Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Ok. Windows starts up and it says that the 6600gt has reduced performance because theres not enough power supplyed. Riva tuner says its currently clocked at 100mhz core.

This is realy odd, I do believe it is the powersupply thats not supplying the correct ammount of power. I figured even a offbrand PSU would supply enough power to basic components (CPU GPU HDD) and nothing else.

My question is, would it be safe to use Riva Tuner to boost the clock speed back to its default 500mhz?

system:
A64 3400+ (754)
DFI UT 250GB
512 PQI DDR3200
BFG 6600GT
*Off brand 500W PSU*

My noob friend didnt pay attention to the PSU he got.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

It is completly obvious that your power supply is not up to the job. To prove this, go into the BIOS and write down the voltage rails that are being supplied - namely the 3.3, 5 and 12.

Post them.

would it be safe to use Riva Tuner to boost the clock speed back to its default 500mhz?

No, as the card would most likely crash.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Crash as in die? Or restart the computer or stall?

wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

G

<A HREF="http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-FS400TN" target="_new"> FSP Blue Storm 400w psu </A> This will actually supply more than 400w, not sure if it will be enough power but its worth checking out for $68.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Even FSP's 350W power supply puts out more power than most 500W generics, and for the few cheap 500W power supplies that can output more than 350W, the FSP 350W still provides smoother power with better overcurrent and heat protection.

Their 400W unit should be more than enough. Not a lot more than enough, but still a bit better than required.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
Silly question-did you plug in the 4 pin molex power connector to the video card (the same kinf that goes to harddrives and cd/dvd players)?

If the answer is yes,check that plug by swaping it to you HD or media player and see if it still works.

Once you power issue is resolved, try downloading "coolbits 2" from Guru3d.com. Install it and then turn on 3d performance-vs 2d performance that is stock on all Nvidia drivers (I am running 6600GT card myself)

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Yes Yes the molex is plugged in :D. Its not my PC and I would have never installed such a POS PSU! I was telling him that he could run 2 PSU's (another cheapo one) with one just on the graphics card. Be he dont like the idea of having both going from the same switch. I tell him the switch just compleets the circut. But he would rather suffer untill next pay check (2 weeks)

Fry's is where he does his shopping and the best that I found there was an Asipre 500W... I have one and it runs rock solid on all V-rails with 4HD's 6800Gt and 6 fans. If I can find a Fortron I will get that. Frys doesnt have a great supply of PSU's though. I will browse for other name brands. They have Antech, but nothing over 350W.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
This also means hes starving the rest of his system of power. I told him that once he gets some quality power going, his system will open up and run way better.

Now, seeing how his PSU is maxing out, I am assuming that it may go boom from overuse here real soon.

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
It is interesting the limited power supplies at Fryes-I got my antec 550 watt from fryes-guess supplies differ from store to store.
Have you considered looking "online" for a good power supply?

Once you get your power issues fixed, you will find it is a great card. I run Far Cry and Halflife 2 both with everything set to max-rest of system 3 gig norwood processor and 1 gig of ram.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Buying online is not an option for him... Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Ok. He went to Frys and bought that Aspire 500W. It was only $55 and was the only good one in his budget. His system has opend up a whole lot. It runs smoother and feels faster now.

After the install of the new PSU, the 6600gt was still clocking low. Even after a complete removal/reinstall of the drivers, it would only clock at 300/1000. This was also causing black spotches in Farcry. I set the clock to where it was supposed to be and its running great and all the games are flying like their supposed to be.