WindowsUpdate not working

Hiya,
Trying to get windows update to work, but it doesn’t start downloading
(it tried and then just closes or hangs up). Background Intelligent
Transfers won’t start up, and there are lots of things in event viewer
with MsiInstaller and DCOM. Really don’t understand what has gone
wrong or how to fix it.
(Currently running XP with SP2, I can provide further information if
told what is needed)

Thanks!
SarahJ

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-WindowsUpdate-working-ftopict544781.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1719677
5 answers Last reply
More about windowsupdate working

    "SarahJ" wrote:
    > Hiya,
    > Trying to get windows update to work, but it doesn't start
    > downloading (it tried and then just closes or hangs up).
    > Background Intelligent Transfers won't start up, and there are
    > lots of things in event viewer with MsiInstaller and DCOM.
    > Really don't understand what has gone wrong or how to fix it.
    > (Currently running XP with SP2, I can provide further
    > information if told what is needed)
    >
    > Thanks!
    > SarahJ

    Please check that windows update service is running properly.

    "alikhani" wrote:
    > Please check that windows update service is running properly.

    Automatic updates is running in services, and it is on in the Windows
    Security Centre. I did have it set up to notify me then download, but
    when you selected download, it didn’t seem to do anything, and then
    later on that day or the next it would come up again saying that
    updates were available. It is currently set up to do everything
    automatically. Looking on the windows update website, at the
    installation history, it has the two updates listed numerous times
    with ’failed’ and an error code of 80246008. Looking on the site for
    help I’ve done the things it suggests, but still no joy.
    Thanks,
    SarahJ

    "SarahJ" wrote:
    > Automatic updates is running in services, and it is on in the
    > Windows Security Centre. I did have it set up to notify me
    > then download, but when you selected download, it didn't seem
    > to do anything, and then later on that day or the next it
    > would come up again saying that updates were available. It is
    > currently set up to do everything automatically. Looking on
    > the windows update website, at the installation history, it
    > has the two updates listed numerous times with 'failed' and an
    > error code of 80246008. Looking on the site for help I've done
    > the things it suggests, but still no joy.
    > Thanks,
    > SarahJ

    Are you saying: There are "critical" updates for your Windows
    version (critical & NOT just optional or recommended) but that
    Automatic Updates never runs or shows up??

    Or, you do see Automatic Updates run, but it gives you an "Error" ?

    What are your settings for Automatic Updates? to notify or not notify?
    to automatically download ?

    IF Windows XP:
    You must make sure these Win XP services are enabled and running:

    Automatic Updates
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
    Cryptographic Services
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    System Restore Service

    Go to Start menu >Run > MSCONFIG <enter>
    Click on the "Services" Tab & review these services. They should
    have a green "tick/check" mark on left; and status "Running" on
    the far right.

    "alikhani" wrote:
    > Are you saying: There are "critical" updates for your Windows
    > version (critical & NOT just optional or recommended) but
    > that Automatic Updates never runs or shows up??
    >
    > Or, you do see Automatic Updates run, but it gives you an
    > "Error" ?
    >
    > What are your settings for Automatic Updates? to notify or not
    > notify? to automatically download ?
    >
    > IF Windows XP:
    > You must make sure these Win XP services are enabled and
    > running:
    >
    > Automatic Updates
    > Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
    > Cryptographic Services
    > Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    > System Restore Service
    >
    > Go to Start menu >Run > MSCONFIG <enter>
    > Click on the "Services" Tab & review these services. They
    > should have a green "tick/check" mark on left; and status
    > "Running" on the far right.

    Hiya, Sorry for the lack of clarity.

    When Windows Update is in the ’notify for downloads/installation’ it
    appears and says that there are two ’High Priority’ updates available.
    If I then click to download/update the symbol appears by the clock
    (down in the RHS of the toolbar) and then disappears. Later the
    Window’s update appears again, saying that the same two updates are
    still to be downloaded/installed. An error message never pops up
    though.

    If on automatic (which it currently is) then I assume it tries to do
    it in the background, but again an error message doesn’t ever appear.
    Looking on the windows update webpage in the section where you can see

    The services that you mention, all are running apart from Background
    Intelligent Service. It is currently on automatic (looking at
    services.msc) but stopped. When I try to start it then it comes up
    with an error message
    ’Windows could not start this on the local computer, service specific
    error -2147024894’

    Thanks,
    Sarah

    I have exactly the same problem, and am very interested to know what the fix
    is. I've tried re-registering the different recommended dlls, but BIT just
    will not start. I had to manually download Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1,
    and all the critical updates that have not been installed. (running XP Home
    edition)

    SarahJ wrote:
    > > Are you saying: There are "critical" updates for your Windows
    > > version (critical & NOT just optional or recommended) but
    >[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
    > > should have a green "tick/check" mark on left; and status
    > > "Running" on the far right.
    >
    >Hiya, Sorry for the lack of clarity.
    >
    >When Windows Update is in the ’notify for downloads/installation’ it
    >appears and says that there are two ’High Priority’ updates available.
    >If I then click to download/update the symbol appears by the clock
    >(down in the RHS of the toolbar) and then disappears. Later the
    >Window’s update appears again, saying that the same two updates are
    >still to be downloaded/installed. An error message never pops up
    >though.
    >
    >If on automatic (which it currently is) then I assume it tries to do
    >it in the background, but again an error message doesn’t ever appear.
    >Looking on the windows update webpage in the section where you can see
    >
    >The services that you mention, all are running apart from Background
    >Intelligent Service. It is currently on automatic (looking at
    >services.msc) but stopped. When I try to start it then it comes up
    >with an error message
    >’Windows could not start this on the local computer, service specific
    >error -2147024894’
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Sarah

Windows Update Windows XP