Files slow to open when left or right clicked when network..

For some time now (months) I have had the problem of files of all types being
slow to run or open when either left or right clicked. Programs or shortcuts
to those programs don't seem to be affected. This only occurs when the
network connection is active; if I disable the network connection, everything
works as it should.

I have tried various methods of resolving this issue, including the posts
here regarding problems when right clicking and with context menu issues.
I've tried the sfc /scannow and I've looked through the registry. I don't
have any connections to other computers, like shared files/folders or
printers and so on. I just use a firewall/router for an internet connection.

I have also turned on and off AntiVirus and Firewall protection; doesn't
affect this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about files slow open left clicked network

    Just a little additional that I've discovered:

    If I leave my LAN connection enabled and disable the Network Bridge, the
    problem goes away. I'm using a Linksys Cable/DSL Firewall Router. I checked
    Linksys's site but found no help there.

    ....still puzzled....

    "JHK" wrote:

    > For some time now (months) I have had the problem of files of all types being
    > slow to run or open when either left or right clicked. Programs or shortcuts
    > to those programs don't seem to be affected. This only occurs when the
    > network connection is active; if I disable the network connection, everything
    > works as it should.
    >
    > I have tried various methods of resolving this issue, including the posts
    > here regarding problems when right clicking and with context menu issues.
    > I've tried the sfc /scannow and I've looked through the registry. I don't
    > have any connections to other computers, like shared files/folders or
    > printers and so on. I just use a firewall/router for an internet connection.
    >
    > I have also turned on and off AntiVirus and Firewall protection; doesn't
    > affect this issue.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    JHK,

    Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

    --
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MS-MVP, Windows Shell

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "JHK" <JHK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For some time now (months) I have had the problem of files of all types
    > being
    > slow to run or open when either left or right clicked. Programs or
    > shortcuts
    > to those programs don't seem to be affected. This only occurs when the
    > network connection is active; if I disable the network connection,
    > everything
    > works as it should.
    >
    > I have tried various methods of resolving this issue, including the posts
    > here regarding problems when right clicking and with context menu issues.
    > I've tried the sfc /scannow and I've looked through the registry. I don't
    > have any connections to other computers, like shared files/folders or
    > printers and so on. I just use a firewall/router for an internet
    > connection.
    >
    > I have also turned on and off AntiVirus and Firewall protection; doesn't
    > affect this issue.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

Network Connection Windows XP