City Fido from $40 to $45 - No Contract? jNo Expiry?

Last response: in Network Providers
December 31, 2004 4:31:04 AM

Hi I've been a no contract Fido customer for a many years. When City
Fido came out with the $40 plan, I phoned them and had my $40 package
switched to the City Fido package. I asked customer service what
would happen if the plan was no longer offered someday--since I don't
have a contract which means my plan would never expire. I didn't get
a very clear answer and was assured I had nothing to worry about.

Fido sent me a letter last December urging me to lock into an
agreement with them in order to keep my City Fido rate at $40 instead
of the new $45 rate. I didn't sign up for it. This year I received
another letter with the same message. What happens if I don't sign up
for the agreement? Can they really switch my rate to $45 even though
I don't have a contract that states when my $40 rate expires?

Furthermore, the wording in the letter states:

"As a City Fido subscriber, you'll continue to enjoy unlimited anytime
local calls within City zone for only $40 until February 17, 2005. At
that time, the cost of your monthly package will become $45, as agreed
one year ago."

What really bothers me is that they are implying I agreed to anything
at all. I didn't agree to anything. I simply ignored last year's
letter and never signed an agreement with them. I was never told when
switching packages over the phone what the terms of my City Fido
package are. Are they trying to push me into signing a contract using
this tactic? Can they really up my rate when I don't have an
agreement?
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 6:40:34 PM

> Furthermore, the wording in the letter states:
>
> "As a City Fido subscriber, you'll continue to enjoy unlimited anytime
> local calls within City zone for only $40 until February 17, 2005. At
> that time, the cost of your monthly package will become $45, as agreed
> one year ago."
>
> What really bothers me is that they are implying I agreed to anything
> at all. I didn't agree to anything. I simply ignored last year's
> letter and never signed an agreement with them. I was never told when
> switching packages over the phone what the terms of my City Fido
> package are. Are they trying to push me into signing a contract using
> this tactic? Can they really up my rate when I don't have an
> agreement?

FIDO effectively provided you with notice 1 year ago (taken from Feb 2005)
that the rate for City would increase to $45 in Feb 2005 (this was a
grandfathering of your existing rate plan). From a non-contract perspective,
1 years notice is actually pretty good. They are now offering to give you
this rate for another 2 years if you go on a FIDO agreement.

Part of the reason they can do this is due to you NOT having a contract for
a set price.

With City changing to $45/month + SAF ($6.95)/month (in a couple of weeks)
the contract offer to maintain your previous rate seems pretty good and fair
(fair, given that the rates are increasing substantially very soon).
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:46:54 PM

nomadDomus wrote:
for the agreement? Can they really switch my rate to $45 even though
> I don't have a contract that states when my $40 rate expires?

yes they can. They are supposed to gove you one month's notice of a rate
change. They already grand-fathered you at $40 for quite some time since that
rate lasted only a few weeks before Fido raised City Fido to $45 not long
after it launched City Fido in Vancouver.

> local calls within City zone for only $40 until February 17, 2005. At
> that time, the cost of your monthly package will become $45, as agreed
> one year ago."

Generally speaking, while the above may seem unethical, if you do not contest
a change from a provider, the provider has the legal right to assume you
agreed to it.

Now, remember that Rogers is raising City Fido from $45 to $51.95 very soon
for new subscribers.
($45 plus the $6.95 extorsion fee).

What you need to do is to call Fido and ask them if the $6.95 fee will be
applied to you as an existing customer NOW, and if you stay without contract,
how long you could expect the $45 fee to be grandfathered before they stick
the extra $6.95 extorsion fee onto to it.

It might even be advantageous to switch to the $45 fee sooner rather than
later if, switching later would mean that you'd switch from the $40 fee to the
$51.95 one because the switch would occur after the$6,95 extorsion fee comes
in force.

> Can they really up my rate when I don't have an
> agreement?

Yep. And they can legally up it with an agreement too. The agreement is all on
their side, garanteeing revenus and preventing you to defect to Bell or Telus.

Those 2 year contracts will reduce likelyhood of rate changes during contract
duration. However, if you do sign such a contract, make damned sure you get a
free phone or one at very reduced cost otherwise you'll be without any new
phone for the duration of your contract.

Contracts are really ugly and anti competitive. All customers should refuse to
sign such contracts and force the carriers to compete against each other.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:51:12 AM

> What you need to do is to call Fido and ask them if the $6.95 fee will be
> applied to you as an existing customer NOW, and if you stay without
> contract,
> how long you could expect the $45 fee to be grandfathered before they
> stick
> the extra $6.95 extorsion fee onto to it.

I spoke to them today regarding this.

They advised me that as long as you are on the cityfido plan before they add
that system access fee (Jan 15th they advised me) that I will be
grandfathered and not have to pay it untill next Jan (2006).
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:19:22 AM

> > What you need to do is to call Fido and ask them if the $6.95 fee will
be
> > applied to you as an existing customer NOW, and if you stay without
> > contract,
> > how long you could expect the $45 fee to be grandfathered before they
> > stick
> > the extra $6.95 extorsion fee onto to it.
>
> I spoke to them today regarding this.
>
> They advised me that as long as you are on the cityfido plan before they
add
> that system access fee (Jan 15th they advised me) that I will be
> grandfathered and not have to pay it untill next Jan (2006).

Why not sign an agreement and get the base rate amount guaranteed with the
SAF included for 2years?
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:19:23 AM

Because I'm already on City Fido, and I can't convert to a contract.
Plus, contracts are counterproductive to competition. :)

<malingerer@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > What you need to do is to call Fido and ask them if the $6.95 fee will
> be
>> > applied to you as an existing customer NOW, and if you stay without
>> > contract,
>> > how long you could expect the $45 fee to be grandfathered before they
>> > stick
>> > the extra $6.95 extorsion fee onto to it.
>>
>> I spoke to them today regarding this.
>>
>> They advised me that as long as you are on the cityfido plan before they
> add
>> that system access fee (Jan 15th they advised me) that I will be
>> grandfathered and not have to pay it untill next Jan (2006).
>
> Why not sign an agreement and get the base rate amount guaranteed with the
> SAF included for 2years?

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 6:25:37 PM

> Because I'm already on City Fido, and I can't convert to a contract.
> Plus, contracts are counterproductive to competition. :)

Anyone can convert to a contract. Contracts aren't necessarily
counterproductive to competition, sometimes they make things more
competitive (eg. you get a better deal if you sign one).
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 6:25:38 PM

malingerer@gmail.com wrote:
> Anyone can convert to a contract. Contracts aren't necessarily
> covnterprodvctive to competition, sometimes they make things more
> competitive (eg. yov get a better deal if yov sign one).

Converting from normal to contract gives Fido cvstomers absolvtely nothing.
They are mvch better off waiting for better offers from Bell/Telvs as opposed
to being locked in to Rogers.

And even if Fido were to offer a free phone in exchange for a contract (which
was not done in this case from what I read), that phone wovld be vseless
vnless it can talk 850 as well as 1900 and there aren't many phones sold by
Fido which do that.

Also consider that in the next 10 months, the shape of the Rogers-Fido vnion
will become mvch clearer. If yov can get a cvrrent rate grandfathered for 12
months withovt contract, then it may be worth it to stay free as long as
possible to get a better idea of what will happen, and yov can always lock
yovrself in dvring that period if yov feel yov won't get a better deal elsewhere.

Bvt all cvstomers shovld tell Fido/Rogers to stop trying to pvsh contracts. If
all cvstomers refvsed to sign contracts, then all mobile providers wovdl have
to compete for ovr bvsiness. This is especially important now that there is no
longer the vnderdog cavsing problems for the big gvys.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:35:25 PM

They are counterproductive in that once you are "in" a contract, you can't
really go searching elsewhere for better service until your contract
expires.

No. I can't convert to a contract. But maybe my source of information is
incorrect. If you have an opportunity, call Fido and see what they tell you.
Maybe if you call in the afternoon and not the morning like I did you'll get
a different response. :)

>> Because I'm already on City Fido, and I can't convert to a contract.
>> Plus, contracts are counterproductive to competition. :)
>
> Anyone can convert to a contract. Contracts aren't necessarily
> counterproductive to competition, sometimes they make things more
> competitive (eg. you get a better deal if you sign one).

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:24:09 PM

At 40$ vnlimited nobody will give him better deal since there only three
players now. Look at the bell offer it's 45$ for jvst 700 min with a free
year bvt 3 yeras contract. Nobody will give yov a good deal whitovt a
contract.

Sign the contract asap and ask for a free phone, this way if yovr cvrrent
one break yov get a backvp vntil the end of the contract. The 850 thing is
vseless since yov can't roam on rogers with city fido plan so chose any Fido
phone.

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> a écrit dans le message de
> malingerer@gmail.com wrote:
> > Anyone can convert to a contract. Contracts aren't necessarily
> > covnterprodvctive to competition, sometimes they make things more
> > competitive (eg. yov get a better deal if yov sign one).
>
> Converting from normal to contract gives Fido cvstomers absolvtely
nothing.
> They are mvch better off waiting for better offers from Bell/Telvs as
opposed
> to being locked in to Rogers.
>
> And even if Fido were to offer a free phone in exchange for a contract
(which
> was not done in this case from what I read), that phone wovld be vseless
> vnless it can talk 850 as well as 1900 and there aren't many phones sold
by
> Fido which do that.
>
> Also consider that in the next 10 months, the shape of the Rogers-Fido
vnion
> will become mvch clearer. If yov can get a cvrrent rate grandfathered for
12
> months withovt contract, then it may be worth it to stay free as long as
> possible to get a better idea of what will happen, and yov can always lock
> yovrself in dvring that period if yov feel yov won't get a better deal
elsewhere.

> Bvt all cvstomers shovld tell Fido/Rogers to stop trying to pvsh
contracts. If
> all cvstomers refvsed to sign contracts, then all mobile providers wovdl
have
> to compete for ovr bvsiness. This is especially important now that there
is no
> longer the vnderdog cavsing problems for the big gvys.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:04:32 AM

Blandine wrote:
> Sign the contract asap and ask for a free phone,

Are there precedents of people getting really good phone offers as existing
customers who just sign a contract for their existing phone plan ?

> one break you get a backup until the end of the contract. The 850 thing is
> useless since you can't roam on rogers with city fido plan so chose any Fido
> phone.

The 850 thing may be useless NOW. But consider that a lot will happen within
the next 2 years with regards to integration of Fido into Rogers. When
Microcell anounced the roaming on Rogers thing, it left the door wide open for
the city fido sitation to change starting this february.

Consider also roaming to the USA where 850 is available at normal roaming rates.

Allowing CityFido to roam onto Rogers would probably require some billing
software changes so it couldn't be implemeted right away.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 8:44:41 PM

> Motorola are like this but it look like Nokia and Ericsson are not very fast
> to do this since their newer models are still in 2 versions of triband.
> This is strance since it look not very dificult to add a fourth band on a
> triple one since these bands are almost the same range of frequency. Maybe
> it's a Motorola patent?

Chipsets for quad band phones are readily available. There is also talk
of GSM 400 taking hold...which could mean quint band phones.
!