WindowsUpdate not working

Tags:
  • Windows Update
  • Windows XP
June 11, 2005 5:35:43 PM

Hiya,
Trying to get windows update to work, but it doesn’t start downloading
(it tried and then just closes or hangs up). Background Intelligent
Transfers won’t start up, and there are lots of things in event viewer
with MsiInstaller and DCOM. Really don’t understand what has gone
wrong or how to fix it.
(Currently running XP with SP2, I can provide further information if
told what is needed)

Thanks!
SarahJ

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-WindowsUpda...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1719677

More about : windowsupdate working

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 5:35:55 PM

"SarahJ" wrote:
> Hiya,
> Trying to get windows update to work, but it doesn't start
> downloading (it tried and then just closes or hangs up).
> Background Intelligent Transfers won't start up, and there are
> lots of things in event viewer with MsiInstaller and DCOM.
> Really don't understand what has gone wrong or how to fix it.
> (Currently running XP with SP2, I can provide further
> information if told what is needed)
>
> Thanks!
> SarahJ

Please check that windows update service is running properly.
June 11, 2005 5:36:14 PM

"alikhani" wrote:
> Please check that windows update service is running properly.

Automatic updates is running in services, and it is on in the Windows
Security Centre. I did have it set up to notify me then download, but
when you selected download, it didn’t seem to do anything, and then
later on that day or the next it would come up again saying that
updates were available. It is currently set up to do everything
automatically. Looking on the windows update website, at the
installation history, it has the two updates listed numerous times
with ’failed’ and an error code of 80246008. Looking on the site for
help I’ve done the things it suggests, but still no joy.
Thanks,
SarahJ
June 11, 2005 5:36:27 PM

"SarahJ" wrote:
> Automatic updates is running in services, and it is on in the
> Windows Security Centre. I did have it set up to notify me
> then download, but when you selected download, it didn't seem
> to do anything, and then later on that day or the next it
> would come up again saying that updates were available. It is
> currently set up to do everything automatically. Looking on
> the windows update website, at the installation history, it
> has the two updates listed numerous times with 'failed' and an
> error code of 80246008. Looking on the site for help I've done
> the things it suggests, but still no joy.
> Thanks,
> SarahJ

Are you saying: There are "critical" updates for your Windows
version (critical & NOT just optional or recommended) but that
Automatic Updates never runs or shows up??

Or, you do see Automatic Updates run, but it gives you an "Error" ?

What are your settings for Automatic Updates? to notify or not notify?
to automatically download ?

IF Windows XP:
You must make sure these Win XP services are enabled and running:

Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
Cryptographic Services
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
System Restore Service

Go to Start menu >Run > MSCONFIG <enter>
Click on the "Services" Tab & review these services. They should
have a green "tick/check" mark on left; and status "Running" on
the far right.
June 11, 2005 5:36:40 PM

"alikhani" wrote:
> Are you saying: There are "critical" updates for your Windows
> version (critical & NOT just optional or recommended) but
> that Automatic Updates never runs or shows up??
>
> Or, you do see Automatic Updates run, but it gives you an
> "Error" ?
>
> What are your settings for Automatic Updates? to notify or not
> notify? to automatically download ?
>
> IF Windows XP:
> You must make sure these Win XP services are enabled and
> running:
>
> Automatic Updates
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
> Cryptographic Services
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> System Restore Service
>
> Go to Start menu >Run > MSCONFIG <enter>
> Click on the "Services" Tab & review these services. They
> should have a green "tick/check" mark on left; and status
> "Running" on the far right.

Hiya, Sorry for the lack of clarity.

When Windows Update is in the ’notify for downloads/installation’ it
appears and says that there are two ’High Priority’ updates available.
If I then click to download/update the symbol appears by the clock
(down in the RHS of the toolbar) and then disappears. Later the
Window’s update appears again, saying that the same two updates are
still to be downloaded/installed. An error message never pops up
though.

If on automatic (which it currently is) then I assume it tries to do
it in the background, but again an error message doesn’t ever appear.
Looking on the windows update webpage in the section where you can see

The services that you mention, all are running apart from Background
Intelligent Service. It is currently on automatic (looking at
services.msc) but stopped. When I try to start it then it comes up
with an error message
’Windows could not start this on the local computer, service specific
error -2147024894’

Thanks,
Sarah
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:07:16 PM

I have exactly the same problem, and am very interested to know what the fix
is. I've tried re-registering the different recommended dlls, but BIT just
will not start. I had to manually download Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1,
and all the critical updates that have not been installed. (running XP Home
edition)

!