Trying to delete from Favorites

I would really appreciate some help - various folders/subfolders and files
have appeared in my Favorities, however they do not appear when I select
Organize - how can I get rid of them - I have checked that view is showing
all folders (nothing hidden) etc?
--
Julie Jules

Byte

One way that is simple is: Start>Search>type FAVORITES and press Enter.
Now you'll get a listing of all Favorites files. Doubleclick the ones with
the
Folder icon to see the contents. You can then rightclick and click Delete for
all the items you don't want. Have fun. :~)
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Julie Jules" wrote:

> I would really appreciate some help - various folders/subfolders and files
> have appeared in my Favorities, however they do not appear when I select
> Organize - how can I get rid of them - I have checked that view is showing
> all folders (nothing hidden) etc?
> --
> Julie Jules

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they still do not appear - have you got
any other ideas?
--
Julie Jules

"Byte" wrote:

> One way that is simple is: Start>Search>type FAVORITES and press Enter.
> Now you'll get a listing of all Favorites files. Doubleclick the ones with
> the
> Folder icon to see the contents. You can then rightclick and click Delete for
> all the items you don't want. Have fun. :~)
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>

> "Julie Jules" wrote:
>
> > I would really appreciate some help - various folders/subfolders and files
> > have appeared in my Favorities, however they do not appear when I select
> > Organize - how can I get rid of them - I have checked that view is showing
> > all folders (nothing hidden) etc?
> > --
> > Julie Jules

Paste this in Start | Run and click OK...

%homepath%\Favorites

---

To display Hidden files and folders...

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
Check:
? Display the contents of system folders
? Show hidden files and folders
UNCheck:
? Hide protected operating system files
Apply | OK

[[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
typical items.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2BB79A3D-A93D-417E-B973-B993F75970D1@microsoft.com,
Julie Jules <JulieJules@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they still do not appear - have you
> got any other ideas?
> --
> Julie Jules
>

> "Byte" wrote:
>
>> One way that is simple is: Start>Search>type FAVORITES and press Enter.
>> Now you'll get a listing of all Favorites files. Doubleclick the ones
>> with the
>> Folder icon to see the contents. You can then rightclick and click
>> Delete for all the items you don't want. Have fun. :~)
>> --
>> Some days you're the windshield,
>> some days you're the bug.
>>

>> "Julie Jules" wrote:
>>
>>> I would really appreciate some help - various folders/subfolders and
>>> files have appeared in my Favorities, however they do not appear when I
>>> select Organize - how can I get rid of them - I have checked that view
>>> is showing all folders (nothing hidden) etc?
>>> --
>>> Julie Jules

Hi Thanks for your response

No luck I'm afraid - There are about 60/70 folders/subfolders/files added to
Favorites and I cannot right click to delete, they do not appear when I click
organise and have tried your suggestions re/ Control Panel and still not
showing. I have other folders/subfolders/files in my favorites that I put
there and they show and I can right click on them as normal. Right clicking
on these rogue folders just comes up with a Close Toolbar. All open to
something called Open Search Web. I have no idea how they appeared, and have
looked on the Help page which has a uninstall programme to download, however
that has a virus!!

I tried %homepath%\Favorites - response was \\Favorites - I double checked
and had only put one \

The network path was not found
--
Julie Jules

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Paste this in Start | Run and click OK...
>
> %homepath%\Favorites
>
> ---
>
> To display Hidden files and folders...
>
> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
> Check:
> Â? Display the contents of system folders
> Â? Show hidden files and folders
> UNCheck:
> Â? Hide protected operating system files
> Apply | OK
>
> [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
> typical items.]]
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:2BB79A3D-A93D-417E-B973-B993F75970D1@microsoft.com,
> Julie Jules <JulieJules@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they still do not appear - have you
> > got any other ideas?
> > --
> > Julie Jules
> >

> > "Byte" wrote:
> >
> >> One way that is simple is: Start>Search>type FAVORITES and press Enter.
> >> Now you'll get a listing of all Favorites files. Doubleclick the ones
> >> with the
> >> Folder icon to see the contents. You can then rightclick and click
> >> Delete for all the items you don't want. Have fun. :~)
> >> --
> >> Some days you're the windshield,
> >> some days you're the bug.

Have sorted the problem - my daughter had downloaded Messenger Plus, so will

Uninstall MessengerPlus from Add/Remove Programs and reinstall later without
all the extra sponsor stuff, then downloaded the LOP Uninstaller from
http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/downloads.htm

All rogue folders/files have now gone.
--
Julie Jules

"Julie Jules" wrote:

> Hi Thanks for your response
>
> No luck I'm afraid - There are about 60/70 folders/subfolders/files added to
> Favorites and I cannot right click to delete, they do not appear when I click
> organise and have tried your suggestions re/ Control Panel and still not
> showing. I have other folders/subfolders/files in my favorites that I put
> there and they show and I can right click on them as normal. Right clicking
> on these rogue folders just comes up with a Close Toolbar. All open to
> something called Open Search Web. I have no idea how they appeared, and have
> looked on the Help page which has a uninstall programme to download, however
> that has a virus!!
>
> I tried %homepath%\Favorites - response was \\Favorites - I double checked
> and had only put one \
>
> The network path was not found
> --
> Julie Jules
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > Paste this in Start | Run and click OK...
> >
> > %homepath%\Favorites
> >
> > ---
> >
> > To display Hidden files and folders...
> >
> > Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
> > Check:
> > Â? Display the contents of system folders
> > Â? Show hidden files and folders
> > UNCheck:
> > Â? Hide protected operating system files
> > Apply | OK
> >
> > [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
> > typical items.]]
> >

> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:2BB79A3D-A93D-417E-B973-B993F75970D1@microsoft.com,
> > Julie Jules <JulieJules@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they still do not appear - have you
> > > got any other ideas?
> > > --
> > > Julie Jules

Julie,

Start | Run | %homepath%\Favorites
should open
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Favorites

You have spyware, scumware or whatever you want to call it.

Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. If you do not have
SP2, get it

First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
perform a particular task.]]

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
particular task.]]

Apply | OK

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
-----

Second. If you need a scan right now.

Follow the instructions!
THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

-----

Third.
It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

1a) CWShredder ver. 2.13 direct download:
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

2) SpywareBlaster
[[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
ever being installed.
The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)

4a) HijackThis (direct download)
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

6) ToolbarCop
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

7) Ad-aware SE Personal

-----

HijackThis log tutorial
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

HijackThis Log Tutorial
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877

-----

MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

-----

Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml

Additional information & instructions.
A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

Spyware and Deceptive Software
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1

What you should know about spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

Cleaning Up XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:DB837F47-650C-41D1-B15C-6EB6775D12C4@microsoft.com,
Julie Jules <JulieJules@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Thanks for your response
>
> No luck I'm afraid - There are about 60/70 folders/subfolders/files added
> to Favorites and I cannot right click to delete, they do not appear when
> I click organise and have tried your suggestions re/ Control Panel and
> still not showing. I have other folders/subfolders/files in my favorites
> that I put there and they show and I can right click on them as normal.
> Right clicking on these rogue folders just comes up with a Close Toolbar.
> All open to something called Open Search Web. I have no idea how they
> appeared, and have looked on the Help page which has a uninstall
> programme to download, however that has a virus!!
>
> I tried %homepath%\Favorites - response was \\Favorites - I double checked
> and had only put one \
>
> The network path was not found
> --
> Julie Jules
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Paste this in Start | Run and click OK...
>>
>> %homepath%\Favorites
>>
>> ---
>>
>> To display Hidden files and folders...
>>
>> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
>> Check:
>> Â? Display the contents of system folders
>> Â? Show hidden files and folders
>> UNCheck:
>> Â? Hide protected operating system files
>> Apply | OK
>>
>> [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
>> typical items.]]
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:2BB79A3D-A93D-417E-B973-B993F75970D1@microsoft.com,
>> Julie Jules <JulieJules@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Thanks for your reply, unfortunately they still do not appear - have you
>>> got any other ideas?
>>> --
>>> Julie Jules

I am deleting my favorites file and for a while it shows empty , soon after
though all the sites visited re appears. How can I finally clear that
favorites file? I'm not even making the sites I visit favorites. Please.
Henry