Want to Fix AutoRun Wizard

I have WinXP Pro and have always had problems with the autorun wizard
picking up memory cards from my cameras. I do a lot of digital
photography and use four different cards, all different types. About
a year ago, my autorun wizard stopped popping up when I attached a
USB cable from my camera to download the images. I went out and
bought a Lexar multi-card reader and it has worked fine for me. The
other day, that changed. I had some intermittent 'luck' in getting it
to 'see' the cards I inserted in the hardware. Now it doesn't work at
all. I've tried reinstalling the software, reconnect the hardware a
few times. The other day when this new problem started, I checked
through MY COMPUTER and saw little red boxes by three of the four
drives that this unit uses. Those boxes are gone.

Yesterday I got in a live chat with Lexar support and the man was
trying to walk me through a process of renaming my drives. He took me
into Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management, and we were
going to change the Drive letters under Disk Management, but the
drives for the media reader were not listed. They were listed in
Device Management.

Just now I checked that same place and noticed a new drive listed. I
didn't add anything. It's listed as a removable disk, 489 MB FAT,
healthy and working properly. My main system is set to NTFS. This
was not listed yesterday and when I look at the properties, it says it
is a Lexar unit. That's the company that manufactures my card reader.
I am POSITIVE this was not listed yesterday.

ALL the USB devices I have used include various camera cables until I
got the multicard reader a few months ago, an Iomega Zip drive, the
multcard reader, and recently, flash memory device.

As I said earlier, I had issues with this wizard popping up before I
got the multi-card reader, which when I installed it, seemed to
straighten out the problem.

Yesterday I downloaded and ran an autorun wizard fix tool from MS,
when I run it and try to re-enact the event (entering the memory card
into the slot), the fix wizard runs and does not 'see' the problem I
get a message saying either the hardware isn't working or the wizard
cannot determine the problem. When I ran this wizard, I noticed those
little red boxes by the drives listed. All the drives were on the
list for the four different card types.

It does work intermittently, where if I enter a memory card, the
wizard will pop up but if I try it again, the wizard does not
reappear.

Since I had these problems before I ever installed the Lexar
multi-card reader, I am thinking my problem is with Windows, not the
reader.

Have any ideas on this?

Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the USB Hub device(s), Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
device drivers again automatically.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Edw. Peach" <bogus_addie@none.net> wrote in message news:fv5oa11be85fr97k89vuqe4jpkekkchkb9@4ax.com...
> Want to Fix AutoRun Wizard
>
> I have WinXP Pro and have always had problems with the autorun wizard
> picking up memory cards from my cameras. I do a lot of digital
> photography and use four different cards, all different types. About
> a year ago, my autorun wizard stopped popping up when I attached a
> USB cable from my camera to download the images. I went out and
> bought a Lexar multi-card reader and it has worked fine for me. The
> other day, that changed. I had some intermittent 'luck' in getting it
> to 'see' the cards I inserted in the hardware. Now it doesn't work at
> all. I've tried reinstalling the software, reconnect the hardware a
> few times. The other day when this new problem started, I checked
> through MY COMPUTER and saw little red boxes by three of the four
> drives that this unit uses. Those boxes are gone.
>
> Yesterday I got in a live chat with Lexar support and the man was
> trying to walk me through a process of renaming my drives. He took me
> into Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management, and we were
> going to change the Drive letters under Disk Management, but the
> drives for the media reader were not listed. They were listed in
> Device Management.
>
> Just now I checked that same place and noticed a new drive listed. I
> didn't add anything. It's listed as a removable disk, 489 MB FAT,
> healthy and working properly. My main system is set to NTFS. This
> was not listed yesterday and when I look at the properties, it says it
> is a Lexar unit. That's the company that manufactures my card reader.
> I am POSITIVE this was not listed yesterday.
>
> ALL the USB devices I have used include various camera cables until I
> got the multicard reader a few months ago, an Iomega Zip drive, the
> multcard reader, and recently, flash memory device.
>
> As I said earlier, I had issues with this wizard popping up before I
> got the multi-card reader, which when I installed it, seemed to
> straighten out the problem.
>
> Yesterday I downloaded and ran an autorun wizard fix tool from MS,
> when I run it and try to re-enact the event (entering the memory card
> into the slot), the fix wizard runs and does not 'see' the problem I
> get a message saying either the hardware isn't working or the wizard
> cannot determine the problem. When I ran this wizard, I noticed those
> little red boxes by the drives listed. All the drives were on the
> list for the four different card types.
>
> It does work intermittently, where if I enter a memory card, the
> wizard will pop up but if I try it again, the wizard does not
> reappear.
>
> Since I had these problems before I ever installed the Lexar
> multi-card reader, I am thinking my problem is with Windows, not the
> reader.
>
> Have any ideas on this?

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:05:22 -0500, "Mark L. Ferguson"
<marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the USB Hub device(s), Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
>device drivers again automatically.

Under Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers...

This is what I find there. For the Mass Storage Devices, I have added
the information in ( ) as I was able to ID this hardware from
'properties.' The Zip 100 is an Iomega Zip Drive. The Multi-Card
Reader is by Lexar, the one I'm having problems with. I do not
understand exactly what all these items are on the list. What is my
course of action now?

The List:

Universal Serial Bus Controllers
->Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
->Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
->Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
->Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
->USB Mass Storage Device (Zip 100)
->USB Mass Storage Device (Multi-Card Reader)
->USB Root Hub
->USB Root Hub
->USB Root Hub
->USB Root Hub