system does not permit you to login
interactively". So, without being able to log in, I can't get to the control
panel. I have never used or had login passwords before and can't understand
why the system is prompting me for them now. Is there some hidden Windows XP
default password it is seeking?? Any ideas welcome!

"Dennis Marks" wrote:

> [...]
> > never used a password for my or any log in on this computer before. My
> > attempts to log in by leaving the password screen blank or attempting to
> > enter passwords was met with a message stating "The local policy of this
> > system does not permit you to login interactively" or similar.
> > Using the XP disk, I ran the repair function. It went through the process
> > (though I did receive some error copying files messages) and, again,
> > booted
> > fine to the Windows XP user account screen. But, as before, it was
> > requiring
> > a password for all of the named accounts. Trying Safe Mode yielded the
> > same
> > result.
> > I would appreciate advice on how to overcome this error in order to log in
> > to my system in order to save my data files.

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 12:28:31 PM

The error message has something to do with a server. Look for the error
message "The local policy of this system does not permit you to login
interactively" on Google for possible solutions.

"XP Password Pain" <XPPasswordPain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:683C4C2A-3CB6-4C98-85B7-6442DBF01423@microsoft.com...

!