Windows XP Service Pack 2: Right click and Shutdown issues

Hello, I am using Windows XP Home OEM edition Service pack 2 with all the
latest updates installed. Whenever I right click on a free space in the
desktop, the menu takes sometime to appear (4 to five seconds) The hourglass
appears and the menu appears. Do others face the same problem? Installed LAN
recently, to access the internet and since then, my shutdown time has become
considerably low. It takes five minutes for the shutdown process to get over.
Please help me out people. Regards,
Pradip Udayakanth C.G
8 answers Last reply
More about windows service pack click shutdown issues

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MS-MVP, Windows Shell

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." <PradipUdayakanthCG@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:CBBFA70F-3236-4D01-B081-4CBD7F68EC26@microsoft.com...
    > Hello, I am using Windows XP Home OEM edition Service pack 2 with all the
    > latest updates installed. Whenever I right click on a free space in the
    > desktop, the menu takes sometime to appear (4 to five seconds) The
    > hourglass
    > appears and the menu appears. Do others face the same problem? Installed
    > LAN
    > recently, to access the internet and since then, my shutdown time has
    > become
    > considerably low. It takes five minutes for the shutdown process to get
    > over.
    > Please help me out people. Regards,
    > Pradip Udayakanth C.G

    WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH...... Microsoft Indian support team couldn't solve
    my problem.... and what about my shutdown problem?? anyone facing the same?

    "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." wrote:

    > Hello, I am using Windows XP Home OEM edition Service pack 2 with all the
    > latest updates installed. Whenever I right click on a free space in the
    > desktop, the menu takes sometime to appear (4 to five seconds) The hourglass
    > appears and the menu appears. Do others face the same problem? Installed LAN
    > recently, to access the internet and since then, my shutdown time has become
    > considerably low. It takes five minutes for the shutdown process to get over.
    > Please help me out people. Regards,
    > Pradip Udayakanth C.G

    >> WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH.

    You're welcome Pradip. Which extension caused this?

    BTW, where in India are you from?

    For the slow shutdown problem, try here:

    Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    http://www.winhelponline.com/slowshutdown.htm

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    wrote in message news:4C284978-36B5-4132-BA57-5EB9D1FD57EA@microsoft.com...
    > WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH...... Microsoft Indian support team couldn't
    > solve
    > my problem.... and what about my shutdown problem?? anyone facing the
    > same?
    >
    > "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, I am using Windows XP Home OEM edition Service pack 2 with all the
    >> latest updates installed. Whenever I right click on a free space in the
    >> desktop, the menu takes sometime to appear (4 to five seconds) The
    >> hourglass
    >> appears and the menu appears. Do others face the same problem? Installed
    >> LAN
    >> recently, to access the internet and since then, my shutdown time has
    >> become
    >> considerably low. It takes five minutes for the shutdown process to get
    >> over.
    >> Please help me out people. Regards,
    >> Pradip Udayakanth C.G

    An advanced system operator extension. I am from TamilNadu

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > >> WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH.
    >
    > You're welcome Pradip. Which extension caused this?
    >
    > BTW, where in India are you from?
    >
    > For the slow shutdown problem, try here:
    >
    > Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter:
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    > http://www.winhelponline.com/slowshutdown.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >
    > "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." <PradipUdayakanthCG@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message news:4C284978-36B5-4132-BA57-5EB9D1FD57EA@microsoft.com...
    > > WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH...... Microsoft Indian support team couldn't
    > > solve
    > > my problem.... and what about my shutdown problem?? anyone facing the
    > > same?
    > >
    > > "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello, I am using Windows XP Home OEM edition Service pack 2 with all the
    > >> latest updates installed. Whenever I right click on a free space in the
    > >> desktop, the menu takes sometime to appear (4 to five seconds) The
    > >> hourglass
    > >> appears and the menu appears. Do others face the same problem? Installed
    > >> LAN
    > >> recently, to access the internet and since then, my shutdown time has
    > >> become
    > >> considerably low. It takes five minutes for the shutdown process to get
    > >> over.
    > >> Please help me out people. Regards,
    > >> Pradip Udayakanth C.G

    I have tried those sites out, no use :(

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > >> WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH.
    >
    > You're welcome Pradip. Which extension caused this?
    >
    > BTW, where in India are you from?
    >
    > For the slow shutdown problem, try here:
    >
    > Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter:
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    > http://www.winhelponline.com/slowshutdown.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >
    > "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." <PradipUdayakanthCG@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message news:4C284978-36B5-4132-BA57-5EB9D1FD57EA@microsoft.com...
    > > WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH...... Microsoft Indian support team couldn't
    > > solve
    > > my problem.... and what about my shutdown problem?? anyone facing the
    > > same?
    > >
    > > "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello, I am using Windows XP Home OEM edition Service pack 2 with all the
    > >> latest updates installed. Whenever I right click on a free space in the
    > >> desktop, the menu takes sometime to appear (4 to five seconds) The
    > >> hourglass
    > >> appears and the menu appears. Do others face the same problem? Installed
    > >> LAN
    > >> recently, to access the internet and since then, my shutdown time has
    > >> become
    > >> considerably low. It takes five minutes for the shutdown process to get
    > >> over.
    > >> Please help me out people. Regards,
    > >> Pradip Udayakanth C.G

    I am afraid, my right click is still bugging me :( It is alright at times...
    But I am facing the problems still

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > >> WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH.
    >
    > You're welcome Pradip. Which extension caused this?
    >
    > BTW, where in India are you from?
    >
    > For the slow shutdown problem, try here:
    >
    > Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter:
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    > http://www.winhelponline.com/slowshutdown.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >
    > "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." <PradipUdayakanthCG@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message news:4C284978-36B5-4132-BA57-5EB9D1FD57EA@microsoft.com...
    > > WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH...... Microsoft Indian support team couldn't
    > > solve
    > > my problem.... and what about my shutdown problem?? anyone facing the
    > > same?
    > >
    > > "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello, I am using Windows XP Home OEM edition Service pack 2 with all the
    > >> latest updates installed. Whenever I right click on a free space in the
    > >> desktop, the menu takes sometime to appear (4 to five seconds) The
    > >> hourglass
    > >> appears and the menu appears. Do others face the same problem? Installed
    > >> LAN
    > >> recently, to access the internet and since then, my shutdown time has
    > >> become
    > >> considerably low. It takes five minutes for the shutdown process to get
    > >> over.
    > >> Please help me out people. Regards,
    > >> Pradip Udayakanth C.G

    Me from TN too. (Chennai)

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    wrote in message news:2831F85B-BD7C-4074-B0B8-F46B748DD248@microsoft.com...
    > An advanced system operator extension. I am from TamilNadu

    >> You're welcome Pradip. Which extension caused this?
    >>
    >> BTW, where in India are you from?
    >>
    >> For the slow shutdown problem, try here:
    >>
    >> Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter:
    >> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com/slowshutdown.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>
    >> "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." <PradipUdayakanthCG@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote in message
    >> > WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH...... Microsoft Indian support team couldn't
    >> > solve
    >> > my problem.... and what about my shutdown problem?? anyone facing the
    >> > same?

    Have you tried an advanced clean-boot and still does not help?

    Advanced troubleshooting info for you:

    How to temporarily deactivate the kernel mode filter driver in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816071

    Take a complete registry backup using ERUNT:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    wrote in message news:DEC857EC-BC32-461C-BA29-823DCE6FFA0C@microsoft.com...
    >I have tried those sites out, no use :(

    >> You're welcome Pradip. Which extension caused this?
    >>
    >> BTW, where in India are you from?
    >>
    >> For the slow shutdown problem, try here:
    >>
    >> Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter:
    >> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com/slowshutdown.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>
    >> "Pradip Udayakanth C.G." <PradipUdayakanthCG@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote in message
    >> > WOW!!! THANKS A LOT RAMESH...... Microsoft Indian support team couldn't
    >> > solve
    >> > my problem.... and what about my shutdown problem?? anyone facing the
    >> > same?

Shutdown Windows XP