Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problems with Windows 7 Installation

Last response: in Windows 7
July 5, 2010 8:15:26 AM

I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows 7 32-Bit on my old Dell 8400. However, when I try to start the install I receive an error message saying that a kernel is missing or corrupt.

The file is:

\windows\system32\ntoskrn1.exe

When I try to look up ways to fix this usually the OS is already installed and none of the solutions mention any problems for a fresh install. I am wondering if my 32-Bit disk is just corrupt and I should get a replacement. Any help is appreciated.

More about : problems windows installation

July 5, 2010 8:39:00 PM

Yes XP is currently installed, but it is corrupted and will not boot. I do not have my copy of XP at the moment. Is there any way I can get around the use of the XP disk and just do a fresh install of 7?

I also tried to use an Ubuntu live CD to wipe the hard drive, but when it is partitioning the drive it freezes...
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 5, 2010 8:45:58 PM

Are you not completely reformatting the drive you are putting windows on during installation? If not, I would do that. If that's not feasible, I would buy a new HDD they are cheap.
m
l
July 5, 2010 9:01:24 PM

Quote:
Are you not completely reformatting the drive you are putting windows on during installation? If not, I would do that.

How would I go about reformatting the whole drive? I am currently just trying to reinstall the OS straight from the DVD. Am I doing this incorrectly?

Thanks for the help.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 5, 2010 11:43:16 PM

Ok, when you first begin the installation from the DVD (you are booting from DVD right?) It should be the first dialog box after you click "Start" on the installation. It asks what drive you would like to install to. There should only be a list of your hard drives. If you select the drive, the option to format the drive will appear. If it's not there, there may be an option like Advanced Options or something. Also, it may have "Delete Partition" and "Create Partition" or something to that effect. An easy way is to delete the partition, and then create a new one. Its as easy as clicking a few times.

In case you don't know, formatting will wipe the entire drive clean of everything - it will all be gone. Don't do this if you still need files on the drive. It would be better to put in a new hard drive, and install to that if this is the case. You can put your original HDD in an external case and grab the files after you have an OS.
m
l
July 6, 2010 2:31:50 AM

I found my XP disk and it wiped everything on the hard drive, however when I try to install 7 the error message still appears, and when I try to install XP it says that there may be a hardware failure. Does this mean I should just accept the fact that these (I tried two HDD's) are just fried? If so would you be able to recommend a cheap 1.5 Gbps SATA HDD. Also are 3.0 Gbps backwards compatible with old motherboards? I know I won't get the full speed, but would it work?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2010 11:20:11 AM

It's hard to believe that you would get a potentially HDD based error on two separate drives. This is saying that it may be something else. The number one reason I've ever had problems with installs has been bad RAM. Second place goes to having any other disk drive installed in the computer at the same time. (windows puts some system files on other hard drives that are required, and if you change the drive order, or if a drive fails, even if its not the drive windows is on, it can hose things).

So, if I were you I would make sure no other drives, external or internal are connected other than the disk you want to install on. As far as testing RAM, there is a program that runs off its own bootable CD called "memtest86", try getting a hold of that and run the memory check for a few hours and see if it passes. Sometimes it will be fine for 2 hours, and then get to one test and fail when it gets deep, so let it run until it starts to loop.
July 6, 2010 1:25:44 PM

Alright Ill try that out today. Thanks for all the help so far.

Also both these drives are over 4 years old thats why I thought that they may be failing. I have another drive that is newer that I am currently in the process of backing up that I may be able to use.
m
l
July 10, 2010 6:45:45 PM

Best answer selected by ruane21.
m
l
July 10, 2010 6:46:59 PM

Figured out it was a bad stick of RAM creating all my problems after running memtest.

Thanks for all the help festerovic!
m
l
!