Win 3.1 or a Win 3.1 Emulator for XP

Where can i download Win 3.1 or a Win 3.1 emulator for Windows Xp to run my
Win 3.1 application that doesnt function in XP compatability mode
8 answers Last reply
More about emulator

    "Joe Rabbit" <nospam1254Rabbit@symantec.com> wrote in message
    > Where can i download Win 3.1 or a Win 3.1 emulator for Windows Xp to run
    > my
    > Win 3.1 application that doesnt function in XP compatability mode

    The cheapest option would be to purchase an old computer with Windows 3.1
    installed on it. They can usually be found at garage/yard sales or flea
    markets for under $100.00. Sometimes people give them away just to save them
    the hassle of taking them to a landfill.

    Kerry

    It is called VirtualPC from Microsoft or VMWare WorkStation from
    www.vmware.com.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    Joe Rabbit wrote:
    > Where can i download Win 3.1 or a Win 3.1 emulator for Windows Xp to run my
    > Win 3.1 application that doesnt function in XP compatability mode

    There's likely nonesuch. What you can do is purchase either
    Microsoft's VirtualPC or VMWare to create a virtual computer, and then
    you can purchase MS-DOS and Win3.1 to install on that virtual machine.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC will do the job

    Various emulators
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/emulators/pc.shtml

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "Joe Rabbit" <nospam1254Rabbit@symantec.com> wrote in message
    > Where can i download Win 3.1 or a Win 3.1 emulator for Windows Xp to run
    > my
    > Win 3.1 application that doesnt function in XP compatability mode

    thanks , i need a free emulator

    "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote in message
    > VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC will do the job
    >
    > Various emulators
    > http://www.thefreecountry.com/emulators/pc.shtml
    >
    > Regards
    > Mark Dormer
    >
    > "Joe Rabbit" <nospam1254Rabbit@symantec.com> wrote in message
    > > Where can i download Win 3.1 or a Win 3.1 emulator for Windows Xp to run
    > > my
    > > Win 3.1 application that doesnt function in XP compatability mode

  6. I would think the 'cheapest' option would be to just grab DosBox which is very awesome... and if you're like me, dig up your old Win3.11 floppies to prove to yourself that you still own the software to justify the next step... downloading them from teh internetz because you no longer actually /have/ a floppy drive.

    Run an instance of DosBox using a directory on your drive as a virtual C: drive so that what you work on is DosBox remains permanent. Install Win3.11 to that C: drive and you're good to go.

    Is it running too fast? Dial back the power of the emulated CPU. Too slow? Boost it up a little. There are tons of tweaks to be accomplished. Really a wonderful piece of software.

    -Eric
  7. Dos box and get windows 3.1 at http://www.vetusware.com/
  8. what the product id windows 3.1
    Quote:

    thanks , i need a free emulator

    "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote in message
    > VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC will do the job
    >
    > Various emulators
    > http://www.thefreecountry.com/emulators/pc.shtml
    >
    > Regards
    > Mark Dormer
    >
    > "Joe Rabbit" <nospam1254Rabbit@symantec.com> wrote in message
    > > Where can i download Win 3.1 or a Win 3.1 emulator for Windows Xp to run
    > > my
    > > Win 3.1 application that doesnt function in XP compatability mode

Download Support Windows XP Microsoft Emulator