Games work fine for few minutes, then starts to freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halueryphi

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
So I'll play a game on my laptop for a few minutes and then it'l start to freeze every 5 seconds for 1-2 seconds then go back to normal and do it again in 5 seconds. And it's not a graphics problem because I turned the graphics all the way down and it still happened. Could it be because my CPU is overheating? Because i think it is a bit. But could that be the problem? Ive got an i7 2.5ghz 3.4ghz turbo processor with AMD HD6990m. Thanks in advance :)

Pretty common problem with a cooling assembly that's become clogged with dust. The GPU overheats and throttles itself to prevent damage. Unfortunately it will rarely tell you that this is the case.

Get a can of compressed air and clean that sucker out.

If you're comfortable doing so, take it apart and lubricate the fan with some WD40

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Yes, you can use dust spray and see if that helps any. What game are you playing? Do you have the latest patches installed? What laptop do you have? Do you think there may be a conflict with any new software you may have installed such as an new anti-virus or new utility software?

halueryphi

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

No. Haven't installed anything new really... besides Arma 2 and DayZ but I doubt that's the problem. But other than that.. no. And everything is up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.