Dell Dimension 4600 and the GEFORCE 6600GT???

guinness

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
I am interested in upgrading my video card to a 6600gt agp. The card needs and additional power requirement... Will I be able to hook up this to my stock Dell power supply? If not, what power supply will I need to get? And is it very difficult to install to my DELL?

Here’s what I have:

Computer Manufacturer: [Dell Computer Corporation]
Computer Model: [Dimension 4600]
Chassis Type: [Mini Tower]
Processor / CPU: [Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 2793MHz]
BIOS Version: [DELL - 7]
Ports: [1 x Serial, 1 x Parallel, 8 x USB, 0 x Firewire (IEEE 1394)]
Total Memory / RAM: [1023 MB RAM]
Installed Harddisk(s): [82.0 GB, 160.0 GB]
Windows Version: [Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition]
Build Number: [2600, Multiprocessor Free, Service Pack 2] Display Adapter(s): [WinFast A250]
Monitor: [Plug and Play Monitor]
Sound Card: [Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device]
CD-ROM Drive(s): [TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E, TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1612]

Thanks,
Rob

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wasn't able to gather any usefull information from what you posted. Does your system have an AGP slot? Or is it PCI-Express? Or does it just have PCI slots? Did you want me to look up the Leadtec Winfast A250 and figure out what it is, or did you plan on voluteering the info?

If I at least knew the chipset I'd know if it's an AGP or PCI-Express model!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

guinness

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Crashman,

In my post i did write the following: "I am interested in upgrading my video card to a 6600gt agp." I guess I should have stated - AGP - Accelerated Graphics Port.

LOL!!!!

cleeve

Illustrious
Should be fine. Try the stock power supply.

If you experience crashing and system instability, then upgrade the power supply.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'd be amazed at how many people buy an AGP card without knowing whether or not their PC has an AGP slot!

OK, the 6600GT shouldn't really be all that power hungry, so I'd give it a shot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

guinness

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Crashman,

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. For a second or so thought that you were really living up to your accolades.... "Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!"

Thanks again,
RK

G

Crashman owns! :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

pauldh

Illustrious
Ah, the old, <i>"My New Dell 3000 can't play games so I bought a FX5700Le 256MB AGP monster gaming card but can't figure out where to put it. Please help"</i> questions. Yes, I've seen similar asked here and in person. :lol:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>