Wireless between sites (less than 1 mile away)

Daniel

Can anyone suggest a fairly cheap way (if possible) to connect two PC's via
wireless networking together, when they are just under 1 mile away.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks
Daniel

Daniel <djb2002@gmx.net> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a fairly cheap way (if possible) to connect two PC's via
> wireless networking together, when they are just under 1 mile away.
>
> Any help appreciated,

Maybe.
Do they have line of sight?

Daniel

"Ian Stirling" <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Daniel <djb2002@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest a fairly cheap way (if possible) to connect two PC's
>> via
>> wireless networking together, when they are just under 1 mile away.
>>
>> Any help appreciated,
>
> Maybe.
> Do they have line of sight?

Possibly from the roof - There are a few other houses along the road, but
nothing bigger.

Thanks
Daniel

"Daniel" <djb2002@gmx.net> wrote in

> Can anyone suggest a fairly cheap way (if possible) to connect two
> PC's via wireless networking together, when they are just under 1 mile
> away.

RFlinx.com or check out the Cantenna.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What is your budget? It can be done for a couple of hundred dollars, there
is no need to get too carried away! That is not a long link.

Michael

"Daniel" <djb2002@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest a fairly cheap way (if possible) to connect two PC's
via
> wireless networking together, when they are just under 1 mile away.
>
> Any help appreciated,
>
> Thanks
> Daniel

I follow the radio broadcasting industry although I'm not presently involved
in it.

I'm seeing more and more discussion about radio broadcasting using WiFi. It
is said that a local station is considering WiFi to cover a top-10 US city
with a second audio stream. They aren't just hobbyists - they are owned by a
major nation-wide broadcasting group and are a local institution.

I don't know whether they are considering 802.11a or 802.11b/g . Even with a
low audio bit rate - per transmitter - the agregate of dozens/hundreds of
transmitters............. I'm too ignorant to know if there is a broadcast
mode to WiFi (one to many), or whether each listener would have to be on a
one-to-one connection.

I'd think this would wreak havoc with what we now consider "normal" uses of
WiFi.

Any comments?

Daniel

"Michael" <teknowene@excite.com> wrote in message
> What is your budget? It can be done for a couple of hundred dollars,
> there
> is no need to get too carried away! That is not a long link.

As cheap as possible :eek:)

Thanks
Daniel

rico

In article <40826b43$0$16476$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, "R J Carpenter" <rcarpen@erols.com> wrote:
>I follow the radio broadcasting industry although I'm not presently involved
>in it.
>
>I'm seeing more and more discussion about radio broadcasting using WiFi. It
>is said that a local station is considering WiFi to cover a top-10 US city
>with a second audio stream. They aren't just hobbyists - they are owned by a
>major nation-wide broadcasting group and are a local institution.
>
>I don't know whether they are considering 802.11a or 802.11b/g . Even with a
>low audio bit rate - per transmitter - the agregate of dozens/hundreds of
>transmitters............. I'm too ignorant to know if there is a broadcast
>mode to WiFi (one to many), or whether each listener would have to be on a
>one-to-one connection.
>
>I'd think this would wreak havoc with what we now consider "normal" uses of
>WiFi.
>
>Any comments?

I'd doubt they are planning on 2.4GHz, too much legal 'junk' already there.
Cordless phones, burglar alarms, garage door openers, X10 wireless stuff. I
think even my keyless entry for my car uses 2.4GHz. The list of consumer
stuff is just endless and growing. For a broadcaster this is just not an
intelligent idea. Now if the plan is to go into the hotspot business, that
is another thing all together. Just ask McDonalds.

"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <40826b43$0$16476$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, "R J Carpenter"
<rcarpen@erols.com> wrote:
> >I follow the radio broadcasting industry although I'm not presently
involved
> >in it.
> >
> >I'm seeing more and more discussion about radio broadcasting using WiFi.
It
> >is said that a local station is considering WiFi to cover a top-10 US
city
> >with a second audio stream. They aren't just hobbyists - they are owned
by a
> >major nation-wide broadcasting group and are a local institution.
SNIP
> >Any comments?

> The list of consumer
> stuff is just endless and growing. For a broadcaster this is just not an
> intelligent idea. Now if the plan is to go into the hotspot business, that
> is another thing all together. Just ask McDonalds.

The local radio broadcast outfit in question billed close to $40 million
last year just with their station in this area. I don't think they could be
bothered to act as an ISP.

The McFi will go down in flames in 2 years....
not sure about you, but I don't want to take my
$3,000 laptop into Happy Meal Land to surf the net....
and I'm sure not gonna pay for it to boot...it will
be a big McFlop !

rico

In article <4082f708$0$16462$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, "R J Carpenter" <rcarpen@erols.com> wrote:

>"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In article <40826b43$0$16476$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, "R J Carpenter"
><rcarpen@erols.com> wrote:
>> >I follow the radio broadcasting industry although I'm not presently
>involved
>> >in it.
>> >
>> >I'm seeing more and more discussion about radio broadcasting using WiFi.
>It
>> >is said that a local station is considering WiFi to cover a top-10 US
>city
>> >with a second audio stream. They aren't just hobbyists - they are owned
>by a
>> >major nation-wide broadcasting group and are a local institution.
> SNIP
>> >Any comments?
>
>> The list of consumer
>> stuff is just endless and growing. For a broadcaster this is just not an
>> intelligent idea. Now if the plan is to go into the hotspot business, that
>> is another thing all together. Just ask McDonalds.
>
>The local radio broadcast outfit in question billed close to $40 million
>last year just with their station in this area. I don't think they could be
>bothered to act as an ISP.

Just for comparison, I think McDonalds gross profits ran about $17Billion,
there maybe more to the ISP game then you think.

> I said:
> >The local radio broadcast outfit in question billed close to $40 million
> >last year just with their station in this area. I don't think they could
be
> >bothered to act as an ISP.
>
> Just for comparison, I think McDonalds gross profits ran about $17Billion,
> there maybe more to the ISP game then you think.

There;s a big difference. McD wants to bring people into their store. The
WiFi may attract some people. I can't see much spinoff for the radio station
to offer WISP. It might bring in a few bucks, but it doesn't bring people
into their "store".

I question how much of McD's $17 billion is in this one market I'm
discussing.

rico

In article <MPG.1aeceb0d8ab8f46e989682@news.sysmatrix.net>, PC24 <bc@blah.com> wrote:
>The McFi will go down in flames in 2 years....
>not sure about you, but I don't want to take my
>$3,000 laptop into Happy Meal Land to surf the net....
>and I'm sure not gonna pay for it to boot...it will
>be a big McFlop !

I'm betting you drive to the office, go to lunch and go home, repeat 5 or 6
days a week. Guess what there are people in their cars on the Interstates
and other highways selling goods, booking orders and would love a quick and
easy way to get those orders into the shop and get updated inventory data.
Not to mention a quick email check.

It may not succeed, but you are fooling yourself if you think you are the
target market for this. Road 'warriors' are in and out of fastfood joints a
lot, got to give that coffee back to the sewer systems somewhere. To pop in
and check the company network for 5 or 10 minutes is I suspect going to be
a big hit with some of these folks.

rico

In article <40843f90$0$16453$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, "R J Carpenter" <rcarpen@erols.com> wrote:

>"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I said:
>> >The local radio broadcast outfit in question billed close to $40 million
>> >last year just with their station in this area. I don't think they could
>be
>> >bothered to act as an ISP.
>>
>> Just for comparison, I think McDonalds gross profits ran about $17Billion,
>> there maybe more to the ISP game then you think.
>
>There;s a big difference. McD wants to bring people into their store. The
>WiFi may attract some people. I can't see much spinoff for the radio station
>to offer WISP. It might bring in a few bucks, but it doesn't bring people
>into their "store".

The point is, on a practical level being an ISP of some sort would be the
only reason a broadcaster would be interested in the 2.4GHz spectrum used
by 802.11 a/b/g. There is way too much unlicensed junk in the band for them
to effectly use it in their normal business model of attracking
ears/eyeballs. By setting up hotspots in the community though they can
potentially increase the number of eyeballs for sale. Other then that, how
do you think they reach an audience using a portion of the spectrum that
has no other ears/eyes?

In article <108a613h17q5ff4@corp.supernews.com>,
Rico <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote:
:The point is, on a practical level being an ISP of some sort would be the
:eek:nly reason a broadcaster would be interested in the 2.4GHz spectrum used
:by 802.11 a/b/g.

Uh, 802.11a does not use any 2.4 GHz spectrum at all.

:There is way too much unlicensed junk in the band for them
:to effectly use it in their normal business model of attracking
:ears/eyeballs.

There is not much unlicensed junk in the appropriate "outdoor" 5.8 GHz
802.11a band. But there aren't so many people with 802.11a equipment.

:By setting up hotspots in the community though they can
:potentially increase the number of eyeballs for sale.

Sudden [horrible] thought: forming an 802.11a/b/g association requires
that a signal makes it back from the recipient to the transmitter, right?
So if one had a strong transmitter and wasn't concerned about the ability
of others to associate back, then would it not be the case that one
could send out advertisements via the SSID broadcasts? SSID are, as
I recall, 32 characters -- long enough for a short slogan, and
if repeated in sequence, several together could form a noticable
advertisement.

"The signal 'Chicken Wings - only 5 cents' has just been acquired. Connect
to it?"
"The signal 'Every Tues nite at Harrys' has just been acquired. Connect
to it?"
"The signal 'Harrys Happy Hour - 6-8' has just been acquired. Connect
to it?"
--
How does Usenet function without a fixed point?

rico

In article <c64oln$q2h$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>, roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:
>In article <108a613h17q5ff4@corp.supernews.com>,
>Rico <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote:
>:The point is, on a practical level being an ISP of some sort would be the
>:eek:nly reason a broadcaster would be interested in the 2.4GHz spectrum used
>:by 802.11 a/b/g.
>
>Uh, 802.11a does not use any 2.4 GHz spectrum at all.
>
>:There is way too much unlicensed junk in the band for them
>:to effectly use it in their normal business model of attracking
>:ears/eyeballs.
>
>There is not much unlicensed junk in the appropriate "outdoor" 5.8 GHz
>802.11a band. But there aren't so many people with 802.11a equipment.

Been to Best Buy/ Frys lately, visit the cordless phone isle. Due to the
clutter in the 2.4 band more and more 'junk' will be moving into that
region as well. May take a bit more time, but time is what the junk makers
have.

>:By setting up hotspots in the community though they can
>:potentially increase the number of eyeballs for sale.
>
>Sudden [horrible] thought: forming an 802.11a/b/g association requires
>that a signal makes it back from the recipient to the transmitter, right?
>So if one had a strong transmitter and wasn't concerned about the ability
>of others to associate back, then would it not be the case that one
>could send out advertisements via the SSID broadcasts? SSID are, as
>I recall, 32 characters -- long enough for a short slogan, and
>if repeated in sequence, several together could form a noticable
>advertisement.

FCC does have power restrictions in 2.4GHx band. Boradcaster would under no
circumstances want to get the FCC after him for something as silly as this.

>"The signal 'Chicken Wings - only 5 cents' has just been acquired. Connect
>to it?"
>"The signal 'Every Tues nite at Harrys' has just been acquired. Connect
>to it?"
>"The signal 'Harrys Happy Hour - 6-8' has just been acquired. Connect
>to it?"

More likely $$$ making senerio, 'welcome to Joe's Diner Net. Joe's specail
today is rat burger and fries. When you finish your meal don't forget Tom's
five and dime down the street, Tom is selling widgets at a crazy low
price.'

Tom is of course paying ISP for plug.