Where Did My CD Drives Go?

June 11, 2005 7:22:56 PM

Hi:
I have XP 5.1 SP2 on a Pentium 4 MSI mobo. Plenty of ram, 160 GB sata drive,
and have a CD ROM and CD/DVD r/rw drives on my secondary IDE port.

Everything has been fine on this pc until I loaded Acronis True Image 8.
This software makes archive images on backup droves, in my case it is
external firewire hard drives.

To view the archive images, Acronis creates drive letters, such as G: or H:
for XP to deal with.

All went well with the TI software, until I noticed that my cd drives were
not available to XP.

CMOS shows the drives present. I can even boot on a cd drive but can't use
them in XP. XP's "System" hardware mgr sees them, but with a yellow !.
Telling XP to delete them and find them again didn't help.

A poster on the Acronis forum sent me a vbs script that deleted 6 registry
entries. I studied it and then ran it. My cd drives returned and I thought I
was fine.

I still suffer from at least one problem.

I cannot record on the cdrw drive from XP Explorer. I found the "record" tab
was missing from "properties". Following another registry edit this tab
returned, I'm getting closer.

Now when in XP Explorer, I drag a file to the cdrw and it accepts it. A note
at the bottom of the screen says I have files to record to cdrw.

I click to do the record and the message says "no disk is in the drive".
Opening the drive and putting disks in doesn't ever get passed this point.

The cd drives certainly find disks when playback is requested.

Nero software can us the cdrw drive to record. XP cannot.

I'm stuck here.

PS: At this point I no not recommend True Image.

Help please,

Chopah

More about : drives

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:54:14 PM

if you find a solution you shoudl post it, so try recommendation.
Otherwise , consider a system restore.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:42:39 PM

Chopah wrote:
> I have XP 5.1 SP2 on a Pentium 4 MSI mobo. Plenty of ram, 160 GB sata
> drive, and have a CD ROM and CD/DVD r/rw drives on my secondary IDE
> port.
> Everything has been fine on this pc until I loaded Acronis True Image
> 8. This software makes archive images on backup droves, in my case it
> is external firewire hard drives.
>
> To view the archive images, Acronis creates drive letters, such as G:
> or H: for XP to deal with.
>
> All went well with the TI software, until I noticed that my cd drives
> were not available to XP.
>
> CMOS shows the drives present. I can even boot on a cd drive but
> can't use them in XP. XP's "System" hardware mgr sees them, but with
> a yellow !. Telling XP to delete them and find them again didn't help.
>
> A poster on the Acronis forum sent me a vbs script that deleted 6
> registry entries. I studied it and then ran it. My cd drives returned
> and I thought I was fine.
>
> I still suffer from at least one problem.
>
> I cannot record on the cdrw drive from XP Explorer. I found the
> "record" tab was missing from "properties". Following another
> registry edit this tab returned, I'm getting closer.
>
> Now when in XP Explorer, I drag a file to the cdrw and it accepts it.
> A note at the bottom of the screen says I have files to record to
> cdrw.
> I click to do the record and the message says "no disk is in the
> drive". Opening the drive and putting disks in doesn't ever get
> passed this point.
> The cd drives certainly find disks when playback is requested.
>
> Nero software can us the cdrw drive to record. XP cannot.
>
> I'm stuck here.
>
> PS: At this point I no not recommend True Image.

Now that you fixed your registry issue.. Remove the drives and reboot to let
them reinstall.. Then check the record tab again.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan:

Removed drives, rebooted, they re-installed, NO record tab present again. I
edit the one byte in registery, record tab returns, no recording works, just
as before.

Is there an XP "repair" install I can safely do?

True Image is a true pain for me.

Chopah.

> Chopah wrote:
>> I have XP 5.1 SP2 on a Pentium 4 MSI mobo. Plenty of ram, 160 GB sata
>> drive, and have a CD ROM and CD/DVD r/rw drives on my secondary IDE
>> port.
>> Everything has been fine on this pc until I loaded Acronis True Image
>> 8. This software makes archive images on backup droves, in my case it
>> is external firewire hard drives.
>>
>> To view the archive images, Acronis creates drive letters, such as G:
>> or H: for XP to deal with.
>>
>> All went well with the TI software, until I noticed that my cd drives
>> were not available to XP.
>>
>> CMOS shows the drives present. I can even boot on a cd drive but
>> can't use them in XP. XP's "System" hardware mgr sees them, but with
>> a yellow !. Telling XP to delete them and find them again didn't help.
>>
>> A poster on the Acronis forum sent me a vbs script that deleted 6
>> registry entries. I studied it and then ran it. My cd drives returned
>> and I thought I was fine.
>>
>> I still suffer from at least one problem.
>>
>> I cannot record on the cdrw drive from XP Explorer. I found the
>> "record" tab was missing from "properties". Following another
>> registry edit this tab returned, I'm getting closer.
>>
>> Now when in XP Explorer, I drag a file to the cdrw and it accepts it.
>> A note at the bottom of the screen says I have files to record to
>> cdrw.
>> I click to do the record and the message says "no disk is in the
>> drive". Opening the drive and putting disks in doesn't ever get
>> passed this point.
>> The cd drives certainly find disks when playback is requested.
>>
>> Nero software can us the cdrw drive to record. XP cannot.
>>
>> I'm stuck here.
>>
>> PS: At this point I no not recommend True Image.
>
> Now that you fixed your registry issue.. Remove the drives and reboot to
> let them reinstall.. Then check the record tab again.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

June 11, 2005 11:32:37 PM

Chopah wrote:
> Removed drives, rebooted, they re-installed, NO record tab present
> again. I edit the one byte in registery, record tab returns, no
> recording works, just as before.
>
> Is there an XP "repair" install I can safely do?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
or
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/doug...
or
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Chopah wrote:
> Hi:
> I have XP 5.1 SP2 on a Pentium 4 MSI mobo. Plenty of ram, 160 GB sata drive,
> and have a CD ROM and CD/DVD r/rw drives on my secondary IDE port.
>
> Everything has been fine on this pc until I loaded Acronis True Image 8.
> This software makes archive images on backup droves, in my case it is
> external firewire hard drives.
>
> To view the archive images, Acronis creates drive letters, such as G: or H:
> for XP to deal with.
>
> All went well with the TI software, until I noticed that my cd drives were
> not available to XP.
>
> CMOS shows the drives present. I can even boot on a cd drive but can't use
> them in XP. XP's "System" hardware mgr sees them, but with a yellow !.
> Telling XP to delete them and find them again didn't help.
>
> A poster on the Acronis forum sent me a vbs script that deleted 6 registry
> entries. I studied it and then ran it. My cd drives returned and I thought I
> was fine.
>
> I still suffer from at least one problem.
>
> I cannot record on the cdrw drive from XP Explorer. I found the "record" tab
> was missing from "properties". Following another registry edit this tab
> returned, I'm getting closer.
>
> Now when in XP Explorer, I drag a file to the cdrw and it accepts it. A note
> at the bottom of the screen says I have files to record to cdrw.
>
> I click to do the record and the message says "no disk is in the drive".
> Opening the drive and putting disks in doesn't ever get passed this point.
>
> The cd drives certainly find disks when playback is requested.
>
> Nero software can us the cdrw drive to record. XP cannot.
>
> I'm stuck here.
>
> PS: At this point I no not recommend True Image.
>
> Help please,

Try this. It has worked for me on a few machines that showed the same
problem.

Open regedit, and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Delete all value data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters

Don't delete the Key or the Multi-String values, only the data values.
Exit regedit and reboot.

Cheers
Tesla
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:22:54 PM

Tesla:

This is how I managed to get the drive letters back.

The record still fails with my cd rw drive. It simply cannot see a disk in
it when asked to record. Playback works fine.

I do have an enabled "recording" tab in the properties of the drive.

Ch

"Tesla" <tesla4370@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Chopah wrote:
>> Hi:
>> I have XP 5.1 SP2 on a Pentium 4 MSI mobo. Plenty of ram, 160 GB sata
>> drive, and have a CD ROM and CD/DVD r/rw drives on my secondary IDE port.
>>
>> Everything has been fine on this pc until I loaded Acronis True Image 8.
>> This software makes archive images on backup droves, in my case it is
>> external firewire hard drives.
>>
>> To view the archive images, Acronis creates drive letters, such as G: or
>> H: for XP to deal with.
>>
>> All went well with the TI software, until I noticed that my cd drives
>> were not available to XP.
>>
>> CMOS shows the drives present. I can even boot on a cd drive but can't
>> use them in XP. XP's "System" hardware mgr sees them, but with a yellow
>> !.
>> Telling XP to delete them and find them again didn't help.
>>
>> A poster on the Acronis forum sent me a vbs script that deleted 6
>> registry entries. I studied it and then ran it. My cd drives returned and
>> I thought I was fine.
>>
>> I still suffer from at least one problem.
>>
>> I cannot record on the cdrw drive from XP Explorer. I found the "record"
>> tab was missing from "properties". Following another registry edit this
>> tab returned, I'm getting closer.
>>
>> Now when in XP Explorer, I drag a file to the cdrw and it accepts it. A
>> note at the bottom of the screen says I have files to record to cdrw.
>>
>> I click to do the record and the message says "no disk is in the drive".
>> Opening the drive and putting disks in doesn't ever get passed this
>> point.
>>
>> The cd drives certainly find disks when playback is requested.
>>
>> Nero software can us the cdrw drive to record. XP cannot.
>>
>> I'm stuck here.
>>
>> PS: At this point I no not recommend True Image.
>>
>> Help please,
>>

> Try this. It has worked for me on a few machines that showed the same
> problem.
>
> Open regedit, and navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
>
> Delete all value data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters
>
> Don't delete the Key or the Multi-String values, only the data values.
> Exit regedit and reboot.
>
> Cheers
> Tesla
June 13, 2005 8:01:27 AM

Chopah wrote:
> Tesla:
>
> This is how I managed to get the drive letters back.
>
> The record still fails with my cd rw drive. It simply cannot see a disk in
> it when asked to record. Playback works fine.
>
> I do have an enabled "recording" tab in the properties of the drive.

Have a look here -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316529

Cheers
Tesla