xp frozen at welcome screen

I've upgraded from windows 98SE to XP sp2. I can't get beyond the welcome
screen. Just sits there looking at me. ANy thoughts? This is very
frustrating....

Fujiman_nb

303661 - How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q303661

Windows XP Upgrade Advisor: it's on the setup CD, or, see: http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp AND
http://aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"fujiman_nb" <fujimannb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70BE6AB4-20E5-4758-B7CB-20A1691F5C5C@microsoft.com...
> I've upgraded from windows 98SE to XP sp2. I can't get beyond the welcome
> screen. Just sits there looking at me. ANy thoughts? This is very
> frustrating....
>
> Fujiman_nb

still frozen at startup screen!!! can boot in safe mode only! XP advises
that my system is OK for upgrading, even did an internet check for updates.
Told me everything was fine. STUCK AT STARTUP SCREEN!!!!!

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> 303661 - How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q303661
>
> Windows XP Upgrade Advisor: it's on the setup CD, or, see: http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp AND
> http://aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "fujiman_nb" <fujimannb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70BE6AB4-20E5-4758-B7CB-20A1691F5C5C@microsoft.com...
> > I've upgraded from windows 98SE to XP sp2. I can't get beyond the welcome
> > screen. Just sits there looking at me. ANy thoughts? This is very
> > frustrating....
> >
> > Fujiman_nb

Some driver is not loading. I would reduce to minimum hardware, and try the upgrade

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"fujiman_nb" <fujimannb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0501AEC4-CF09-4BE1-BC1B-B5F2F578ECF4@microsoft.com...
> still frozen at startup screen!!! can boot in safe mode only! XP advises
> that my system is OK for upgrading, even did an internet check for updates.
> Told me everything was fine. STUCK AT STARTUP SCREEN!!!!!
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> 303661 - How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q303661
>>
>> Windows XP Upgrade Advisor: it's on the setup CD, or, see: http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp AND
>> http://aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "fujiman_nb" <fujimannb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70BE6AB4-20E5-4758-B7CB-20A1691F5C5C@microsoft.com...
>> > I've upgraded from windows 98SE to XP sp2. I can't get beyond the welcome
>> > screen. Just sits there looking at me. ANy thoughts? This is very
>> > frustrating....
>> >
>> > Fujiman_nb

I am at a base machine now. Dell Csx. Floppy drive, cd drive. No PCIMCI
cards.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Some driver is not loading. I would reduce to minimum hardware, and try the upgrade
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "fujiman_nb" <fujimannb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0501AEC4-CF09-4BE1-BC1B-B5F2F578ECF4@microsoft.com...
> > still frozen at startup screen!!! can boot in safe mode only! XP advises
> > that my system is OK for upgrading, even did an internet check for updates.
> > Told me everything was fine. STUCK AT STARTUP SCREEN!!!!!
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> 303661 - How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q303661
> >>
> >> Windows XP Upgrade Advisor: it's on the setup CD, or, see: http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp AND
> >> http://aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

I would do a clean install to a different windir folder, and try to save data. If you can revert to the old OS you can run the FAST
wizard to save the profile, and restore it later.

Save settings and data with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST wizard): Go To: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson