Trying to delete from Favorites

I would really appreciate some help - various folders/subfolders and files
have appeared in my Favorities, however they do not appear when I select
Organize - how can I get rid of them - I have checked that view is showing
all folders (nothing hidden) etc?
--
Julie Jules
7 answers Last reply

    One way that is simple is: Start>Search>type FAVORITES and press Enter.
    Now you'll get a listing of all Favorites files. Doubleclick the ones with
    the
    Folder icon to see the contents. You can then rightclick and click Delete for
    all the items you don't want. Have fun. :~)
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "Julie Jules" wrote:

    > I would really appreciate some help - various folders/subfolders and files
    > have appeared in my Favorities, however they do not appear when I select
    > Organize - how can I get rid of them - I have checked that view is showing
    > all folders (nothing hidden) etc?
    > --
    > Julie Jules

    Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they still do not appear - have you got
    any other ideas?
    --
    Julie Jules

    "Byte" wrote:

    > One way that is simple is: Start>Search>type FAVORITES and press Enter.
    > Now you'll get a listing of all Favorites files. Doubleclick the ones with
    > the
    > Folder icon to see the contents. You can then rightclick and click Delete for
    > all the items you don't want. Have fun. :~)
    > --
    > Some days you're the windshield,
    > some days you're the bug.
    >

    > "Julie Jules" wrote:
    >
    > > I would really appreciate some help - various folders/subfolders and files
    > > have appeared in my Favorities, however they do not appear when I select
    > > Organize - how can I get rid of them - I have checked that view is showing
    > > all folders (nothing hidden) etc?
    > > --
    > > Julie Jules

    Paste this in Start | Run and click OK...

    %homepath%\Favorites

    ---

    To display Hidden files and folders...

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
    Check:
    ? Display the contents of system folders
    ? Show hidden files and folders
    UNCheck:
    ? Hide protected operating system files
    Apply | OK

    [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
    typical items.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2BB79A3D-A93D-417E-B973-B993F75970D1@microsoft.com,
    Julie Jules <JulieJules@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they still do not appear - have you
    > got any other ideas?
    > --
    > Julie Jules
    >

    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    >> One way that is simple is: Start>Search>type FAVORITES and press Enter.
    >> Now you'll get a listing of all Favorites files. Doubleclick the ones
    >> with the
    >> Folder icon to see the contents. You can then rightclick and click
    >> Delete for all the items you don't want. Have fun. :~)
    >> --
    >> Some days you're the windshield,
    >> some days you're the bug.
    >>

    >> "Julie Jules" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would really appreciate some help - various folders/subfolders and
    >>> files have appeared in my Favorities, however they do not appear when I
    >>> select Organize - how can I get rid of them - I have checked that view
    >>> is showing all folders (nothing hidden) etc?
    >>> --
    >>> Julie Jules

    Hi Thanks for your response

    No luck I'm afraid - There are about 60/70 folders/subfolders/files added to
    Favorites and I cannot right click to delete, they do not appear when I click
    organise and have tried your suggestions re/ Control Panel and still not
    showing. I have other folders/subfolders/files in my favorites that I put
    there and they show and I can right click on them as normal. Right clicking
    on these rogue folders just comes up with a Close Toolbar. All open to
    something called Open Search Web. I have no idea how they appeared, and have
    looked on the Help page which has a uninstall programme to download, however
    that has a virus!!

    I tried %homepath%\Favorites - response was \\Favorites - I double checked
    and had only put one \

    The network path was not found
    --
    Julie Jules

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Paste this in Start | Run and click OK...
    >
    > %homepath%\Favorites
    >
    > ---
    >
    > To display Hidden files and folders...
    >
    > Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
    > Check:
    > Â? Display the contents of system folders
    > Â? Show hidden files and folders
    > UNCheck:
    > Â? Hide protected operating system files
    > Apply | OK
    >
    > [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
    > typical items.]]
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:2BB79A3D-A93D-417E-B973-B993F75970D1@microsoft.com,
    > Julie Jules <JulieJules@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they still do not appear - have you
    > > got any other ideas?
    > > --
    > > Julie Jules
    > >

    > > "Byte" wrote:
    > >
    > >> One way that is simple is: Start>Search>type FAVORITES and press Enter.
    > >> Now you'll get a listing of all Favorites files. Doubleclick the ones
    > >> with the
    > >> Folder icon to see the contents. You can then rightclick and click
    > >> Delete for all the items you don't want. Have fun. :~)
    > >> --
    > >> Some days you're the windshield,
    > >> some days you're the bug.

    Have sorted the problem - my daughter had downloaded Messenger Plus, so will

    Uninstall MessengerPlus from Add/Remove Programs and reinstall later without
    all the extra sponsor stuff, then downloaded the LOP Uninstaller from
    http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/downloads.htm

    All rogue folders/files have now gone.
    --
    Julie Jules

    "Julie Jules" wrote:

    > Hi Thanks for your response
    >
    > No luck I'm afraid - There are about 60/70 folders/subfolders/files added to
    > Favorites and I cannot right click to delete, they do not appear when I click
    > organise and have tried your suggestions re/ Control Panel and still not
    > showing. I have other folders/subfolders/files in my favorites that I put
    > there and they show and I can right click on them as normal. Right clicking
    > on these rogue folders just comes up with a Close Toolbar. All open to
    > something called Open Search Web. I have no idea how they appeared, and have
    > looked on the Help page which has a uninstall programme to download, however
    > that has a virus!!
    >
    > I tried %homepath%\Favorites - response was \\Favorites - I double checked
    > and had only put one \
    >
    > The network path was not found
    > --
    > Julie Jules
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    > > Paste this in Start | Run and click OK...
    > >
    > > %homepath%\Favorites
    > >
    > > ---
    > >
    > > To display Hidden files and folders...
    > >
    > > Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
    > > Check:
    > > Â? Display the contents of system folders
    > > Â? Show hidden files and folders
    > > UNCheck:
    > > Â? Hide protected operating system files
    > > Apply | OK
    > >
    > > [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
    > > typical items.]]
    > >

    > > --
    > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >
    > > Wes
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > In news:2BB79A3D-A93D-417E-B973-B993F75970D1@microsoft.com,
    > > Julie Jules <JulieJules@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > > Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they still do not appear - have you
    > > > got any other ideas?
    > > > --
    > > > Julie Jules

    Julie,

    Start | Run | %homepath%\Favorites
    should open
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Favorites

    You have spyware, scumware or whatever you want to call it.

    Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. If you do not have
    SP2, get it

    First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
    answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
    Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

    Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
    components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
    perform a particular task.]]

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
    page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
    particular task.]]

    Apply | OK

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
    whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
    -----

    Second. If you need a scan right now.

    Follow the instructions!
    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    -----

    Third.
    It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
    Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
    good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
    just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
    you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
    anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

    1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

    1a) CWShredder ver. 2.13 direct download:
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

    2) SpywareBlaster
    [[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
    ever being installed.
    The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
    SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

    3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

    4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)

    4a) HijackThis (direct download)
    http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

    5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    6) ToolbarCop
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    7) Ad-aware SE Personal

    -----

    HijackThis log tutorial
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

    HijackThis Log Tutorial
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

    How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

    How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
    http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

    HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877

    -----

    MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    -----

    Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml

    Additional information & instructions.
    A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

    Spyware and Deceptive Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1

    What you should know about spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    Cleaning Up XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DB837F47-650C-41D1-B15C-6EB6775D12C4@microsoft.com,
    Julie Jules <JulieJules@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Thanks for your response
    >
    > No luck I'm afraid - There are about 60/70 folders/subfolders/files added
    > to Favorites and I cannot right click to delete, they do not appear when
    > I click organise and have tried your suggestions re/ Control Panel and
    > still not showing. I have other folders/subfolders/files in my favorites
    > that I put there and they show and I can right click on them as normal.
    > Right clicking on these rogue folders just comes up with a Close Toolbar.
    > All open to something called Open Search Web. I have no idea how they
    > appeared, and have looked on the Help page which has a uninstall
    > programme to download, however that has a virus!!
    >
    > I tried %homepath%\Favorites - response was \\Favorites - I double checked
    > and had only put one \
    >
    > The network path was not found
    > --
    > Julie Jules
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Paste this in Start | Run and click OK...
    >>
    >> %homepath%\Favorites
    >>
    >> ---
    >>
    >> To display Hidden files and folders...
    >>
    >> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
    >> Check:
    >> Â? Display the contents of system folders
    >> Â? Show hidden files and folders
    >> UNCheck:
    >> Â? Hide protected operating system files
    >> Apply | OK
    >>
    >> [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
    >> typical items.]]
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:2BB79A3D-A93D-417E-B973-B993F75970D1@microsoft.com,
    >> Julie Jules <JulieJules@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they still do not appear - have you
    >>> got any other ideas?
    >>> --
    >>> Julie Jules

    I am deleting my favorites file and for a while it shows empty , soon after
    though all the sites visited re appears. How can I finally clear that
    favorites file? I'm not even making the sites I visit favorites. Please.
    Henry

    "Julie Jules" wrote:

    > I would really appreciate some help - various folders/subfolders and files
    > have appeared in my Favorities, however they do not appear when I select
    > Organize - how can I get rid of them - I have checked that view is showing
    > all folders (nothing hidden) etc?
    > --
    > Julie Jules

Favorites Windows XP